Mid Life Crisis question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
The answer, assuming there actually is one, will always depend on which respective religion and / or branch of philosophy you enquire into.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Does philosophy necessarily have to be tied to religion though? Agreed it is difficult to separate, but not impossible.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nudging a bit close to banned subjects I fear - I will continue this chat under a tree but not on line :)
I fear a yellow card....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mr. Fenna is wise and indeed prophetic, we can wander to the philosophical without getting as far into the religious as we have been. We try to keep it secular here so please take note.
Thanks,
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Mr. Fenna is wise and indeed prophetic, we can wander to the philosophical without getting as far into the religious as we have been. We try to keep it secular here so please take note.
Thanks,
GB.

It could end up with philosophy getting shunted into no go area given its contentious nature :(

My only question is, does the yellow card get its yellow from Hugh's Sunshine sauce? :p

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Practically speaking yes, if its part of our experience of life then it falls under 'philosophy'. Under the five main branches of philosophy there are lots of subdivisions, one being 'the philosophy of religion', obviously you would study this if it was your particular area of enquiry.

For someone who has any type of religious beliefs it would be difficult to ask a question about life without religion being integral to the answer, after all its how they view their own and sometimes others existence / purpose.

The opposite of your question is more likely true, religion does not necessarily have to be tied to philosophy unless you want it to, you could FOLLOW a religion without ever really straying into the academic areas of philosophy, in fact many never stray into the academic areas of religion STUDY itself.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have some pretty strongly held views on religion. I answered the origional question without getting into them. I keep them to myself. I've sat and read as folk who should know better have skipped up to the fence to try and play tag with it. This thread has been drawing attention and is on a shoogly peg. There is no religious talk on the threads.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
How many of you have figured out what it is you were put on this earth to do, or is it still as much of a mystery to you, as it is to me?

Buy knives to place in a drawer. Repeat as frequently as funds and the desire for a new rifle permits.

Die in the backwoods

K

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
To talk about religion in general, as an aspect of life, is not too contentious.

But which is the best knife for bushcraft, that could start a punch up in a monastery! LOL!

As for Bear Grylls... there I dare not venture. 😭(Thanks John!)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I would like to point out that all of us on here are atheists, and I can state and prove that with absolute certainty. Those who claim to be religious don't believe in the 99,999 other gods (actually almost certainly more than that) that have been followed by humans in the last 500,00 years or so, apart from their own one.

QED:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE