Macho?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What did the Romans ever do for us?

There's a whole other thread there I reckon. :p

Hold up Wayland! Surely it should be "What did the Vikings ever do for us?" Now that would be a thread you could start and help to educate others. :D
Sóti: - What did the Vikings ever do for us eh?

Kali: - Well Sóti they did bring us cod liver oil!

Sóti: - Right apart from cod liver oil ....

And so it could go on....

TTFN
Goatboy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Luke... I know what you're getting for Xmas........

I have felt your presents.......
vader.gif

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Fascinating thread. You might note that there is macho, there is manly and there is just plain male. Different words, somewhat different meanings but probably all irrelevant to the basic division of man's work and woman's work. That has different meanings in different places. For some, factory work is woman's work. Mining, logging, things like that, that's man's work. Farming? Now that's confused. Some of it is man's work but any of it could be done by a woman, yet it is sedentary, so it isn't especially macho, even if it is manly. Same with ranching or raising cattle. The word ranching isn't used so much in the east but cattle and horses area raised here just the same. However, I understand that sheep herding is a man's job.

I'm from the hills of West Virginia, which is a land of tough and capable women, yet there is no place with a clearer division of men's things and women's things, only it isn't always what you think it might be. Because the woman's place is in the kitchen (after her outside chores are done), she is the one who tends the fire, not the man, though he is the one who manages the wood supply. In the absense of a man, the woman, usually old by then, has to do it all. In the absence of a woman, everything is turned upside down. If there is a boy around (there isn't always), he had to take on many chores, starting with taking out the ashes.

My mother was an invalid, so my father, a truck driver, had to do most everything when he was at home, which included cooking and gardening. There was no confusion of gender roles. He didn't clean house, however, since we had help.

Army life can do strange things to people. My son served over three years as a tank crewman, half of that in Iraq. He now happily cooks for himself and so on and things have to be proper and correct. I served in the army, too, and I'm the same way and sometimes we have our conflicts because I guess we aren't on the same page or something. It's like we're operating under different standing orders. My daughter, on the other hand, never served (her boy friend's in the air force at the moment) and so is hopeless from our standpoint. Oh, and my son's hobbies include biking and is always rebuilding his 15 year old mountain bike, is the in-house computer expert and even goes camping now and then.

I think that in spite of the Victorian ideal of man and woman division of labor and other distinctions applied mostly to such classes as could afford to have the woman stay at home and even more so, to those that did not require her to work (the work being done by other men and women) and so for that reason, no one has mentioned "ladies" or "gentlemen" in this thread.

No one at all knits or crochets in our house.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Cooking is a great example.

I still know people who think cooking is "women's work" but a barbecue is a man's job. :confused:

I love cooking, I look forward to doing a bit of camp fire cooking every now and again but I also do most of it at home these days.

Only the “Macho” variety for me I’m afraid:

outdoorcooking2.jpg

Even SWMBO understands this now!

Cheers

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I can do the macho stuff, I can sew knit and tatt but apart from logging on and being able to find my way to search engines and forums computers confuse the heck out of me. Wood working easy I cut a piece of wood to make a joint I see where I've cut. Tatting, I loop and knot a length of cord I can see where I have worked on the edge of a cloth. on the computer I push a button and all sorts of things happen that I cant see why or how they happen it's all trickery to me

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Surely the most important question is.......................who is the attractive smith in Eric's photo? More importantly where does she live?

Never mind just googled female blacksmiths and found the article from the mail!
Just got to go and eradicate my pervy gene!
Why is a female blacksmith so alluring?

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Yes, I think it goes way back. Males seem predisposed to protect females, so anything involving risk (like hunting, military service) generates alot of resistance.

But other species seem to have gone the other direction, like Lions, the female is the hunter. Theory being they are more agile, and less encumbered with not having a mane.

Males protect females because they are accumulating a harem. The majority of mammalian species who live in groups breed in this manner, with dominant males servicing a larger number of females. Monogamy is unnatural and probably the root cause of much social tension in human society.

As far as lions are concerned, if a mane is an impediment to hunting, they why doesn't it get in the way when the dominant male fights off a challenger? And if it impedes hunting, how do bachelor males survive in the wild on their own after being turfed out of Dad's pride when they reach maturity? No, male lions are frequently observed hunting.

The reason females of the pride do it is more to do with the fact that lion hunting strategy is a co-operative endeavour. They work as a group to take down prey - a strategy that probably developed due to the lack of good cover in most lion habitat which precludes lone stalking, like a tiger would in dense forest. There is usually only one mature male in a pride, so he'd have a hard time providing all the necessary meat for all his females and their cubs, so simple rule of numbers says that all the females are needed to hunt.

That, and the fact that the male lion spends his very brief time in charge constantly looking out for contenders. Most don't survive longer than 3 years as the top cat in the pride before some young turk rips them a new one and throws them out to die, alone and toothless, in the no-lions-land between prides :(

It's tough at the top :cool:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Surely the most important question is.......................who is the attractive smith in Eric's photo? More importantly where does she live?

Never mind just googled female blacksmiths and found the article from the mail!
Just got to go and eradicate my pervy gene!
Why is a female blacksmith so alluring?

That strong hammering arm maybe?:ban:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE