Macho?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Remember that bit in "The Outlaw Josey Wales" where the kid has been shot and tells Josey about the decoration on his shirt? His dad embroidered it for him. Not a "practical" skill, in that the shirt worked perfectly well without it, but it meant something to do such embellishment for his son.

It's fiction and entertainment, of course, but I don't doubt the realism of that piece. We see rodeo cowboys and country singers wearing sequinned and embroidered shirts and tend to smirk at the camp fakery of it, but putting a personal mark on our belongings has been important to us for as long as Man has had the time and tools to do it. Doing so isn't "macho" and can't be glibly explained away as essential maintenance or repair, so surely it must not be a suitable skill for a man? What absolute nonsense. More than once I've had friends and co-workers express surprise when they have found me sewing a repair to clothes and gear. Next thing you know they're wandering over with a sheepish expression and a shirt with a hole in it... If my skill extended to decoration as well as patching I'd do that too, without worrying about the effect on my manly image.

Women can build fighter 'planes and blokes can cook gourmet dinners. We've seen it happen time and again, so any arguments for skills being restricted to either sex strike me as utter bunkum. Wear your skills (and embroidery, if you like) with pride!

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I would agree with what seems to be the consensus here, in that the whole idea of man's work/woman's work is probably Victorian. They were big on creating myths like that... besides, as already mentioned, many of these were just skills/crafts. Often, survival skills. Think of a sailing ship at sea for months at a time, who's going to repair a sail if the crew's all male? There is much evidence of women working in blacksmithing if you look beyond the Victorian period. IIRC one of the Crusades king's top armourer went off with the crusade... and left his wife in charge of his smithy at home. Not just telling the apprentices and journeymen 'make a breastplate', but 'this is how you make a breastplate.'

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Probably all my fantasies could culminate in the image of a lady blacksmith. Blonde, hair in braids, about 6' 2" tall, full lips, sparkling blue eyes, in her late thirties, strong arms and thighs, slim waist, bit of a six pack and small but firm breasts and with a wicked sense of humour. Not afraid of a good wrestle. I think I'd probably last about a week with a woman like that - but what a way to go!

Summat like her.
1LucyBlacksmithNNP_468x544.jpg

Eric

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've had more than a few raised eyebrows when I've admitted to knitting. It's something that I should try again I guess, though I'm not entirely sure what I'd want to make!

I knitted a jumper a few years ago. It wouldn't have won and prizes but I was chuffed that I managed to do it. The fishermen in Scotland used to knit when they were at sea and you could recognise where a fisherman came from by the pattern on his ganzie, or jumper. I would imagine that north sea fishermen would quafily as macho.:D

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Probably all my fantasies could culminate in the image of a lady blacksmith. Blonde, hair in braids, about 6' 2" tall, full lips, sparkling blue eyes, in her late thirties, strong arms and thighs, slim waist, bit of a six pack and small but firm breasts and with a wicked sense of humour. Not afraid of a good wrestle. I think I'd probably last about a week with a woman like that - but what a way to go!

Hahah

In full agreement, and fortunately I'm 6'4", someone taller than me just wouldn't work :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire

Summat like her.

Eric

Eric, Go outside and have a cold shower! Such images are not good for any of us!!!:lmao:

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Any skill that can give me an edge a survival situation is a macho skill, I can sew, knit, cook, work leather, wood, metal and more. I have been a shsde tree mechanic, done computer repair, worked as an electrician,network administrtaor, and electronic technician.

I agree with JoJo's comment about the raised eyebrow, for several weeks I have led my boy scout troop in building modern style (tubing and synthetic web). One of the fathers mentioned this at a boy scout district council meeting and was asked why when we could just buy them? Apperently the sense of pride and the hands on experience means nothing.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Summat like her.

Eric

Oh my...

You know, I've just had an idea: a money spinner for BCUK. How about a calendar called: "WOMEN OF BUSHCRAFT"

What do you reckon? Your lady above as January, and we could get the other female BCUKers to do the other 11 months. Bow drilling, plant collection, etc. What do you reckon, Toddy? You game?

Of course, the men would reciprocate: I'll kick off with some naked fishing (except for wellies, of course; I'm not stupid), or fungi collection, with a strategically placed button mushroom.

Any other ideas? :D

BOD

That was an interesting diversion into the unspoken mind of the bushcrafter.:)

While Victorian patriarchy may account for the relatively recent definition of male and female roles and mammoth hunting / nurturing young infants for a paleolithic division of labour, it is rare for any society to have a complete overlap between male and female roles.

Perceptions of fertility and religion usually influence male and female roles, women are often seen as crucial to planting and good harvests. Both sexes may clear land but only women may plant or sow for instance.

I'd pick a traditional native woman over most men as companion to survive in the wilderness which I understand is what the early explorers of North America did.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:) Just spotted this one myself.

I'm not sure why I mentioned the 'macho' bit - I'm assuming that it was just the combination of sewing, flowers and making things smell nice :cool: :D

As a family we don't split chores into what could be classed as male and female roles. I do the majority of the cooking but I suppose that because I enjoy cooking and will do the clothes washing on occasion. I'll even do a spot of ironing and tidying etc. When the kids were young I'd change nappies, bathe them, read stories and what-have-you.

Anyway, nice to a comment of mine has developed into good thought provoking thread :)

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
:) You know what it's like, you go away for a couple of days and so much goes on here it takes ages to catch up.

I just want to add to my previous post that Nat actually does far more work around the house and with the kids than I do or give her credit for.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've just bought a sewing machine and started making clothing (results to be posted soon).

Have you seen the sewing pattern sites? Talk about reverse descrimination!

I couldn't give a monkey's what's macho and what isn't, but I'm certainly aware of raised eyebrows when people ask me what I've been up to lately.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'm thinking that skills learnt are those required by contemporary society. In the past, the skill practiced have been skills needed to thrive and survive. The consolidate the family unit and promote it's well being. As many have said before, todays society seems to be a disposable one where if something wears out, it is replaced mainly due to the fact that to by a quality item that lasts is expensive. It is percieved that if you buy cheaper, then when it breaks, it is replaced and not that if you buy expensive it lasts.

It's just a pity that the skills that are seen as valuable by society today are electronic games, burglary, petty theft and benefit fraud! :rolleyes:

By the way Eric, she's a honey! AND she's fettling!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE