Log cabin office

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Settling isn't an issue, its part of the design. Accomadating for settling is something that is explained in books/online and isn't anything difficult for a carpenter to grasp. Having the free time and having access/skill to use a chainsaw & axe are the biggest issues with log buildings. That and moving the dam things about :)

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's built into the design of a prefab. But you were talking about a DIY from just cut logs. Yeah most carpenters easily comprehend the settling from conventional timber building; but not on the scale that occurs with real log structures (from 8" to 14" of settling per story; more than enough to crush door frames and windows)

Oct 7, 2015
United Kingdom
Was sure I posted this last night but I must have forgot to hit post.

Anyway...below is a picture detailing overhang ratios for log construction. If anyone is interested to learn more then the best English book is the Log Construction Manual by Robert W Chambers.

Yeah you are right settling is enough to break doors/windows but I was referring to log houses when I said settling is part of the design.

dda4ae4785768eff5fc8be09abde46d6.jpg

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Ha ha, thanks for the ego boost Pete, yeah, I could build one, it would just take longer and there's a good chance that as mrcharly is right in that it would cost more than buying it in kit form.

woodstock, that sounds fab, what sort of size is it? £1800 is great value...

one room is like 10x8 and the second is about box room size I will get the name of the supplier and the proper spec for you.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE