Log cabin materials, some help please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I like the short log construction method. The pre milled cabin kit is probably the most cost effective way to get what we want. . . but it sure as hell takes the fun out of it.

From this ive found out what I was dreading, but expecting. It's gonna be difficult to get the quintessential log cabin without spending too much for what is essential a bit of fun.
next stage down, the short log construction seems good as its still logs through and through or I go for a completely different approach and build one as mountainm suggests. I'll do some elevations for different designs and see what I can get them to look like. this will take me a few days depending on how much time I have. I'll post them up here for people to see and comment on.

Cheers all.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
No help on the logs I'm afraid, but if you have the land and this kind of inclination, have you considered straw bale?

A lot cheaper.

Alex

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
My friend who owns my local haunt and play woods built a timber framed building, work of art it is too.
The walls were shiplapped from split timber and the insides were dorbed?? with straw, dung and lime. The roof was tin after doing the maths on how many shingles it would take ;) Log burner and a bunkbed in the eves, very nice.
Lot less timber than a log cabin whilst still warm and weather tight.

RobF

Dec 10, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I'd rather like to see those as well.
My father used to work in old house renovation so im fairly familiar with wattle and daub, always looks good IMO.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The only shots i seem to be able to find are part of a background rather than the building its self.
Will keep looking but these should be able to give you a rough idea.

IMAG0281-1.jpg

Can see a bit of the shiplap here

IMAG0285-2.jpg

Inside lighting stove you can see the timber and dorb.

IMAG1065_BURST002.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
sounds like you want a lorry load of softwood phone local forstry commission, they defo have what you want in Thetford and maybe closer. I would opt for Douglas or Larch if you can for extended lifespan. I would expect to pay around £1000 for a lorry load of decent straight sawlogs delivered you need more than you would expect and it is harder than you would think to scribe, cut the joints and get a good fit, lots of trial fit, take log off fettle put log back, scribe take log off cut joint, put log back on etc hope you have a lot of patience and a strong back. It would be well worth spending a day or two with someone who knows how to do it rather than just getting stuck in yourself. Cormack Seekings is one of the best log builders in the UK but a mate of mine Steve Tomlin worked on one a couple of summers back and could put you in contact with other log builders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE