Log cabin Man cave project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Just a thought and I know it's a bit "swings and roundabouts" but some of the Cordwood builds I've seen seem to actually make better use of the different sized logs to make the walls.

I guessing the wind direction would make a difference for the siting of which way the door and window should face. I built a stable for the horse we owned and was all set to fit the door facing south west. Locals came along and told me to face it North. So pleased I trusted their input because all the strong winds and driving rain blows in from the south west while the north stayed sheltered. Little things like that can make such a difference.

Sorry to sound as though I'm interfering by suggesting stuff, such as the cordwood website. I'm just trying to offer you alternatives to the usual log cabin type construction. This is your build and I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

All the very best.

they look quite beautiful.

What's the advantage of them over other build types? Just being able to utilise all sizes of wood?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Pignut, glad you're cool about having input on this project. Like I said I didn't want to trample over your dream or hijack this thread.

However .... (you just knew this was coming didn't you :lmao:) I would suggest venting the chimney out the wall and then upwards above the roof line, rather than through the roof. Keeping a watertight seal on the hot pipe could be difficult, and if you went with roofing felt for the covering as well as the woodstore roof you could risk melting the felt. It's tar/bitumen based after all (burny burny :campfire:). I'm installing my own woodburner in my small house over the next couple of weeks and gave a lot of thought for where to run the chimney and I have decided with the corrugated concrete/asbestos paneled roof it's too much to expect a perfect seal. So I'm drilling through the 40mm prefab concrete wall and will fit a couple of bends into the flue then go upwards. Obviously I'd like to keep as much hot chimney pipe in the room with me before it goes outside so it will vent outside about head height I suppose.

Seeing your thread here is inspiring me to post something of my own build project. Yeah might just do that. Thanks for the kick up the butt.

All the very best mate!
:You_Rock_

they look quite beautiful.

What's the advantage of them over other build types? Just being able to utilise all sizes of wood?

Not really sure what advantages there are to traditional types of log cabin, other than like you said you can use all the wood you harvest. I'm guessing too that a log cabin in a damp climate would eventually rot, whereas the cordwood method using so much cement could potentially have those walls lasting decades if sealed and done well. They do look good, but there's something synthetic about them that I'm not sure I like. Perhaps it's seeing cement and wood side by side that jars me. I like 'em nonetheless.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Agreed mate.

I am going to go through the wall at the back. I am probably going to build the rear wall from stone. So this seems the safest option.

I would like to shingle the roof but not sure the pitch is adequate.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Update to post 1.

Think some new drawings are in order

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shingles is a great idea - I have a basic froe - there doesn't look to be much in the making of them if you can forge and grind :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its in the toolshed - I'll try and take a picture over the weekend - its just a blade with an eye at the end really :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If thinking of shingles then please dont do the numbers before you start. Especially dont consider the 1/3rd overlap.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Shingles is a great idea - I have a basic froe - there doesn't look to be much in the making of them if you can forge and grind :)

Yeah. Here's one forged from a rasp

[video=youtube;pLztEIlpH4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLztEIlpH4w[/video]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi mate - haven't photographed the froe yet (daughter home today :)) - just a thought on log peeling, I would try to get a proper spud if you can - really speeds up the process over a draw knife

129634.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE