Birch for a basket.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, everyone, I hope you all were in receipt of an enjoyable and festive Christmas. Just as a quick update, I've finished my crook knife case. I've come to ask, however, about acquiring birch bark for my next Winter craft project. I'm going to make a simple tray, not a basket, but I thought the topic title was catchy so I'm leaving it as is. I need to acquire a sheet of birch bark, but I often find it quite difficult to find any recently fallen birch trees. I mostly find Silver birch and I find the bark is not quite as ready to peel off or when it cut a piece its moisture content is very low and cracks. I'm not a fan of stagnation so I'm just wondering one thing... There's a very beautiful paper birch tree in someones garden in my neighborhood and it produces an incredible amount of really flexible bark. Back in Scotland I never came across a birch tree like this. It's magnificent. I'm assuming it's paper birch. Here's a picture of it:

4JPlkXh.jpg

Would it be honourable to ask the person if I could take some of the bark? I need quite a large sheet and it needs to be thick, well thicker than what appears to be on the tree's surface, the sort you'd usually get by cutting into the bark. That's not something I'm prepared to do. I'm just hoping maybe there's a sheet of bark I can use that's just thick enough but is naturally peeling. Taking naturally peeling bark doesn't harm the tree, correct?

If this is not possible, do you think if I do find a fallen log I'd be able to soak it in water to make it more pliable?

This is my first natural materials project, that is to say using bark specifically.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The sort of bark in your picture is great for firelighting and harvesting whats naturally peeling won't harm the tree at all. I've taken it from that type of birch many a time without any damage showing

For thicker bark go down your local woods and search out fallen birch trees that are semi rotten. You ought to find the bark can be harvested pretty easily.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The sort of bark in your picture is great for firelighting and harvesting whats naturally peeling won't harm the tree at all. I've taken it from that type of birch many a time without any damage showing

For thicker bark go down your local woods and search out fallen birch trees that are semi rotten. You ought to find the bark can be harvested pretty easily.
That's just it, Mesquite, I wouldn't have made the thread if I could find a fallen birch. I've been to five woods in my area. I'll keep looking, however.

Thanks. :)

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I think I read somewhere that they score the tree and take a little bit more (depth wise) than the paper skin. It re-grows.

(There's a couple similar outside McD's in Perth but not as big. I think they're cultivated/planted and not natural/wild)

As for chapping the door, well what's the worst that could happen. Might even get invited in for a dram and a blether. :)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I think I read somewhere that they score the tree and take a little bit more (depth wise) than the paper skin. It re-grows.

(There's a couple similar outside McD's in Perth but not as big. I think they're cultivated/planted and not natural/wild)

As for chapping the door, well what's the worst that could happen. Might even get invited in for a dram and a blether. :)
Hm, is this true? Scoring the bark to take a little bit thicker and not harming the tree? That'd be really good and just what I need. I just need to find out if the owner of said tree will indulge me.

Cheers.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's just it, Mesquite, I wouldn't have made the thread if I could find a fallen birch. I've been to five woods in my area. I'll keep looking, however.

Thanks. :)

That's the fun of the hunt :)

Just to say that any logs you might have for say firewood the bark will be pretty firmly attached and difficult, if not impossible, to harvest any really usuable pieces.

Whatever you do DO NOT take bark that's not peeling naturally from the tree.

Yes, it'll grow back but if you have to score it at all to aid in its removal it'll leave hideous scars on the tree that never go away

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mesquite.

I hear what you're saying. Never done it and there's obviously right and wrong ways.

I had a look and found this

http://nhfs.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/birch-bark-berry-basket.html

but different climates etc will no doubt affect the procedure.

I suppose unless you're really sure (unlike me) I would go with your advice.:)

Doing it as they are in the picture from your link

IMG_7588.jpg

Doesn't harm the tree in it won't die. But when I've seen where its been previously done on trees like that over here the tree has grown a hideous blackened scar tissue back where the bark was harvested and that scar is so obviously man made :(

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
There is often lots of fallen birch, especially after the storms, and it often has huge thick sheets easily removed. Keep looking and you'll find some soon. As mesquite said, that bark is a beast for firelighting! :)

Hope this helps :).

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would say bad idea taking it from someone's garden unless they're bonkers about having an ugly tree later. Possibly not the best time of year to remove it either with the sap not flowing.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Cheers for sorting that Mesquite. I understand where you're coming from.

I'm wondering if the amount of oil in birch bark and rain etc will keep it pliable.

You can buy it, so by that time it will be fairly dry so some soaking might/must be involved!

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
[video=youtube;-IwdIsuEmGQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IwdIsuEmGQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Just a very short video to show what I'm finding a lot of the time. Not ideal for what I wish to make.

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Things are rarely ideal when your using natural materials. I'd say have a go with that, I've used that in the past and when you scrape the muck off the I side it's not too bad. Just have a go mate, practice makes perfect! :)

Hope this helps :).

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Decent birch trees arn't common in Hampshire, especially South of the Downs. You will find Birches when you get off the clay and Chalk and find more sand based geology, near to you are the Woodlands around Lynchmere and Haslemere on the Surrey border which have a lot more birches and less hazel, oak and beech.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE