Log cabin Man cave project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am in the process of building myself a "man cave" it will incorporate aspects of a log cabin.. depending on how many logs I get..

Anyway I have made a start and propose a bit of blog on this thread.. feel free to post as many comments/thoughts/opinions as you like.

Here are my basic plans, it is only small but big enough for a getaway!

20131104_094314.jpg

And a layout plan of the garden, the teeny tiney square is the cabin. I may move it back yet but we will see

20131104_154305.jpg

First off was location. Where I had in mind was a little overgrown. So gathering the relative equipment together I set too..

20131102_084624.jpg

A couple of hrs in and using mostly hand tools (I couldn't find the brush cutter head for the strimmer) and progress was being made

20131102_094935.jpg

But the bramble and elder steam was very thick!

20131102_090008.jpg

By the end of the day most of the bramble was gone and a compost heap made

20130921_150012.jpg

Another 1/2 day and the area will be properly cleared.

What about the cabin/mancave I hear you cry

Well here it is so far

20131102_084628.jpg

Not ideal timber but the large one in the picutre is 50' and twin trunk with 4# 20' - 30' in the background. I think I should get a front and maybe a side out of this wood. The rest will be salvaged materials...

Quick update as someone asked to see the tools I will be using etc..

Took the oportunity of a quiet 1/2 hr to service my rough saw as you can see it was "in need"

New air filter, plug, checked over the brake/clutch assembly etc, new anti vibration springs and a good clean.

Before
20131123_175949.jpg

After
20131123_185821.jpg

Tomorrow I will run her dry and she will be good for winter..

19/12/2013

Have had a read through some planning info today. And it turns out, that if my build is more then 2m from the boundaries then I can go to 4m in height.

Well it will be well over 2m from the boundaries. I think a pitched roof is in order.

And a pitched roof means "shingles" and shingles means.... I need to make me a Froe

I suppose the new design will be more like this

20131219_205958.jpg

23/12/13

Been out to the shed for a bit as I new I had a load of old tools sat waiting for some love. These belonged to my grandfather and probably his father before. I intend to use as many traditional tool for this build as possible so set too with some scotchbright pads and sharpening stones and ended up with these..

Spoke shave for the finer details

20131223_161855.jpg

Draw knife..... because I guess those logs aint gonna peel thselves.

20131223_161936.jpg

And a hand drill (I am sure this has a different name but can recall)

20131223_161821.jpg

All are now razor sharp and fully functioning. As I get to use them in anger I will report how they work.

24/12/13

Just been up to the new property to check for any wind damage (Blew a hooley here last night) and had a root about in the garage.

And it turned this up.

20131224_124554.jpg

20131224_124540.jpg

I know it is an Adze. But is it for digging or for shaping logs?

Well it turns out it may be a coopers adze which I will press to use shaping logs.

I have made a start on the restoration.

Step 1

Vice her up and give it a once over.

20131224_170623.jpg

It has deffinatly been used in the last few years (for digging I guess as there is soil on the handle and blade) there is also a screw stopping the head sliding down the handle.

20131224_170627.jpg

The handle has signs of woodworm and the knob has broken. So a new handle will be in order.

20131224_170730.jpg

Step 2

Take the screw out to get the head off.

Well I used a driver and grips which promptly smapped the screw

20131224_170717.jpg

So with a punch to drive the screw in and gentle persuasion it started to move

20131224_170831.jpg

20131224_170838.jpg

I set the handle aside to draw round as a template

Step 3

Vice up the head and set about it with some Scotchbright to get the excess rust off

20131224_170941.jpg

I am not looking to polish this. Just remove the surface bits so she looks presentable and check for damage.

The edge is in a bad way

20131224_170928.jpg

Once the worst is of the soil and rust had gone I gave it a wipe down to reveal this

20131224_171107.jpg

Looks like P. LAW (followed by a crown)

This is how she will stay until after the festive season.

31/12/13

Had a chance to work on a few tools today whilst the kids where watching TV.

I managed to re-edge the Adze (Step 4) for this I used a slow linisher and plenty of water to keep her cool.

20131231_181118.jpg

Slowly slowy keeping the original angle I got this.

20131231_181308.jpg

It needs a polish with the oil stones and a strop but it is already good and sharp.

I also rescued an old "dibber" from the shed. I guess my great grandad made it. Looked like this.

20131231_130652.jpg

After some slow shaping on the linisher and a good sand, oil and work on the collar I had this.

20131231_175023.jpg

It is a very robust awl. Which I can also use for marking and center punching.

Any way Happy New Year and a new year the way you want it to be...

27/05/14

Finally got to do some heavy work on the grounds. I had 2# 25' trees to remove (and keep the logs for the cabin) it was a hot old job but got them cleared in a couple of days

Lower limbs off the first tree to size the job up.

First one down. And time to pose for the pictures

Second tree with limbs off and cutting out a tricky branch

Action shot of one of the twin trunks comming down

Limbing in progress

Some off the tools used

A couple of helpers (after the sharps had gone away)

And how it looks now

09/06/14

Had a bit of a play over the weekened. Between the thunder storms...

During the clearing of the top end of the garden several frogs, toads and counless species of insect where found... so the Kids (me) thought it would be a good idea to build a wildlife garden...

There is a small depression in the grass that used to be a compost heap this looked ideal so we set to and marked out a small tear drop shape with the hollow in the center.

Because there are kids running around I didnt want a huge pond but a small area of open water is essential. We opted for sinking a small storage box into the hollow of the dip (I used my newley restored spear and Jackson shovel that belonged to my Grandad)

Once the storage box was in and level. We added some rocks and bits of wood as "hidy holes and "stepping stones" all found on the property.

We then added a few more rocks and logs

The kids wove a small compost area and filled it with leaves...

All that is needed now is for the grass to grow and me to introduce some (purchased) native species

04/11/14

Finally got moved into the property (it took a year!!)

Been flat out with unpacking boxes... etc etc... more pictures to follow if there is interest.

Got a few jobs done. Cleared the remaining bits and bobs from the bramble patch and made a log store

3/1/15

Got a bit of splitting done too and some ground cover mulch on so looks a little healthier

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good thing about the cypress is that it's usually pretty uniformly straight and knotless. Can be brittle when coming down but it's open ground so you should be fine.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

Good luck,
GB.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Nice project and a lovely size garden. Dropping that tree on the lawn is going to leave a rather big dent not too bad with soft woods though.

The property belonged to my gran. Who recently passed away. And as I have so many fond memories of playing in the garden as a kid. Just could not let it be sold.

I am paying a pro (for insurance purposes anyone on here in that line of work feel free to drop me a pm) to come and fell the larger tree.

The garden front to back is 125m long and 17m wide..

Plenty of room to play

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wonderful. I'll be watching the thread with interest.

[I've toyed with the idea of booking a course with the gransfors bruk factory, to build a log cabin, and even ordered the course book, 'From Log to Log Cabin' by Sven-Gunnar Hakansson, from Calgary. I really want to know if its possible, to buy some land in the UK, and build a log cabin, in the swedish style, to use as your main home. Its something I'd like to do. Im sure it would be a true nightmare though, with bureauocracy, planning, local government etc etc who would do everything to stop you.]

Anyway, good luck with your project. It'd be interesting to see the tools you use.

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
OOH! If i lived closer, i would love to come and fell that for you, even from the photo looks straight forward, i would of course insist on some help tidying up all of that horrible brush! If you are going to have a burn up, warn the neighbours and watch the wind direction.

Nice thread, will watch with interest, not telling my granny to suck eggs, but don't get stiched up on the felling.

Ivan...

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I will watch with interest. Which way will the man cave be facing? Does the wind blow through in one direction more than others?

Oh and if it's not too late, try to get a black IBC for the rain water; it stops green stuff growing in it.

Z

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Not sure on wind direction but I can find out... why do you ask??

Biker

Just a thought and I know it's a bit "swings and roundabouts" but some of the Cordwood builds I've seen seem to actually make better use of the different sized logs to make the walls.

I guessing the wind direction would make a difference for the siting of which way the door and window should face. I built a stable for the horse we owned and was all set to fit the door facing south west. Locals came along and told me to face it North. So pleased I trusted their input because all the strong winds and driving rain blows in from the south west while the north stayed sheltered. Little things like that can make such a difference.

Sorry to sound as though I'm interfering by suggesting stuff, such as the cordwood website. I'm just trying to offer you alternatives to the usual log cabin type construction. This is your build and I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

All the very best.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just a thought...........

Sorry to sound as though I'm interfering by suggesting stuff, such as the cordwood website. I'm just trying to offer you alternatives to the usual log cabin type construction. This is your build and I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

All the very best.

Not at all. That is the reason I decided to post here. Those houses are beautiful! !! I think at least one wall will be constructed this way.

Thanks for the post

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Cheers all.

Not gonna be quick but I will update as I go. I will also list/photograph /review the tools I use as I go along (it there is interest)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE