Log cabin office

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Right then, who's got or knows about the log cabin kits you can get from loads of different garden places etc, I'm thinking (possibly dreaming) of getting one in the next year to go onto a big concrete pad I'll have in the next year...

I'm fairly proficient at carpentry and the necessary trades involved so putting it togetherness not too bothersome (and keeps the price down) so more than anything i'm wondering on opinions, I like the look of these things, although cost might be an issue (costco seem to be good prices) Forest Garden Woodbury 58mm Log Cabin 22.9 x 13.1ft (7.0 x 4.0m) this would work for an office, freeing up a bedroom in the house and also a spare place for visitors etc.

attachment.php

So, do they retain warmth well? 58mm isn't huge but it's not bad for a kit cabin, is it possible to add insulation? I'd have thought the only way would be to line it which would mean I should stick build something anyway. Underfloor insulation, or roof insulation possible? It's got double glazing as standard.
I could put a stove in, anyone done that with one of these?

Thanks all :D

Attachments

• 8848670457886.jpg
    8848670457886.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 207

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
As far as I remember you really get what you pay for with these Tony, my mum was looking at them as a 'granny flat' at one time, as she was thinking of having one built near to my brothers family.
The more whistles and bells then obviously the more they cost. If you're really good with carpentry that's half the problem solved really - no major labour or construction costs once the base slab is in, and no doubt you can insulate it. Some that we looked at had really thin timbers and slats, others were much higher quality and therefore I assume better at retaining the heat. The roof space was insulated and also boarded in the one we looked at - but after all she was going to be living in it 24/7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
Personally I would line it with insulation board, I know its more expense, but in the long run its an investment really, and nothing more frustrating than laying out cash and building something to then find in hindsight that its too cold to use or it gets damp. Much easier to build all of these things in at this stage too.... Very envious of you Tony as well mate, what a fantastic thing to have! No doubt someone on here will have some major hands on experience of these and be a bit more helpful to you Tony.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I've been looking at similar huts as this, and taking in opinions from a few mates who use them too.
The insulation of the wood itself is a joke by Swedish standards, but maybe not a problem in Wales. Comparable to any wooden shed.
The other thing (which puts me off, since it sort of defeats the plug-and-play quality of the whole thing) is that they seem to have problems with the wet stuff.
The "tongue-and-groove" slits of the walls cope badly with driving rain, which isn't an everyday occurrence in Sweden, but may well be where you are. They let small amounts of rain through the cracks, which makes the wood swell and deform, and some cracks will open up more as a result of this.

I think a good choice would be to use the "logs" as an internal load bearing wall, ad an outer panel of some sort that's rainproof but lets air circulate behind it. Optional insulation goes on the inside of the log wall after a few years if the need arises. Downside of this is it's not as easy as first imagined, but the upside is that you get to play with whatever external material you want, concrete board, to aluminium, to renderering.. Could look like a proper building!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Or you might want to check out some companies that make log cabins from real logs and deliver the materials to your door. You'd only have to construct the thing yourself, but everything is precut. sawed and sorted.
That's the way we built my in law's house in the Netherlands a decade ago (darn, time goes fast!) and the price was very competitive. No insulation needed at all, since you are using real, massive logs.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Or you might want to check out some companies that make log cabins from real logs and deliver the materials to your door. You'd only have to construct the thing yourself, but everything is precut. sawed and sorted.
That's the way we built my in law's house in the Netherlands a decade ago (darn, time goes fast!) and the price was very competitive. No insulation needed at all, since you are using real, massive logs.

........+1

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Easy enought to frame it out and line with 2" Kingspan to up the insulation Tony. Gives a nice place to run wires and pipes as well.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, that's where i've got to with my thinking Red, it's just added fiddle though. I suppose that if it ultimately lasts for years it's worth it...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Should last decades mate. Plenty of cuprinol on the exterior and preventative maintenance on the roof, no reason it shouldn't go 25 years

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See instead of adding a heat source, I'd suggest that you add a dehumidifier with a fan ….it takes out moisture, keeps damp at bay and it gives out heat. With it on we don't need the central heating on.
It's a win/win for us.
68% moisture is the level for mould to grow. If you're going to use the cabin as an office you really don't want that musty shed smell on everything.

M

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I have an in-law in Cardiff who is an architect and insulated his house with wool. Don't know the details but can find out more.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Honestly it's astonishing just how much water it takes out of the house, and how much heat it gives out. It's not a 'lot' of heat, iimmc, but it's a dry moving air heat, and it's now late October, in Scotland, and we don't have the heating on.
The figures came with the machine, and my pantry was at 71% so we've been using it, and little moisture metres to keep an eye on things.
http://www.meacodehumidifiers.co.uk

M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
See instead of adding a heat source, I'd suggest that you add a dehumidifier with a fan ….it takes out moisture, keeps damp at bay and it gives out heat. With it on we don't need the central heating on.
It's a win/win for us.
68% moisture is the level for mould to grow. If you're going to use the cabin as an office you really don't want that musty shed smell on everything.

M

Really? I fitted a bathroom fan with humidity switch; from the factory it is set to 75%.

I think I'll turn that down a bit then.

That does seem a bit low. At below 60% I know a few people (granted, not many) who use a humidifier to breath easily.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Santaman2000, but I laughed. It's cool and damp here, even in the height of Summer it's damp. I want moisture out of the house not adding more. I want a vented cooker hood so that steam goes straight outside and not running down the windows and doors…..and I live in a relatively modern, well insulated, double glazed house.
I sometimes think it was easier pre central heating with open fires and draughts….folks just wore more clothes and expected frozen pipes and ice on windows.

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I once stayed in a proper log cabin in Scotland middle of winter, it was fine. (once we got it warmed up)

You need the real deal;last longer too

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE