list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
schwuk said:
Don't forget that a car is not classed as private property, so he needs to have good reason to be 'carrying' a fixed blade knife all the time.
That is very true. Make shore you get your dad to read the UK Knife Law Article here. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=8233

Also there is a discussion about keeping a knife in your car on the last page of this thread,http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13160
leon-b said:
im sure i could knock something resembling a bird table up, i will see if any bids move in within the week if they dont i will put it higher up, if i open the lid and theres bedding in there or even a bird, will they get scared and move out or what ???
do you have any links to birdtable plans ?
leon

Nice looking bird boxes there, good job :You_Rock_ . In a normal year I wouldn't have thought you would find birds starting to nest for a month or two yet, but with the winter being so warm you never know, anyhow if your lucky your lightly to see birds starting to check them out (fly in and out of them and look at them from all angels) pretty soon. And yes ounce birds start getting interested you should leave the boxes alone, if the birds see you doing things with the boxes there lightly to abandon them. And a bird table can be a simple as a flat piece of wood with something round the edge (to stop stuff falling off) stuck to the end of a poll, it doesn’t have to be fancy :D .

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
come to think of it i will cut a square bit of wood and glue some bits along the side, if i mount this to the top corner of my fence and put food on it that should help attract a few birdies
what food shall i put up there ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

You can buy good mixed bird food from garden centres. But you can also use what you have. Any sort of seeds or nuts are good. The traditional breadcrumbs are okay but not ideal. Bacon rind and fat sources are superb.Melt sone suet or even the at out of the grill pan and pour it over some seeds, nuts and bread crumbs into a half coconyt (yeah like you have one). OKay use a pottery plant pot or something like that. A roll of old chicken wire can be packed with stuff like that and hung up. A lot of birds like fruit too - apples that are going off are just fine. Remember that water is even more important. I have a proper birdbath but a lot of them drink from the saucers round my pots. In any deep water, put a couple of branches in on an angle (one end in, one out) so they have something to stand on when drinking)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will put a bowl of water, some chopped apples, some raisins and nuts etc, someone on another forum mentioned something about fat blocks or something like that, how do you make these ?
leon

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Take one block of lard melt gently in a pan. Add some raisins, nuts, breadcrumbs etc. Take an empty yoghurt pot or similar and pour the lard mixture into it. Once cooled slightly, let this set, then make a hole from top to bottom with a drill bit, piece of wire etc. Thread a piece of string through it and tie a knot at one end. Cut off the yoghurt pot and you now have a fat and food block you can hang for a branch :D Hope this was of help leon mate :)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i might be importing a reindeer skin from another member on this site but i was wondering is it legal to import dried reindeer skins into the uk ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
here it is, its nothing special just a bit of wood with two sides on it
birdtable.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
lol, my mum returned form shopping with some raisings and a bird food pack which included 4 fat balls, to nets one with mixed bird feed in and the other with peanuts in
i have added a fat ball and some water to the table and i have hanged up the mixed bird fee net
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
someone on another forum suggested that i add a pitched roof to the table to keep the food dry and the pidgeons off, i am going to do this when i have some more wood
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks good Leon - don't be worried if the bords take a few days to get comfortable eating off it - you can see it from a window I hope? I'm looking forward to some pictures!

The other thing to try is making a hide. It doesn't have to be camoflauged - just something to hide inside a few yards away - you could rig something up with your tarp and take pictures through a small gap - good practice at fieldcraft

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i can see it clearly from the window, to be honest i dont think theres much point in putting up a hide as my garden is so small
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
does anybody know the name of the authority that handles customs ? and maybe a email address ?
thanks in advance
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE