list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
my uncle leads the shoot and its his land so i just went along, so red do you reccomend a 20 bore, i am a small 14 year old so i dont want anything to heavy, also are they loud ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All guns are loud mate - wear ear plugs or ear defenders (muffs) or you WILL end up with a hearing problem

Yup, the 20 bore is big enough for birds on the wing (which I don't rate a .410 for) but small enough for women and younger guys

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
:) Red's suggestion of a 20 bore is a good one...and make sure you brace it firmly into your shoulder to absorb the recoil upon pulling the tigger. If you're too hesitant and loose about it, the kickback will be worse....once you've fired one a few times and your confidence increases you won't even notice the business of recoil as you concentrate on swinging and pulling the trigger at the right time ;) Get stuck in and you'll enjoy it... :)

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
hello leon,
just make sure you pull it into your shoulder, and lean into the shot.
If your uncle runs a shoot he should be able to put you right.
Chris
PS
Sorry I have not got any antler

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im sure my uncle will take me out and treach me the basics, i will get me some earplugs then, i heard something about lighter cartridges can anyone tell me about these, i am going to my nans tommorow and beeting on saturday so i will speak to her about it, we will go to the gun shop soon and ask them
keep the gun info coming
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
looked at the bird table and the food seems to be eaten, there is no food on the floor either
leon

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
leon-b said:
im sure my uncle will take me out and treach me the basics, i will get me some earplugs then, i heard something about lighter cartridges can anyone tell me about these, i am going to my nans tommorow and beeting on saturday so i will speak to her about it, we will go to the gun shop soon and ask them
keep the gun info coming
leon

hello leon,
i have posted some more things to you this morning,they should be with you soon. as for lighter cartridges if they are anything like tracer cartrideges i wouldnt get any until you have got shall we say proficient. then they might, and i do mean might be of use to help you get onto target. but do not start with them. trust to you own instinct and keep both eyes open. bring the gun up to where you are looking and do no aim. i think you will find that you are much better than you think.
chris

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i just put some bread on the table, my sister said she saw a bird eating one of my hanging fat balls
leon

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
woke up this morning, looked out of the window and there were 3 starlings eating from my table and hanging suet ball. sorry about the poor pics i had literally just woke up lol.
Starling.jpg

Starling2.jpg

leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is there much you don't eat Torjus? :D

They are a pest species in a lot of ways mind you - huge flocks of them around where I used to live had to be "thinned out" periodically

Red

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Leon,

You may want to check out the RSPB site at http://www.rspb.org.uk/ and be involved in this years Birdwatch survey.

In this months RSPB Mag it shows some common birds we may see in the garden, the only one I've not seen from the list is a Starling!

However we have had Red Kites flying over and a Sparrowhawk in the garden which makes up for it. :)

Enjoy your birdwatching.

Stu

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE