M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nearly overhauled my post count too :)

Bet you get 2,000 before me ;)

How did you light the fire by the way?

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i used a match and lit the candle, once i have done this succesfully a few times i will move on to using a firesteel
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes it is still sharp and sitting in its lovely leather sheath, it has been inside a few pheasants now, cut up meat, sliced vegetables and carved wood
leon

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
BOD said:
What's the technique for holding the blade if you do not have a crook knife?
I have used my mora for digging out a spoon bowl.
First thing is be REALLY careful, have a firm base to work on, it is real easy to slip and if you are working above your leg :eek: .
I put my spoon down on a log(tried the table but too easy to gouge a bowl in the table :eek: ),and hold ing the knife in a normal grip just chip away at the bowl, when you get in a bit you can turn the work and hold the knife but it tends to dig too deep in the middle.
Using you knife for the spoon means you can't get a steep, deep bowl, and you need to do a lot of sanding to get the shape, but it can be done.

* sitting back waiting for someone to post a picture of a spoon with a deep, steep sided bowl, that was made with a kukri or an M.O.D. survival knife! :p

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
my nan came round yesterdaywith a cheap pair of water proofs and my realtree camoflague t shirt, the t shirt was to small so my nan is going to take it back and get me the correct one
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just subscribed to british blades, its weird as when i tryed to a few months ago it said i was to young
i have started a new thread called leon-b says hello
leon

BOD

Started this Saturday morning.

DSCN1786.jpg

DSCN1785.jpg

I do not have a crook or spoon knife so I just used my Mora for the main carving but used the Opinel 8 for the bowl. I guess I am not an artisan but more concerned with the idea about carving a spoon out in the field with the tools available and this is unlikely to include a crook knife.

I can improvise for sandpaper but what sort of oils should I use and what would be bush oil alternatives to these. I presume animal fat is not a recommended option?

Carving this was one of the most satisfying things I have done for while and I am thinking that once the “bush spoon” project is done that I could take up some more carving.

The reaction from my children was gratifying. The 6 year old asked if she could have it and used it during lunch. Then the 8 and 4 year old demanded one!

Since they are partly Finnish and partly Dutch, I had visions of introducing them to their heritage and carving kuksas and wooden clogs for them!

Any advice before I proceed further with the spoon?

Reactions: British Red

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Thats looking really grate :You_Rock_ , that is an amazingly neat bowl considering you only used a normal knife :eek: looks as good as my one made with a crook knife :eek: .

As for oil, according to Pierre Girard on the kuksa making instructions thread, talking about how he makes his canoe cups.
pierre girard said:
I was intrigued by the link which said they were boiled a long time in salt water - to cure them. I've never done anything with them except wash them with warm water, dry them, and swish a little bear oil or olive oil around inside - and wipe off the excess. The flat-bottomed cup has a little crack in the lip. It was in the original piece of burl and has not cracked any more in 15 years of use.PG
I presume by bear oil he meant oil from a bear, if so then animal fat isn't out of the question.

Of corse the oil you can get hold of in a natural environment depends on where you live, up here in chilly old northern Europe or north America animal or fish oils would probably be your only option. Isn't it Borneo where you live? If so I couldn't say for :dunno: .

As for non natural oils I think the consensus on the Oiling spoons?thread was that mineral oil is the safest and easiest option.

Hope that helps :) .

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you don't have a crook knife, try an ember from the fire, blow on it with a straw, or a hollowed out pithy wood, or even a rolled up sheet of paper. The bowl will char, and you scrape the charred bits off with the point of your knife. Sand it down with some fine sand, drop some into the bowl and rub it with a smooth round stone.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
went shopping today, i bought a small led torch to go on my keyring, a light my fire spork and a leather pouch for my sak i got the next size up so i could fit my sak and a lighter in there
leon

BOD

Thanks LeonB,

I figured that you would be up to speed on the resources on this site and save having me wade through long threads.

I also felt that the advice from someone who has recently started and who understands the difficulty of being a beginner would be more useful to me than the deatiled knowledge of some crusty old bushcrafter who's done hundred of spoons :D

Will post pics when it is complete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE