list to learn

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
nearly finished preparing two pheseants for lunch tonite
just wondering, if i was to get my self a slingshot would i be able to shot and kill a few pidgeons in my garden every now and then for the pot ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Honestly mate, unless you are very good, I'd give that a miss. You are going the right way with beating and learning to shoot. A slingshot is a fine tool in very skilled hands, but until you can take a tin can 9 shots out of 10 at 25 yards then I think theres a risk of injuring the bird and having it fly of maimed to die slowly. I suspect you would feel the same way about that as I do :(

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes thanks anyway red
we just went round to my dads mate's and he gave me a normark hunting knife which he said is a £60 knife, a wire saw and he even sharpened my sak for me
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
all he asked for was 1p to say thanks, but if he needs anything doing then i will do it free of charge
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The 1p is because you never give a blade - it "cuts a friendship" so he "sold it" to you for 1p

How about a match case for him - or a bit of lawn mowing...or a pheasant...or a spoon

Its about the gesture of thanks little bro

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am going to the local shooting shop in a fortnight so i will have a look at the leather hats they sell in there
i would love to learn more about foraging, where do i start ?
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
heres the normark knife that my dads mate gave me today
normarkhuntingknifedz8.jpg

heres my knife collection so far
first4kniveshp4.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
in a fortnight im going back to the gun shop to get some more clothes. i already have two fleeces, army lightweights, army combats, 3 army wooly pullys and a m65 copy coat
what other clothes do you think i should buy ?
leon

BOD

Leon-b,

You are the man for this question. I am starting on the "craft" part of "bushcraft" and am thinking of starting with a spoon.

Rather then stumble my way through it I wonder if you can let me know the best way to start and perhaps links to sites on how hold the knife to carve. I presume a medium hard wood is best or should it be something softer?

I have a couple of SAKs and an Opinel 8. Are these ok? I have a Frosts Mora but this is probably too big.

Any advice welcome

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
it is best to use green wood as it is far easier to carve, i use my clipper to carve my spoons so if i were you i would use your mora
do you have a crook knife to carve the bowl ?

1. cut in diagonly where you want the bowl to start

2. split from the top of your branch to the cuts you have made using your knife and a batton

3. shape the spoon roughly untill you are happy with the shape

4. round the bowl of the spoon

5. get your crook knife and carve out the bowl of the spoon, take your time and take bit by bit away

6. take the rough edges away and get it as smooth as you can with your knife you could use your sak for this, just be care full that it doesnt close on your fingeres

7. first use fairly course sandpaper and then work your way through the grades untill you are happy with your spoon

heres a link:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/content/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=60
hope this helps

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just found out that the wire saw that my das mate gave me was given to him by lofty wiseman
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just got a fire lit in my chimnea with wet wood, we had an old fence post about 4x4 which i split with my sfa and used the dry wood inside
leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE