list to learn

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
spamel said:
I think a leaf litter design with an open front to use with a fire would be good for the summer. You could build a simple lean to, or a semi domed type like the Ray Mears episode where the guy roofs it with large sheets of birch bark. Just build up the leaf litter instead.

Try and get a section of a tree trunk to use as a chopping block, you will need that this summer when you start carving a lot. As for cooking over a fire, why not build a permenant swing arm type pot hanger? You can see it here under the fireplaces section at the bottom of the page. The arm can swing out away from the fire, and you can raise and lower the arm aswell. Make sure you don't use cordage that will melt!

Hi,

Never seen that site before - thank the link - however - could someone explain the physics behind this ?

newtons laws not valid in billy hanging ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It's all to do with friction, for those that haven't looked, the pot hanger in question is a "y" shaped arm on its side and this hooks on to an upright pole. In fact, you'd better check the link, it's easier than me explaining what it looks like!!! :rolleyes:

As the pot is hung on the end of the bail arm, it is trying to pull the top hook off of the upright, which is hooked around the back, with the pivot point being the lower part of the hinge. The lower part can't be pushed through the upright, so more force is applied at the top part of the hinge. The more weight you apply to the bail arm, the more it will pull on the top part of the hinge and the stronger a grip on the upright pole! The resulting friction stops the whole arm slipping down, but you can move the bail arm up and down by releasing the pressure slightly. It really is effective and a good design. I may have to make one this weekend!!

I hope that makes sense!!! :D

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
ok thats about 2 and a bit hours away from me, i am trying to persuade my dad to go to the christmas moot, he says that it is a bit far to travel for a weekend
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
weaver said:
I think the prize is all the knowledge here!

Certainly don't stop now, we are enjoying it too much.
But....but...but..(in best twemblly lip voice)

wed wants a pwize!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D

Wed

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i am fitting the handle to my saami knife at the mo, i will post pictures when the whole handle is on
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
heres a pic of my saami knife, i just need to let it dry, rivet the end and shape it
saamiknifens3.jpg

leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes that eagle going for a full grown deer,spectacular
red are you going to the christmas moot ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

I'm not good at crowds mate - so no.

I can talk on here okay but I'm a country boy and groups of strangers make me nervous :eek:

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE