list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
could you fry the bacon using a frying pan made out of green wood
i'm not sure if thats right but i saw it in mors book

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Possible but not what I was thinking of.....have a look how he cooks fish...and also at something that reminds you of tennis?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, thats the way I thought of - heres a tip though - peg only at the top, otherwise it tears as it "shrinks". Its also easier to turn over if you want too

The other way is to make a greenstick frame like this one I used for a pigeon. Same process as the pegging to a log - you want it upright catching heat, not over the flames catching smoke. You can make the frame the day before and just weave some extra sticks over to hold the bacon (you won't need one this big unless you are real hungry)

Spatchcock3.jpg

Spatchcock4.jpg

So, Sausage on skewer, greenstick frame for bacon....how are you going to do your bannock?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
make a cake shape dough of bannock then put it on the billy can lid and put the billy can on top, i will do this on hot coals and it will act like an oven

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red when i cook the bacon can i peg it to a log instead of using a frame
this is a good callenge because i can practice bushcraft and my mum will be happy with me because i will have cooked her breakfast

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
so its sausages on skewers, bacon pegged to a log and some bannock

how long do i need to cook these for?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ah, you do your bacon different to me. I put two forked sticks into the ground, with a long stick on the forks. I then lay the bacon over this stick and the fire is behind the sticks, acting like a grill. I just turn the bacon now and then, there is no smoke, or very little, but I like smoky bacon anyway!! Also, you just pick up the stick laying on the forks and spin it 180 degrees and you don't need to touch the bacon. Does this make sense?!!

leon-1

leon-b said:
how long do i need to cook these for?

That unfortunately is an almost impossible question to answer mate as there are a lot of variables, including size and type of fire, proximity of the goods to be cooked and method of cooking.

Neil1 would probably be able to tell you how long your bannock will require to be on for though.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fenlander said:
Leon, clear away the hot coals and put the lid directly on the ground, then put hot coals around the billy and some on the top. The result should look something like this...

P1000825.jpg
[/IMG]

Jeez Fenlander,
Did that push the billy off as it grew?
Hints of the "magic poridge pot" going on there.

Its huge

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Kevin,

Do you mind, thats making me hungry!

Leon, practice cooking bacon and sausage at home. The trick with sausage is to cook slowly and long - as Leon says its hard to give an accurate time - the last thing you want though is to burn the outside and have them raw in the middle, so slower is better than faster!

You could try Spamels way for the bacon too (its new to me but sounds fine). Any way of getting nice even heat works well. I like my bacon quite crisp, so I can tell its cooked by the fact its not really "floppy" any more. The sausage is cooked when its dark brown on the outside and not bright pink but a sort of pinky beige in the middle. Thinner sausages are better as they don't take too long to "cook through" (try chipolatas if you can get them).

So bacon, sausage and bannock - try taking some marmalade and butter - amrveloous on warm bannock.

If you want some vegetables to go with these, why not make a spare Billy Can before you go - do you have any ideas how to make a Billy?

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ogri the trog said:
Ah a meal fit for a king......
.....well, several kings if you wish.

Ogri the trog

I must admit thats always a good reason for taking BB (my lass) bushcrafting

Lemon chicken (starts as a clove of garlic, a lemon and a bunch of spring onions)

LemonChickenonfire.jpg

Thai green curry

ThaiCurry.jpg

Now me - I'm more a basic fiery chilli merchant

Chilli.jpg

But I do brew a fair old blackberry port

Port.jpg

Campfire cooking - you gotta love it

Oh Leon - real men can & do cook!

Red

British Red said:
I must admit thats always a good reason for taking BB (my lass) bushcrafting

Lemon chicken (starts as a clove of garlic, a lemon and a bunch of spring onions)

LemonChickenonfire.jpg

Thai green curry

ThaiCurry.jpg

Now me - I'm more a basic fiery chilli merchant

Chilli.jpg

But I do brew a fair old blackberry port

Port.jpg

Campfire cooking - you gotta love it

Oh Leon - real men can & do cook!

Red

That's a great way to celebrate your 1000th post Hugh......well done!!!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks guys
so its

bannock - scrape away the coals, place the billy lid on the ground, put the bannock in the lid and place the billy on top. then put hot coals around the side of the billy and on top. was it 20 mins you leave it for , i saw it on the video but cant remember how long.

bacon - peg it to a log ond place nearc the fire, and cook untill its brown

sausages - put them on sticks and then ......... what do i do then

thanks leon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE