list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
just thought you might be interested i have just bought a DD hammock of ebay should be here by wednesday / thursday hopefully
then in a couple of weeks we are camping at wickham market for the weekend i will test out my new hammock then, the good thing about wickham market is that you are allowed to have campfires

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That sounds great Leon - now, no matches of course ;)

You might have to take / buy firewood though - sites that permit fires are often cleaned out for dry wood.

Since you have two weeks to practice, can I suggest it might be time for a new challenge? How about Leons breakfast on a fire? All "made from scratch" food - I'm thinking maybe some freash bannock with boiled eggs, pot of coffee, pan fried bacon or even fresh porridge subject to what people like - kippers cook really well in a green stick frame!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red i would love a new challenge it would be really helpful and it would give me something to research and practice

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Okay mate, like I said, lets try something you can do on the campfire when you are out....now this is going to be a practical cooking event ---sooo practice at home (if your mum lets you in the kitchen...).

First up, do you know how to make bannock?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i made bannock the other day in a frying pan using a cooker
i guess its the same on a fire but correct me if im wrong

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
red the campsite provide you with fire wood
and no i wont use matches i will use firesteel and common reed to get it going just like i did with fenlander do you know where i can find common reed

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right Leon, the challenge will be to prepare and cook a proper campfire meal...breakfast is great as I'm sure whoever you are going with (your dad?) would like breakfast in bed.

If anyone on here would like to post some suggestions, we can work you up a menu etc. and a list of what you need to take with you

What pots and pans do you have suitable for campfire use? If the answer is only my Billycan we'll think of soemthing else ;)

I'm thinking perhaps bannock, scrambled egg, bacon, beans and coffee - all that could be done with one pan, a metal mug and some imagination

What else would interest you?

Kevins quiz looks good - he and I chatted about quizes recently - if you like that sort of thing I could put together a little quiz for you if that would be fun?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander i will use birch bark
red can you use any old frying pans on a fire?
i have a mess tin and the billy can

i like these quizes so yes please post more

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oops - I do indeed mean Leons Billy Can :)

I'm looking forward to the quiz mate - see how much I don't know

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

You have to be careful of plastic on fires - it tends to melt - I have used an old frying pan with a plastic handles, but only when I had rigged a suitable support. Have the ones you have in mind got plastic handles?

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Get some sausages on the go. They can be skewered end to end on a stick and propped over some coals, turn them now and then and everything will be good. They take a little longer, but they taste fantastic. Also, you don't need to stab hell out of the skin to let the fat out as it will drip out from where you skewer them. A healthy way to cook them so long as you don't use a poisonous wood as a skewer!!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And you get to make a skewer too!

Leon - can you think of a way of cooking bacon without a pan?

Red

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Now I'll be interested in how you do this Red, I know how I do it and it tastes fantastic!! I'll wait to see if Leon can think of a way.

Leon, think how you would cook it at home, and then think of a way to do it a similar way outdoors.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
If you are struggling to find tinder, you can cheat a little and get plumbers hemp from diy shops or take apart natural string, usually brown hairy stuff, and use that. It works pretty much the same as natural tinders, well it is natural, but can be easier to get hold of if you can't get out to the woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE