list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
sausages on sticks 10 -15 mins Yes
bacon on a log about 5 mins Longer - the log (you need a split one) takes probably 10 or more moinutes
bannock in a billy can 20 - 30 mins Yes
beans in a home made mess tin about 5 mins Yes
please tell me if i have got it wrong
the diy billy can is the exact same size as te cans the beans come in therefore the beans will be up to the brim of the billy is this ok No - no more than two thirds full or it'll boil over

Right - next stage - do you have any graph paper from school? Or a spreadsheet (like Exel) on your computer?

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i only have a small hatchet will that do to split the log
how big does the log need to be ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Righto Leon,

Open a new spreadsheet

In cell B2 key in 60 - this means 60 minutes before breakfast. In cell C2 key in 55 and so on down to zero. Zero hour is breakfast time. If you know how to do formulas, you can make cell c2 a formula =B2-5. If you copy this across a few columns it will do the countdown for you. Above zero (in cell N1) key in Breakfast time (08:00 in this case)

Now starting from cell A3 key in the first food item. The next one in Cell A4 and so on.

You should end up with something like this

1setup2cr.jpg

Tell me when you've done that and we'll go to the next step

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry mate, the gamekeeper called round for a quick word

Righto,

Next, look at your cooking times and put "SC" (means Start Cooking) in the cell that is correct for that item. So, 10 minutes to cook bacon. Count back 2 cells on the bacon row from breakfast time. Do the same for all the other rows

Should look like this

2starttimes9nn.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now we'll do a couple more steps.

First fill in all the cells from SC to "zero hour" in a row with red. You use the paint pot icon to do this (say if you need more instructions)

Next fill in all the times across the top row. So 5 minutes before 08:00 is 07:55, 5 minutes before that is 07:50 and so on

Should look like this

3cooktime9dw.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right mate,

Now we put in the preparation tasks. Always put them at least 2 cells (10 minutes before) to the left Then colour in the preparation time in blue.

I've used three cells for the bannock as you will have to mix ingredients. Ive also put the word "Check" against the bannock after 20 minutes to remind you to see if its done

4preptime9oh.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So we have a time plan for cooking and basic preparation. But we have other tasks to do - we'll need a fire and I prefer to cook on a fire that has burned down (more like coals than flames). You'll need at least half an hour for that so, we put a new row in for fire and a task 30 minutes long for it to burn down and another beofre that (07:00) to "light fire". Since these are also prep tasks we'll colour them blue as well

5tools1lh.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right last but one post

Put a grid round your plan

Next, there are a certain number of tasks that can be done the day before. Since these can be done at anytime before 07:00, we'll just list them out for you - things like

Get Sticks (for skewers)
Sharpen Sticks
Get "plank" (for bacon)
Make wedges and holes for wedges etc.

There are also some materials you need to take (ingredients) so we'll list them out

6pretasksandingredients4fd.jpg

Red

Reactions: stone

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Righto last part:

Before you set off
Assemble your ingredients and tick them off your list. Make sure they are packed

The day before breakfast
Work down the "other tasks" list making sure you are as ready as you can be.
Make sure you can get to all the ingredients without waking M&D
Stack your firewood, tinder and kindling in a dry place close to hand

On the day
At 07:00 run your finger down column B - all you have to do is light the fire.
07:05, the fire should be burning down - so - nothing to do? Well you could start mixing bannock then - any of the "blue" tasks can be done earlier as time permits

.....time passes........
07:45 You should be doing.....can you tell me?

Red

Reactions: falcon

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
done everything exept for put a grid around it
how do you put a grid around it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Hopefully there should be an icon at the top of your exel sheet that looks like this

7gridtool2aw.jpg

There is an arrow next to it and clicking the arrow selects the type of lines you want (on the left of each cell, on the right of each cell etc.). Highlight the area you want the grid to be, click the arrow just to the right of the grid command and select the "all lines" icon like the one shown

If you cant find the grid command, say so and I'll tell you how to do it another way

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE