list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
leon-b said:
thanks guys
so its

bannock - scrape away the coals, place the billy lid on the ground, put the bannock in the lid and place the billy on top. then put hot coals around the side of the billy and on top. was it 20 mins you leave it for , i saw it on the video but cant remember how long.

thanks leon

It depends on the size of your dough ball. The one on the video took twenty minutes, but the one in the picture above took 35.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will be cooking this not this weekend but the next
i have heard alot of talk about no hammocks on public campsites but fingers crossed i migt be allowed

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon, get a stick and carve the end down to a fine pointed stick. A bit thicker than a cocktail stick at the end, it should taper for strength, to not even the thickness of a pencil. The rest of the stick can be as thick as you like I suppose, but if you start with a pencil thick stick, you'll save yourself time and effort!! What you do then is cut the skin that joins the sausages into a string, and stick a sausage onto the stick, skewering it end to end. If the point of the stick pokes out the other end, it allows the fat to escape.

Now you can either rest the skewered sausage on a stone or a bit of wood so that it is above the embers, or you can push the stick into the ground at an angle so that it is above the coals.then you just turn the sausage as it browns.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks spamel that was a great explanation
i will stick them into the ground at an angle

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

So you have now got, bacon (either pegged or on a greenstick griddle), sausage onna stick (as opposed to inna bun), bannock backed in your billy can.

Problem being there is a need to bew tea or coffee and really some sort of vegetables needed - perhaps even some eggs. Given you only have one Billy can, have you thought of how you might make another Billy or improvise some other cooking implements before you go?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i could get some old pots from our house which i could use to cook beans or something

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When you say old pots...what did you have in mind ?

Also think what beans come in........could you maybe make something that would do?

Think about making bannock...could you rig something up instead of using your Billy Can?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i could make some billy cans infact i ave already made one out of a small soup can
when i have some money i will buy some more cooking equipment what do you suggest

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

I suggest plenty of practice cooking at home to work out what you like first.

I was thinking if you had a large metal can and a metal plate, that would do great for your Bannock. You could use your Billy can then for tea etc. and maybe warm some baked beans up in your improvised Billy (I have just taken the top of a baked bean tin, ripped the label off, eaten a couple of spoons cold and heated the can up resting on caols - does tend to tip over though - if you made a Billy out of a tin can and wire coathanger it would work better.
As for other cooking gear, it depends whether you are "car camping" or carrying it!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i made my billy can out of a can and a wire coat hanger
i will be car camping and walking so preferably something i could carry
as for a brew my trangia should be here by then so i could use that

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Ogri!

Its all this chatting we do Leon - soon adds up ;)

Anyway heres my thought. Use your "home made" Billy for baked beans, New Billy for Bannock then give you new Billy a wipe out and put on to boil for tea whilst the bannock is cooling a little (bet they eat it warm though). Actually, I'd make tea first and be drinking mine whilst cooking (Mum and Dad get theres in bed of course). Cup of tea, tell 'em "breakfast in half an hour" and bung the bannock on. Have you figured out when to put all the things on yet? You don't start them all at the same time!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i no
the bacon wont take that long
the bannock will take 20 - 35 mins
im using chipolatas so the sausages wont take that long will they ?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
when we have decided wat to cook and how to cook could you please write it up neat and post it on here please
thanks leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Sausages will take maybe 10-15 minutes - cook em slow mate - if they get done too soon, take them away from the fire then bring them back at the end just to "warm over", same applies to bacon and beans, so if the bannock takes a while you can slow them down a bit (works on a stove too - just take the pan off the heat or the grill pan out.

As for writing it up, no, I won't, but I'll teach you how to create a proper step by step plan - then you can do it for any other meal too - hows that?

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes it would be better if you could teach me rather than you do then i will write it up
sausages on sticks 10 -15 mins
bacon on a log about 5 mins
bannock in a billy can 20 - 30 mins
beans in a home made mess tin about 5 mins
please tell me if i have got it wrong
the diy billy can is the exact same size as te cans the beans come in therefore the beans will be up to the brim of the billy is this ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE