list to learn

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
By the way, the cramp ball fungus is great and you all are lucky to be able to use it. I have searched high and low here in Germany and cannot find it anywhere. When I was back inUK a few years ago on a course, I found it everywhere in the Chatham area. It really is a first rate tinder and being able to use it like charcoal is just fantastic. My trade off is I see plenty of roe deer, wild boar and Wald Adlers, or wood eagles, every time I go out!

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Here's a short list of stuff you could pack in your Film containers:

1. Matches and the striker. (you need to pack them very carefully, so they do not light themselves!!!)

2. Some dry Tinder. (use the Best Tinder you have and save this for when nothing else works.)

3. Some Safety Pins, Thread and some Needles.

4. A Fishing Kit with:
Hooks (different sizes).
Fishing line (wrap it round something, or better still wind it onto a 'Bobbin' from a Sewing Machine).
Swivels.
Split Shot.
A small Bubble Float.
(You probably won't need this right away, but it's worth packing one for later).

5. Some Herbs and Spices. (I have one for making food "Italian" and another for "Indian" stuff).

6. Parmesan Cheese.

7. Anything else you fancy when you raid the Kitchen for Supplies! :D

If you wrap different coloured insulating tape around the outside of the containers, you can tell straight away whats inside (Green = "Italian", Red = "Indian", Yellow = Parmesan Cheese) and you can also use it to make coloured tips for Stick Floats when Fishing, and use it for repairing stuff too.

If you ask in a Photo Shop or a Chemist's, you can probably get enough Film Containers to last you for Years, for free!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

You are only going for a day trip mate so you aren't going to need bivy or sleeping bag etc.

You will need clothing. Think layers - its easier to adjust your temperature.....depends on the weather I guess, but I would wear a shirt / t-shirt, have something warm (fleece?) and a waterproof. I would wear some cotton trousers (lightweights / combats / cargo pants etc), boots and socks. The boots should be well broken in so they don't rub. If you haven't got boots some strong shoes should do. A hat with a brim to keep out the sun / rain is useful. If you have gloves (I keep a pair of leather tough ones) they can protect your hands when working wood. I also wear a bandanna round my neck (I burn easily so I slather on "factor duffel-coat" and still wrap a cloth round my neck).

You may want somewhere to put your waterproof so a daysack or bag is useful.

Gear you may want:

Knife (saw / axe if you have one and feel you need it)
Flint
Tinder (always carry some just in case)
Matches / Lighter
Compass (Fenlander should have a map)
Whistle (safety single if you get lost - six blasts)
Camera
Book for signing
Notebook and pencil
Waterbottle and drink (just buy a sportscap bottle of water from the shop)
Lunch - sandwiches etc.
Snacks (cereal bars or whatever)
Brew kit (coffee / milk / sugar etc.) - Fenlander will have a billy can
Water purification gear if you have it (puritabs etc.)
First Aid kit
Mobile and emergency numbers
Binoculars if you have them

I'm sure Fenlander will advise if theres anything else you need

Red

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Are you quite sure that the Matches are not going to light on their own, when they get shaken about in your Rucksack?

Best to double check stuff like that.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

By flint I meant chemical flint aka ferrocium rod aka Ranger flint aka your spark making thingy!

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
o right yes i have got that
although there is hardly any left on the rod
i should be getting a new fire steel soon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
alright i will take it anyway
i am working on a kit list for a weekend feel free to tell my if i have missed anything
here goes

Kit checklist

Rucksack
Map
Compass
Note Pad + Pencil
Tarp
Tent / Hammock
Sleeping bag
Kip mat
Torch + Batteries
Knife
Saw
Mobile
Toilet Kit
Para cord
Lighter + Matches
Towel
First Aid Kit
Food for Free book
Collins tree ID book
hexi cooker
KFS
Mug
Hat
Woolen blankets
Gloves
Food
brew kit
Fire lighting kit
1 pair of clothes
Pillow case
Mug

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Thats a good list Leon, it shows you are thinking about things in advance.

That is always the key to having a sucessful trip.

What you should do now, is to devide it all up into three different piles:

1. Essential stuff, that you MUST take.

2. Useful Stuff, that you would like to take.

3. Luxury stuff, that you would take if you have room for it.

Remember you are going to be carrying everything on your back, so try to keep things as light as possible.

Don't worry if you keep changing your mind about which pile stuff should be in, keep swapping stuff around, until you are happy with what you will take along in your rucksack.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Yep I agree with BF.
I usually use a bumbag to put my first aid kit in and hang my knife on, then wherever the knife is so is the first aid kit. Not sure you will need blankets and sleeping bag, bit much to carry but if you are going to be near the car put them in. Your first few times out you will realise what is essential and what is not, if you have a 'rent with the car you can leave stuff in the car, if you don't need it can stay there but it is not too far away if you do need it. This can get you ready for going further afield without the risk of leaving something essential behind or something going wrong.

Edit; Obviously you will need blankets OR a sleeping bag, but you won't need both! :rolleyes:

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
A good idea is to remember what gear you actually use while you are away, and what gear you did not use at all.

Then you can rearrange all your gear to be a bit lighter next time.

The only things that you should not remove from your future gear list is Emergency gear and First Aid.

I have spent the last 25 years rearranging my gear to get it better, lighter or smaller, and have yet to find the perfect setup! :p

Deciding what is the perfect gear list is all part of the fun! :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
goose i will use blankets in the summer and a sleeping bag in the winter
so should i add anything to the list or is it ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE