list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks goose
in my bag it was a bit crushed and i new what it was by the silver rings inside it in te wild does it just look like a black blob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

In the wild it looks like a black blob exactly mate. It will light even if "fresh" although its better dried. If you get enough you can use them like charcoal. Never take them all from one tree though - leave some to spread their spores so theres more for you next time

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well Leon,

Since its the big day on Saturday, I hope you have your gear laid out ready? If you leave it till Friday night, I'll bet you forget something (I always do). I'd suggest getting clothes together (waterproofs, boots - they are clean and dubbined right - hat, knife, flint, brew kit, first aid kit etc.).

Check the gear over (looked into my EDC FAK today and notice my saline had split and soaked everything - sigh). Time for a new set of plasters etc.

If you prep your gear like this, you'll have plenty of time to make any corrections without flapping (sharpen knife, clean boots etc.). On the day it'll just be a question of picking up your kit and heading out without forgetting stuff. Remember what was inconvenient when you get back (like teabags getting wet in your pocket etc.). I for example now save all sorts of odd containers (small shampoo bottles for milk etc.) so that my kit is light but safe.

Don't forget your Mors K book (for Fenlander to get signed for you), your camera (cos you owe us all a proper write up of the day), a note book to write down what you learned etc.

Remember it'll be a learning day - the bloke who never made a mistake, never learned anything - you'll make tons of mistakes and learn loads (just like the rest of us). Next time - you'll still make mistakes (they'll just be different ones as you'll be doing still more stuff).

All the best

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi red what do you think i should take clothes,kit etc
i am also collecting empty pots to keep all my gear dry
i have got 5 film canisters to keep matches and tinder dry
thanks leon

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
British Red said:
Leon,

In the wild it looks like a black blob exactly mate. It will light even if "fresh" although its better dried. If you get enough you can use them like charcoal. Never take them all from one tree though - leave some to spread their spores so theres more for you next time

Red

There is another reason that you should never take them all too Leon. There is an insect that lives exclusively on cramp ball fungus - as so often in nature things are interconnected. Always leave some for the little bugs to raise their young :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon,

My wife has those crystals that you put in a burner and they smell nice. They come in a medium sized pot that I use after she has finished with them. I put coffee and sugar in them and they haven't got wet yet. I will`send you a few once she gets some empty ones if you like. To save your address being in the hands of people you don't know, I can send them to Fenlander, and he could pass them on to you. Like I say, at the moment, she doesn't have any empty ones, but when she has, I can send them on.

I tend to use larger ones if I am going out for longer trips, but they are good for a day or two if you aren't a brew fiend!!

I'll give you a shout when some empty ones become available!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes sure mate thanks as soon as you have got any empty ones just pm me
will you send them to fenlander and then he sends them to me
thanks leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i will try and find some pots aswell im sure i can dig some out of the kitchen
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
In fact, I have an old style metal mug, but it doesn't have the plastic lip protector. I'll chuck that in aswell as I don't use it anymore, I got a crusader mug later on. If you need a water bottle, I can pass you one of those on as I have a few spare in the cellar. The cup is the same style as the 58 pattern mug in black, so it fits on top of the water bottle. You will have to find a way to protect your lip though as you will burn your lip when you drink from it otherwise!! Some people use a cotton type tape that is on general issue but I find it collects dirt and could be unhygienic. I've seen people put a bit of ali tin foil on the lip all scrunched up....

You could use it on the fire for boiling and then just pour it into another cup. I've also got a few issue mess tins if you want those.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will have all of it if you dont mind
will you pass it all on to fenlander ?
when will it get to fenlander?
thanks again you are so generous
rep point to you

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
hi red what do you think i should take clothes,kit etc
i am also collecting empty pots to keep all my gear dry
i have got 5 film canisters to keep matches and tinder dry
thanks leon

Hi Leon,

Don't forget little plastic bottles too. When you go for weekend trips, small bottles for everything from cooking oil onwards are very useful (I take biodegradeable washing up liquid too - food poisonig is horrible).

As for what you need to take, why don't you post your "kit list" and then we can check it over for you? You shouldn't need too much, but its important not too neglect safety gear (first aid, whistle etc.), basic personal kit (waterproof, boots, hat) and the kit you need to accomplish what you are setting out to do (knife, flint etc.)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
im not sure what i have to take
will fenlander supply me with anything for the day or do i have to bring it all

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just found a little glass pot which i will use to carry washing up liquid
can some one please post a list of what i can store in little pots
that would be most appreciated
thanks leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Leon, I'l ldig the kit out this weekend, and I'll see if I can empty some of those pots. I'll try to get it off to Fenlander next week sometime, so I'll need your address Fenlander! I'll give you a shout when I've got the kit together. Hopefully, I'll get it to you for next weekend, but this weekend is impossible with BFPO!!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes dont worry about this weekend mate
just pm me when you have got it all together

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE