list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Leon,

This is were we will based in the morning

Newparachute.jpg
[/IMG]

and then we shall go for a walk to look at some plants and trees and move else where for your challenge.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
cool looks really good i am looking forward to it
challenge do you mean the featherstick one
thanks leon

No Leon......I mean this one!!!!!

British Red said:
Leon,

You've asked for some skills to learn - heres your challenge mate! Heres a list of stuff for you to do when on your day out with Fenlander......

(1) Make a fire spot in an appropriate place where it will cause no damage. You pick the spot and prepare it and Fenlander will check its okay (your books should tell you how to prepare a fire site.

(2) Light a fire using only a firesteel and striker. To do this you will need to identify, collect and prepare tinder, kindling and fire wood. Fenlander will help to show you how this is done, but think about researching what tinders are around, how to preapre feathersticks etc. You will be preparing a small cooking fire so what fire design will you have? Again your books should help but Fenlander will guide you through it if you get stuck

(3) Make a support for a Billy can over the fire. You will have to find the materials, design and construct the supports. There are several alternatives you could use - practice a few in the garden if you can lay hands on some branches. It will have to support a Billy Can to make Fenlander a nice cup of tea

(4) Make a brew, chill out, chat round the fire

(5) Clear the fire site away safely when finished

To do this well, you will need to develop skills in

(a) identifying and collecting appropriate natural materials
(b) site set up
(c) Tinder and kindling preparation
(d) Fire lighting technique
(e) Basic Woodcraft
(f) Taking only pictures - leaving only footprints

Oh - and bung a few pictures up after the day - we'd love to know how you get on!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
oh yer these are good skills and i am glad red put them up
i will just have a look and see if there was a black ball

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

I suspect its a very dry sort of black ball - a bit like a charcoal briquette ;) (which it isn't)

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
odin 13 i have made nettle cordage
fenlander it was in there i have seen it on you cd cant remember what it is called but i know it smoulders

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Think muscle problems (my post count 918 befor I post this not sure if thats what Fenlander means)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

I think fenlander is advising you to use the species fact files on the CD to help identify the black ball of ...stufff...that is in fact one of the best natural forms of tinder

Have fun guy

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi ok thanks i get it
it smoulders i no that i will find out what it is called later
also i have just ignited the common reed fenlander gave me with a firesteel
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just done a search and its cramp ball fungus
i new this but i forgot its so annoying when that happens

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
i have just done a search and its cramp ball fungus

Spot on mate - it looks like that before its dried too so now you can spot it in the wild (often on dead birch trees)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE