list to learn

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
It's worth bookmarking the OS website as it is a HUGE database of everything OS.

Google it isn't, but if you keep searching, you will find all the answers you need, regarding OS maps and how to use them.

You can also download a free map of where you live.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Coo - I didn't know that - and I have been using OS mape for <cough> years. I'm learning loads here! :)

Red

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Leon have you been out collecting natural tinders yet?

You want to start experimenting with different materials to learn their different burning properties.

Also keep a good journal note book. This will grow into quite and weighty tome by the time your 20 and how knows it might even get pulished. Ray Mears is dead long live King Leon.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That really is a fantastic idea Wayne - sometimes as you get more experienced, its hard to remember what it was like starting out. If you wrote a journal you could indeed remember as you got older. How about a book on British Bushcrafting (with all the restrictions we face)?

I would love to see you you write an article for the site on your day out with Fenlander Leon. I know you will be taking you camera so an article with pictures would be great. If you do, don't (just) focus on what you did - what makes peoples experiences interesting is often how the FEEL, Kind of:

08:00 - waiting for Fenlander...wonder what he looks like...worried I might make a fool of myself today.....really think all my preparation might pay off though - confident about finding Birch Bark anyway.......

Don't worry about telling people you feel nervous or embarassed or whatever - we aren't your classmates and everyone here feels the same in new situations - went to meet up with Bushwaker Bob and Wayne and others recently and sat in a pub thinking ....."how stupid am I - I don't know what they look like". Fortunately Lithril turned up in a BCUK t-shirt and saved me from stumbling up to strangers asking them if they were a Bushwacker :)

Anyway - rambling now, but would love to here how your day felt when you get back. I will put on the instructions to picture publishing!

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i will take lots of pics red
and then i will write about what i did and stuff

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes my knife has arrived now i can begin carving
red is the featherstick challenge still on

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
good link
is it a badger
yes the CD rom arrived very soon and its great i have watched it a few times over
thanks leon

S

stevieg

have just read whole thread, and aside from the earlier wandering off subject there seems to be a wealth of advice here for Leon and others (self included as a 42 yo newbie to bushcrafting).

Leon one bit of advice I would expand on is the importance of sitting round a camp fire and chatting, this is time to reflect on what you learn, maybe have a few quizzes on what you see, and can do ,with what is around you and importantly have a laugh and chill. Yes there are serious sides to bushcraft (care with knives, poisoning from wrongly identified foods etc.) but just have fun with it and enjoy and cherish the worlds 'countryside' , and try to pass on your enthusiasm to others so as to inspire them.
Bushcraft is the experience of thousands of years,
without those to pass it on, it stops here - today.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
there is a good article in the latest bushcraft magazine on different functions of knife, in the form of a try stick, this you might find useful to get the feel for the knife.
Is this your first knife?
Alex

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander i no one of the tinders was birch bark but what was the other one
was it common reed
thanks leon

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
leon-b said:
yes my knife has arrived now i can begin carving
red is the featherstick challenge still on
Leon,

Sorry for the late reply mate - been over in France for a couple of days on business. Yes, mate, the bet is on if you light a featherstick from a firesteel

I see you have your knife now - take good care mate - never carve a featherstick in your lap - there an artery there (femoral). If you cut that, its unlikely the ambulance will get to you in time!

Red

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
fenlander i have been busy i will try and light it tommorow did you say there was a third one in there
red ok i better start practising

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE