Lets get some pictures up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
here is my big chopper
DSCN0340.jpg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
How easy is the ordering process? How big is that small blade you wanted?

Cheers,

Jake

leon-1

Jake, I am currently looking into buying a Gene Ingram, in fact if things work out I may well end up with 2. I posted on british blades and have had a lot of feedback with reference to Gene's work and the service that he provides.

One of the guys that uses the BB site has offered me one of gene's knives and to be honest I couldn't believe my luck :-D

They reviewed the 30# on the passaround at BB and there was only one person that had anything negative to say about it, if I recall correctly it was "there is nothing wrong with the knife, it just doesn't light my fire".

Since I hope to have one of these SOON I'll let you know, Oh bu***r, I seem to have been bitten by the BB Bug.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers mate, i am interested in Gene's work and will probably find myself getting a necker from him. Do tell when you get yours!

Jake.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Good luck Leon let us have pics when you get them both. Are you getting the second one direct from gene? Which models are they and what handles?

Jake the odering is easy, Gene is very helpful. His waiting list can be long (Nov 04 at the minute) but I have emailed twice now and he had the kind of thing I was looking for in stock because someone else let him down and I did the deal inside a week. The SLK is a 2 inch blade and 4 inch overall. Schwert has posted pics eairlier in this thread.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Wow Brix those sheaths are good. Loads of options on your site as well. I have been trying to find a decent sheath for my Wave for ages, next pay day maybe!!

Bill

leon-1

The first one (hopefully) will be the #30 model with african blackwood handles. With any luck this will be here in the next 10days or so :)

The second will be #6, have not decided on the handles as yet, I will need to discuss this with Gene, find out what he has to offer (from what I have heard this could be a large choice), but I like the sound of the seacow type scales for the handle. The order is going to have to wait untill next payday, but it will be going in :-D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I've been using the heck out of this knife lately (called a small pelter). It's a very thin 440C blade and it was made by Ron Post, a knifemaker from Canada. It's a real slicer and it's marketed mainly to trappers. Makes a heck of a bird and trout knife though.

ronpostsmallpelter1b.jpg

leon-1

Hoodoo, just when we had thought that we had seen your collection in it's entirety it increases :-D

That is a nice little knife though and how much are they.

Have you any room in your home where you can sit without sitting on something sharp? :lol:

I believe that this has got to be one of the finest collections that I have ever seen, but you are bad for my bank balance. Every time you post I see something new that I would like or just simply try out.

How many years have you been accumulating these marvellous tools?(sorry, some people don't look at knives as being a tool, but I am afraid that I do).

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hi leon. I bought that little knife here:

http://www.ramconnection.com/

I think it was around $40 or $50. It comes with a crappy sheath but the knife is well-made.

As for collecting, I dunno. I never thought of myself as a collector because I almost always buy using knives. Not that I don't have enough just to use. :-D

I've always had a few knives around going back to some very young days growing up on a farm but I never started accumulating knives until the late 70s when I started making a decent wage as a mechanic and could afford it. BTW, I know quite a few people who have collections that make mine look meager, especially in terms of customs. I have more SAKs, Moras, and Old Timers than anything.

leon-1

Thanks for the detail, I only have a few knives and as you said they are users more than decoration. I don't get out into the woods as often as I would like to, but am looking at cureing that one at the moment.

I have only just started to get a few more for proper field use as I am going into the wilds as much as I can. Still not very often, but it is getting there.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(sorry, some people don't look at knives as being a tool, but I am afraid that I do).

I'd agree with you there, i'd call a knife a working tool.

Looking at curing my own lack of outdooring! Been working lately for college so not much time. I think i spend too much of it in the snooker hall! Oops.

Jake

leon-1

Jake, that is spot on, unfortunately most of my experience is military based.

I still have an original Wilkison Sword survival knife :-o (the one that the M.O.D. was designed on and I have the the M.O.D. itself :shock: ), they are not much good for bushcraft and in the same thread if you need to cut your way out of an aircraft frame most of the pukko/bushcrafters knives that we see as a normal knife on the forum cannot do the job. :yikes:

It is horses for courses.

I think that with the restictions that were put on the designers they did well with it.

It had to be short enough to fight with (you need to be built like Garth), you had to be able to hack away at trees, an aircraft frame, smash open ammo crates and at the worst use it as a boar spear.

It is a group tool and as such is very good at what it does. I think that both Gary and Adi have said pretty much the same thing before and all I can do is echo the belief that they have.

I was interested in the ideas that people have on the khukri, having seen the Gurkha's use them, it takes a skilled user to use one and they are not something for a beginner in any way or form (I have seen them used by the best).

Now I am looking at tools with a bit more finnesse for the bush craft side of life.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I really like this one. The Gambit by Trace Rinaldi. The S30V (my first) is really super. I like this one so much I have a couple more knives coming in S30V. Lovely stuff.

gambit1c.jpg

leon-1

That is avery pretty knife Hoodoo, at some stage I will get a picture of my limited collection and post it, but I would rather wait untill I have one of the Ingrams.

I have a John Ek commando knife (no good for bushcraft) that would be more suited to the BB site than here, a brusletto polen, STIFF K.I.S.S outdoor, falkniven H1, the original Wilkie, M.O.D survival Knife, Golok and a CRKT M16.

This does not compare to what you have, but as I said they are all workers (no requirement for the EK nowadays) and the Brusletto has been in use for about 11years and I have no reason for complaint. The K.I.S.S is quite a nice knife, but I am always worried that I will break it.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Here is another offering from Gene Ingram, the Bird & Trout clad in bone.

WildlifeTomahawk.jpg

and in the kitchen;

Ing3.jpg

The blade is thin and sharp and 8.5 centimeters long. I ordered this one with a kydex neck sheath.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Stop stop I can't afford all these knives :wink: Every time I think I don't need any more someone posts another one which just looks so good.

Can we have a pic of the sheath as well Glen?

How big is you GB axe? I just got a Wildlife Hatchet forged by Mattias Mattson and I'm very happy with it.

Bill

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Bill that is the same as you have, the Wildlife forged by the same man. Aren't they sweet. I really like the new handle and bit. It got a short workout last evening along with my old style Wildlife. I like the newer more hand filling handle with a more comfortable shape as well. I could not tell any difference in the cutting between the two and I was testing them on some very hard seasoned mesquite wood.

I don't have a photo of the sheath but it is an average kydex sheath of sufficiant quality. If I do get a good shot of the knife with sheath I'll post it up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE