Lets get some pictures up

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Stew/Hoodoo,

I do indeed like Ingram's work. The Pocket Wharncliffe is only a few days in my hand and it is one of my favorite daily tools. The combo set is even a bit more versitile than I originally thought. The slightly longer #5 droppoint can be carried in the combo sheath just as well as the #4 without changing the sheath fit.

I have one more small knife from Gene on order, and we are working on the next one later this Spring.

His work is both excellent and very reasonable.

Here is a shot of the Family prior to the arrival of the #5 and Pocket Wharncliffe, to give some sense of scale.

Schwert_IngramFamily.jpg

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Schwert said:
Stew/Hoodoo,

I do indeed like Ingram's work. The Pocket Wharncliffe is only a few days in my hand and it is one of my favorite daily tools. The combo set is even a bit more versitile than I originally thought. The slightly longer #5 droppoint can be carried in the combo sheath just as well as the #4 without changing the sheath fit.

I have one more small knife from Gene on order, and we are working on the next one later this Spring.

His work is both excellent and very reasonable.

Here is a shot of the Family prior to the arrival of the #5 and Pocket Wharncliffe, to give some sense of scale.

..snipped image..

Wow, they really are nice.

The two small knives and the pocket Wharncliffe look great. Gives me some ideas about what I could do with the bar of D2 that I cut into 6" lengths last month... I

I'm a bit perplexed by "SeaCow", though. I imagine, from the way it's written, that it isn't genuine Manatee or Dugong bone, but cow shin that's been stained or aged to give that effect.

Keith.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Keith_Beef said:
I'm a bit perplexed by "SeaCow", though. I imagine, from the way it's written, that it isn't genuine Manatee or Dugong bone, but cow shin that's been stained or aged to give that effect.

Keith.

Keith,

I'm not sure how often Schwert visits here but he has gone into more detail on the Sea cow front on this thread at Outdoors Magazine.

hope that helps.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
As I sort of covered in the link that Stew placed (thanks BTW), this is real Steller's SeaCow bone. More than 200 years old. The Arctic SeaCow is a relative of the freshwater manatee, hunted to extinction in the late 1700's. The bones are rib bones that had no marrow and are now very interestingly colored with some small degree of bone tube texture. Really excellent stuff I think.

Here is an image from Boone Trading Company that sells the raw material.

RUSSC-Stellers.jpg

http://www.boonetrading.com/RawMaterials/RUSSC.html

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Here is the pic Gene Ingram sent when I bought my knife from him. I haven't had time to get any action shots yet but this gives you an idea.

37784.jpg

I agree with what has already been said about his knives, this is the best I have ever owned and very reasonably priced with the current exchange rate. The service I got was excellent as well.

I will try and get some other pics up soon and I hope everyone else keeps them comming as well.

Bill

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Bill, that one is very nice. I do not have any with bolsters....yet. What is the scale material? Looks very nice.

Gene has some aged Elk antler that he has not started using yet. I think my next one will be made with that. He also has some old ironwood....choices.

I am thinking of having him do a Great Plains Skinner for me...why I do not know but the one I saw of his was very compelling.....Imagine this with old cracked elk antler....

Here is his shot of it...

http://********.free.fr/guest/GRTPLNS2.jpg

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Schwert

The knife is a #20B with bone and stainless bolsters. I am not sure what bone exactly. I contacted Gene to see how long his delivery was and just mentioned about any knives in stock he had. He came back with two pics and I chose this one. My only regret is that it didn't have a lanyard hole in the handle like yours do. Apart from that it is perfect. The stainless bolsters do add to the overall weight of the knife quite a bit but I like that, it feels solid.

I would love a collection like yours but I think my wife would have something to say about that. I really like the double sheath you've got, was that something you came up with and were the individual sheaths expensive?

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I almost got the #20 instead of the #6....the main difference I think is blade stock 1/8" vs 5/32" respectively. I really like the one you have. I like braiding so I always want a lanyard hole, even though I have stayed with the simple leather thong and antler bead Gene supplies.

My double sheath was at my request. I wanted a Hunter's pair and ask Gene about a piggyback sheath...small knife on top of the larger one, and he then ask me about the spine-to-spine. The book under the Great Plains Skinner is "The Skinning Knife" by MC Cole....an excellent historical review of the knives of the plains. In it was essentially that flat spine-to-spine sheath. It had a slot in the center for a steel which I tried to find an old one to include but just could not get it together in time. Anyway that sheath was a first combo for Gene and I bought the whole package of 2 knives and 3 sheaths together....I sort of think Gene made me a good deal just because he likes to make new stuff from time to time.

I have no idea how much each of the individual sheaths added to the package but my guess is not much....not meaning that this is what everyone should expect but just in the context of this transaction.

Chad wrote a spectacular review of one of Ingram's #1 patterns. I totally agree with his conclusions and his observations on the knife and sheath. I just cannot seem to stop getting knives from Gene as I seem to have found a maker that suites my prefered styles, is exceptionally responsive to weird requests, and of course, makes fine knives at exceptional prices with relatively short delivery times.

Chads review is here, and well worth reading....

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=115

Chad takes great care to review tools in "real" use manners that I find perfectly suited to my normal and expected uses. Ingram's blades have impressed me greatly. I am working on an Ingram review that is not like Chad's with emphasis on testing but more about Ingram himself and his knifemaking style. This will not be up for some time, however.

The nicest thing about Ingram is that for somewhere around $120 you can have a great knife.....in many cases this is not much more and maybe even less than production knives. An extra few bucks can add some unique materials, but really a basic Ingram say with Micarta is a knife anyone would be proud to own and most likely a tool passed down with pride.

I feel very fortunate to have the ones I have, and to "know" Gene through them.

My next one again has a sheath design of my own......a neck sheath that hopefully will solve some of the things I most hate about this type of carry. Flat 6-plait kangaroo braid behind the neck then round 6-plait through "tunnels" on each side of the sheath...sort of making a bolo tie sheath. I am an odd character already, this should just add to the mix :roll:

Here is a preview of both the knife and the sheath idea.

Schwert_SLKsheath.jpg

and an image from Gene of the SLK knife...mine will be in green jigged bone.

Schwert_SLPK.jpg

I braided the kangaroo bolo that will go on this design. It is unterminated until Gene threads it into the sheath. It is also several inches longer than waist length...I will trim to suit. This could also be worn cross chest for underarm carry. The knife profile is small Sebenza like eh?

Schwert_Done.jpg

Sorry about the weird color cast...

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Wow that all looks great. I would love to see pics of the finished knife and neck sheath.

I have been thinking about making a cord to carry the #20B cross chest but I haven't decided what to use yet. Can you let me know where you got that Kangaroo leather? Did you have a pattern to do the braiding or make it up as you went along?

I read Chads article before I bought my knife from Gene and it helped make up my mind. British Blades were also having a passaround at the time and most people seemed to rave about it so that was good enough for me.

Bill

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
cool stuff mate, stylish bit of photography too! it's a bit disconcerting the way your billy seems to be suspended from a tree in the back ground though!

cheers, and.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
tenbears,

The braid is fairly easy and follows a standard pattern. A short tutorial with some absolutely awful color cast images can be found over at Outdoors-Magazine

This is done with 6 stings of 1/8" kangaroo. All hand cut kangaroo lace was purchased from David Morgan here in Washington. He is the braider of all the Indiana Jones and Cat women whips. Great person and his braiding book is perfect to start with. Here is the opening image....the rest of the tutorial I leave over at Outdoors-Magazine Forum.

Schwert_6Flat.jpg

http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=7901#7901

I buy my kangaroo from David Morgan. This is hand cut lace and it just top notch quality. Excellent stuff.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/proddeta...amp;ticket=638874-3407201&sequence=119898

His introductory braiding book should be on every shelf..

http://www.davidmorgan.com/proddeta...amp;ticket=638874-3407201&sequence=119908

As soon as the knife, sheath and braid return from Gene, I will get some images up. I am really hoping that this small knife in this sheath with this cord makes for a comfortable and easy carry.

You could easily braid 8 or even 12 plait flat kangaroo to make a super cross chest carry strap. This could be flat the whole length or go to round for the sheath attachment. The nice thing about a woven strap is that is tends to adjust and mold to the body, plus the leather will not slip around like a nylon strap. Instead of single diamond weave like I did in the 6-plait you could go under two over two in either 8 or 12 plait and make this fast and very nice looking at the same time. One ball of lace was required for this braid, so a cross body strap of 8 or 12 strings would need 2 balls of lace ($25/ball), so not cheap but nice.

I like the long round braid as it could be used for a fire bow string or other uses if needed. But really it is just fun, looks great and wears forever.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Bushblade...is that knife the fallkniven F1? It looks pretty big (or is it a small axe)?!

Cheers,

Jake

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Jake Rollnick said:
Bushblade...is that knife the fallkniven F1? It looks pretty big (or is it a small axe)?!

Cheers,

Jake

It is the F1, the axe is the GB pocket axe. I've only recently got the axe and took it along on last weeks trip to Scotland for a week in the woods, with a view to testing it out. The spoon knife in the pic is the frosts spoon knife. Spoons from left are Beech (on lone to my mate), Horse Chestnut (the product of all three tools), and my old Ash spoon which is my usual carry. I also carved one out of Oak using this combo, but that was a few days after this photo was taken.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
OK got hold of the camera and some time so here are some pics.
47728.jpg

47729.jpg

47731.jpg

47732.jpg

The detail around the bolsters and the handle is amazing. I love the sheath as well.
Schwert's braiding here and on outdoors-magazine.com has inspired me (and quite a few other people) to have a go at a neck cord so we will see how that goes.
I can not recommend Gene's knives highly enough and all that remains is to see if I can afford one of the SLK's on his new site.

Bill

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
WOW! Good to be back......Anyways, does that gene ingram have a convex grind?

Cheers,

Jake

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
No it is D2 tool steel using flat grind stock removal method. I hope that means more to you than me. Once we get into the technicalities I'm lost.

I have ordered an SLK from Gene mainly because I'm so impressed with this knife and also I've never had a small fixed blade which you can use like an SAK.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE