Self made Bushcraft - a DIY Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had been thinking of doing the D Boone Challenge but after the response to a thought on another thread I am going to propose a different challenge - "The DIY Challenge"!

The Rules are simple
Go out for a two night Bushcraft camp using nothing that you have not made, designed or heavily modified yourself.
While you are out on this camp make something else to add to your kit.
Take photos - no video as I cannot easily watch video - and post them on their own threads :)

Pretty simple eh?
OK - some comments and clarification :)

What counts as "Heavily Modified"?
Example - if you buy a canvas pack and sew on extra pockets, bind edges with leather, replace webbing straps with leather strap etc - that would count : if you attach a personal selection of Molle pouches to a Molle pack it would not.
Example - if you bought a commercial tarp and added extra guying points or end flaps it would count : if you bought a commercial tarp and temporarily added guys with those plastic clip things it would not count.
Example - if you turned a coffee storage tin into a billy can by addind a bail handle to the body and a wooden "button" to the lid -that would count : if you used an empty bean tin with a pair of pliers as a handle that would not count
Example - if you used a blanket that you backed with a proofed surface fabric ot made a blanket sleeping bag - that would count : if you used a blanket un altered - that would not count.
Getting the idea? - Good :)

What counts "Designed"?
This is fairly straight forward ... not everyone has the full set of skills or tools to make all the kit they need - but know what they want!
Example - if you get your Mum/Wife/boyfriend to knit you a pair of socks to your spec - that would count : buying a pair of home knitted socks at a craft fair would not.
Example - getting a blade-smith to make you a knife blade to your spec and then adding the handle and sheath yourself would count : buying a custom knife would not.
Example - Getting a commercial manufacturer to make a tarp/tent/ sleeping bag to your spec when no item like it appears in their catalogue would count : buying a hand made tarp from a commercial maker would not count if it was one of their standard designs.
Example - getting a tailor/seamstress to make you a shirt/jacket to your design would count :) : buying a tailor made jacket "off the peg" would not.

As much as is possible I would like to see kit that is made from scratch being used for this challenge.
Although I do not expect challengers to weave the fabric or tan the leather, smelt the iron, mine the flint or fell the trees to aquire the materials for their makings it would earn extra Kudos if you do!
Buying in fabric off the roll, blankets, leather, buckles, needles, thread, sewing machines, studs, buttons, zips etc etc etc is expected of challengers: using finished items made by someone else is not.

Exceptions
Maps and compass - use commercial ones for safety!
Mobile phone - again a safety tool
Hygiene kit - although it is possible to make soap, t-paste, t-brush etc and forage for natural loo paper alternatives commercial hygiene kit is acceptable for this challenge.
First Aid kits - commercial items please - but you can make the bag or box!
Watch - when travelling you may need more accurate time keeping than the sun! You could make your own watch strap though ...
Flashlights - OK to use these - but you could try making candle lanterns (even your own candles!) or natural torches of natural materials or oil lamps of your own construction.
Camera - how else can you share pictures of your achievement? - home made camera cases please....
By popular request - underwear! DIY shreddies can be ... less than comfortable ... but make them if you can!

As long as Safety is not compromised and no laws broken, the more kit that is used in the challenge that is totally self made, the closer you get to making things from absolute base materials (fell that tree for the timber, shoot that deer for the leather, smelt that iron for your knife) the more Kudos you will get!

No prizes, no certificates - just the fun of the challenge!
I hope that this inspires folk and I look forward to seeing posts of peoples DIY/MYO projects and camps...

Any questions or more clarification needed?
Post them on this thread please:)
I will post up pictures of some of my kit on a separate thread to give an idea of some stuff I could be/will be using :)

And before anyone mentions it this is not a cynical way of increasing sales of my books
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34704

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118767
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117324
but they may prove useful...
Lots of other patterns/ plans/ DIY books out there too......
Good luck, good making, good camping!
Have fun!
I look forward to seeing some interesting posts!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Mr Fenna :D

I'm not up for the kipping out, just too damned sore yet, but I happily make kit, and I like to see what others make too :D

M

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Nice one Mr Fenna :D

I'm not up for the kipping out, just too damned sore yet, but I happily make kit, and I like to see what others make too :D

M

If you want to make some kit for me i'd sleep out in it for you.........cos i'm just nice like that :D

And yes, great idea mr fenna....maybe i'll make some clothes one day

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
By popular request - underwear! DIY shreddies can be ... less than comfortable ... but make them if you can!

Thank god for that! For a second I thought I had to do it butt naked:)

If you want to... but most folk going for this challenge will probably try for some clothing...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am not that good at sewing, I couldn't make a complete outfit, not to mention the footwear.

Have you tried?
Once upon a time Versace had no idea either..... lots of You tube clips out there to help you...
I did not start sewing until I was in my 30s - but ended up designing for Craghoppers....
My metal work is basic (mainly self taught) as is my woodwork and while it is improving my leatherwork is all self taught too.
Give it a go - you never know until you try!

Lacijag1

Forager
Have you tried?
Once upon a time Versace had no idea either..... lots of You tube clips out there to help you...
I did not start sewing until I was in my 30s - but ended up designing for Craghoppers....
My metal work is basic (mainly self taught) as is my woodwork and while it is improving my leatherwork is all self taught too.
Give it a go - you never know until you try!

It's actually pretty funny cos I should have be able to do it. I have some basic sewing skills as I learned it in primary school plus from my mom:)
I guess I could make something but I wouldn't be happy with it. And I rather not make myself a laughing stock for others:)

But thanks for the supporting words, and congrats to u for designing for Craghoppers!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It's actually pretty funny cos I should have be able to do it. I have some basic sewing skills as I learned it in primary school plus from my mom:)
I guess I could make something but I wouldn't be happy with it. And I rather not make myself a laughing stock for others:)

But thanks for the supporting words, and congrats to u for designing for Craghoppers!

Only 2 bits of mine got into production - long ago and now not in the catalogue .....

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
That sounds like fun. I can even knit my own socks and make soap! I've never made a knife though, however I'm going to be doing the forge-your-own-knife workshop at the Bushcraft Show.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE