Lets get some pictures up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks Stew.

ESpy, I highly recommend David Morgan's book that I reference in the tutorial bits. This braid is very easy but Morgan has a bunch of leather handling tips and tricks as well as many other projects in the book....it is well worth the price ask.

TenBears is starting on a braid soon, I am hoping to see what results from that.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
SeaCow on Ice

Schwert_SeaCowIce.jpg

Gene Ingram, Steller's SeaCow Rib bone scales on (from left):

Pocket Wharncliffe
#4 DropPoint
#5 DropPoint
#1 Skinner
#6 DropPoint

These were stuck in a 5 foot high snowbank at Crater Lake National Park. Snow banks were high along all roads from the rotary plow efforts to clear upwards of 500 inches of annual snowfall. I could not resist this image of the arctic seacow bone against the snow in early morning light. The more I use these bone handles the more I appreciate them. They are warm and exhibit such a depth of character that they never fail to catch my eye. The #1 Skinner was just about perfect for the picnic lunches of cheese, sausage and crackers and was just about the most stylish of peanut butter spreaders I have ever used.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Ingram Family goes to Crater Lake National Park, Oregon, USA

Schwert_Ingram8CL.jpg

SeaCow bone and D2 or as noted.
From left:

#6 DropPoint
#1 Skinner
#5 DropPoint
#4 DropPoint
Pocket Wharncliffe
Pocket DropPoint (green jigged Micarta)
Pocket Naked (A2)

Bottom:

SLK, green bone

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The #6 is really nearly an ideal knife for me. When I first ordered it it was because it was available and ready to ship. This is how I discovered the SeaCow by accident. When I got it I thought it was a bit larger than my normal purchases over the last few years but now I really find it ideal. The hand grip is very good, the contours are shaped for many holds, the size just works for food prep and firebuilding. If I had to get rid of all my Ingram's this would be the last one to go. It is in 5/32" D2 rather than 1/8" like my other droppoints and again I first thought this unnecessary, but now really like it. I recommend the #6 highly. I am considering having Gene make me a 5" #6 so I would have a Rutstrum Marble's Expert sized knife in this pattern.

I was going to get a #20 essentially a 1/8" #6 but really do not think I will. The #30 I have not handled so I cannot compare the different handle shapes. All mine are the #6 contour type which works for me in all the sizes but especially works on the larger #6.

Hard to go wrong with Gene is my mantra now.

leon-1

Thank god you said that, the #6 I have ordered is S30V, has a 4 3/4 inch blade with an inch and a half of file work (for a firesteel) on the spine of the blade, the scales are removable beaded linen micarta and I have asked for some modification to the sheath.

Gene was excellent (I was half expecting to be told to B****R OFF) and has said that he will make to the spec that I required (including the sheath). I am a most happy teddy bear :-D

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Stew said:
Schwert put a tutorial on Outoors-Magazine

Ah... Thanks for that, guys.

David Morgan's book is on my Amazon wishlist, and I've just started playing with a lace cutter from Pearce-Tandy (Tandy have just added the Australian-style cutter to their lists, BTW). Thicker laces are definitely easier to cut.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
leon,

I am mighty curious to see that #6 when it is finished. I have found working with Gene to be a real pleasure. His communication and desire/ability to work with your desires is one reason I have bought so many from him. All around great guy IMO. Of course, now your modifed #6 and sheath modification have me real interested in getting another from Gene....geeze just when nearly all my knife commitments were getting close to being paid for. I still like the idea of a 5" model....SeaCow once again.

ESpy, let me know how that lace cutter is, I have never ventured down this path....yet. I have watched Morgan hand cut 1/8" lace from a skin using just his thumb as a guide....perfect and at the same time almost unbelievable.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
A shame that half of the pictures in this thread is down. :cry: I just get a red X... :?: Perhaps somethings wrong with the host machine?

Anyways, just thought I'd take a pic of mines.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good grief, Leathermans must be happy with you!!

I feel a bit embarrassed as I have a MOD survival knife, an Estwing Spotsmans with leather grip (I bought this because it is just about indestructible, but it really holds a good edge, it's really sharp!!), a cheapish folding saw with lockable blade, an old bowie type knife with antler handle (used to be my grandads) and a Wave that I carry and use every day. Not anything special, but they work for me.

I tried making my own blade along the lines of the woodlore, but have lost momentum due to a move. I have seen some nice tutorials on the BB site, so I want to get on with it after the missus has our third child anytime soon!! This is another reason why I haven't got out in the vast woodlands around here.

Some of the pictures here aren't working for me, but the ones I have seen are really nice, and also shows how different people prefer different blades. Very interesting.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers quaterstaff!

What are the two knives above and below your Fallkniven?

:biggthump

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Your probably right Tom, but the blade to me looks too short for a woodlore...And the NS just kinda looks funny, but i think thats because the bed-sheet has covered part of it, didn't think of that!

Oh yeah, and what aree the two above and below the Mikro? :D

Thanks...

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i was thinking that.. especily when compared to the north star which is pretty small!! maybe something by bison..??

i was wondering about the ones either side of the mikro... dono what they are.. and two Sebenza :naughty:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
hootchi said:
Andy, what is the one above the brusletto at the bottom?:?:
From top to bottom: Cold Steel Kukri Machete, Syrømeng 8'' leuku, Mora, Homemade Brusletto (ugly), another homemade unfortunately i saw the butt of it :cry: , Karesuando Ørnen and lastly Brusletto Bamsen. Last two is about to be bought from one of my school mates.

Left side: Vic Outrider, Vic Huntsman. Right side: Wenger Ranger camo 05, Axe (wildlife size, 800 gram head). :wave:

hootchi

Settler
Sorry mate, you have only named seven, there is eight.:eek:): I think.

The Bamsen has the stainless pommel and ferrule, at the very bottom, yeah? What are the two above that, reddish handle, flayed pommel and brass ferrule and smaller one with goldish handle.

Sorry for my lack of perception!! :roll:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE