Kit that has never been bettered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
SVEA 123 was first produced in 1955 using a design concept dating back to the late 19th century and the design concept of the burner is still used by all liquid fuel stoves. The self vapourising aspect was/is stunning in its simplicity and effectiveness.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Wool socks
Swiss Army Knife
A frame tent
Leather and brass belt
Billhooks
Axes

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Spectacles - they let me see things and these days make me look brainy.

NHS specs and the whole Joe90/milky bar kid look as a kid was a temporary aberration - thankfully...

Liam

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
copper does

Copper is generally considered 2nd best after cast iron. Irrelevant however as either copper or C.I. is still just a material (limiting it to "cookware" is a bit more specific but still a bit generic)

To be more specific; a C.I. Dutch Oven hasn't been improved on. Other pots and pans and various mess kits do various bits of cooking but none can do everything like a D.O.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
the hobo stove, its light and with the wright billy can they can nest together better than some of these flat pack stove you can get today that you have to put together, its also great as a wind breaker for other stoves and act as a little camp fire for overnite stays, its been arround for years, its free and fun to make, they can last a very long time. the only thing that beats a hobo stove is a camp fire but thats not a peace of kit i carry in my bag, i carry that in my brain and its always improving getting faster lighter and stonger ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Playing Devils Advocate here .... Velcro!
The greatest all perpos fastener - most kids since its invention would not be able to get dressed by themselves without it (I know of voting age folk who cannot tie a shoe lace ...and I am not talking about the Mencap clients I work for) and even those who perport to hate it incorporate it into their designs as nothing else works in some situations (hi Wayland :D)!
Not too keen on the stuff myself either ... but boy is it useful!

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Any of the traditional brass paraffin pressure stoves, preferably Swedish.

Powerful, reliable, easily fixable. There are guys on Classic Camp Stoves who use stoves which are 75+ years old, and they're (the stoves) still going strong.

My user Optimus 00 is 40 years old give or take and works brilliantly.

Cheers

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Svea_123R.jpg

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Black Nasty Tape repair everything from tents to Aircraft
Zippo Lighters
Light my Fire firesteel (now issued to the army)
Swiss army Forester model - has everything you need on a legal pocket knife
The Black Bin bag 101 uses

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The humble 3 stone fire, still highly efficient.

The carved wooden spoon, better than plastic, metal, or anything else.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@johnboy
The burner vapouriser pre-heats the fuel as it comes from the fuel tank so that it emerges into the combustion chamber as a vapour. The vaopour jet impinges on a "flame spreader" plate which induces swirl and ensures effective mixing with air drawn in by the vapour jet. That leads to more complete combustion and the blue flame, leading to no sooting of pots.
It seems I am not allowed to load images, so you have to go here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123
to see an image.
further research shows that the original patent for this process was 1897 to Primus, so my original attribution to SVEA was in error
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primus_stove

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gasoline_Stove_Burner_Design.jpg
shows the burner enlarged. The fuel vapour jet draws in air from the side openings much like a Bunsen burner, be cannot have a long mixing tube like hte Bunsen, so a plate is placed in the path of the jet to induce swirl for complete mixing in a confined space the mixed air/vapour emerges around the periphery of the spreader plate and ignites.

Miniwhisk

Forager
Apr 7, 2010
Gloucestershire
Well there is goretex, eVent, pertex. All these materials were designed to surpass waterproof to weight ratio. I used to have a gabardine mac - it was all I ever needed for school lol. But seriously, why am I spending time researching the latest waterproof jackets, with all the confusion of so many good brands and their own particular technical names for similar fabrics? Good old goretex will do!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE