Kit that has never been bettered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Canned food? Scott used it and apparently when some was opened recently it was still edible. Freeze dry etc. has its uses but I keep a can or two of stew in the van and sometimes a can of bully beef in the pack. There have been times when heating has been impossible and cold bully beef has seemed like a gourmet feast- yes, I've really been that desperate!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Canned food? Scott used it and apparently when some was opened recently it was still edible. Freeze dry etc. has its uses but I keep a can or two of stew in the van and sometimes a can of bully beef in the pack. There have been times when heating has been impossible and cold bully beef has seemed like a gourmet feast- yes, I've really been that desperate!

Yes very good but unfortunately it HAS been changed (bettered?) more or less continually since it's original invention. First improvements were better (less toxic) metals, next were better (healthier, low salt ) recipes. The modern version (pull top) doesn't require any type can opener.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wool socks, hickory axe handles, the axe generally. The scandi knife.

The walking stick.

I don't think basic tent design has changed much either. Most of us still use a basic lean-to or A-frame style setup.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Optimus paraffin stove. Still used in the Poles (45?) because it is simple, bulletproof, effective.

You are right. Picture sent to me from 'down south' from a chap there.

IMG_0187640x480.jpg

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Can I take cost into account? I'll take that as a yes!

For around £35, the MoD knife (tree beater)! Back off knife snobs! Lol
For me and my use it's perfect, 500g lighter then even a hawk, good chopper/splitter. Possible to carve, I made a bow drill set just using mine. Easy to get shaving sharp. Though I should say I've put a scandi grind on mine, and a (I think it's called) drop point, so I can get the tip in for carving. If I was stranded and could only pick one knife, I know it wouldn't let me down.

Cheers

Mat

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Got to agree with most
a compass
Swiss army knife
Pans
58 ptn waterbottle
Army Jersey Heavy Wool and Fibre Pile jacket always use one or the other
Cotton gabardine
Plastic tubs

A spoon (but metal)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can I take cost into account? I'll take that as a yes!

For around £35, the MoD knife (tree beater)! Back off knife snobs! Lol
For me and my use it's perfect, 500g lighter then even a hawk, good chopper/splitter. Possible to carve, I made a bow drill set just using mine. Easy to get shaving sharp. Though I should say I've put a scandi grind on mine, and a (I think it's called) drop point, so I can get the tip in for carving. If I was stranded and could only pick one knife, I know it wouldn't let me down.

Cheers

Mat

I agree that the MOD knife is a great knife but I think it's in contrast to the concept posed in original post of kit that's "never been bettered." The first knives were flint, then "bettered" by metal, then better metals and designs. The end result was the MoD knife. That means it isn't an original in itself, but rather it IS the BETTERED version of the original.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I agree that the MOD knife is a great knife but I think it's in contrast to the concept posed in original post of kit that's "never been bettered." The first knives were flint, then "bettered" by metal, then better metals and designs. The end result was the MoD knife. That means it isn't an original in itself, but rather it IS the BETTERED version of the original.

Could say the same for pretty much everything mentioned so far on this thread.

Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
the canoe
rifles, pistols, shotguns
the pencil
down sleeping bags and parkas
mickey mouse boots
spinning reels
fly rods
4-wheel drive
archery
butane lighter
leather boots
snowshoes
x-country skis
sunglasses
stainless steel water bottles
wrist watch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE