Kit that has never been bettered

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Things are always advancing becoming smaller, lighter, quicker etc...

What kit do the forum members know of that have never been bettered by advancing technology and also their rough time of invention?

Steve.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Water - I find this one rather handy although it can be improved upon in the form of tea or alcohol.

Craig.......

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Fire, fire is very important.

Underfloor heating is good, but its not portable, and aside from warms, none of the appeal.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Have candles ever been improved? Also the basic form of Paraffin wick lamps? I don't think so as these were used extensively in the past so any evolution would have already happened?

Also on lighting, Tilley/Vapalux/Petomax lamps, have these ever been really improved?

Steve.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Things are always advancing becoming smaller, lighter, quicker etc...

What kit do the forum members know of that have never been bettered by advancing technology and also their rough time of invention?

Steve.

Steve, am I right in thinking that you were actually trying to pin down specific items of kit....perhaps something a little more 'interesting' than ...metal, wood and water? ;) (c'mon guys)

Perhaps something such as the Primus Omnifuel or Optimus SVEA...Berghaus Yetis...Tilley T3 or maybe '58 webbing ;)

Cheers
Sack

Sorry no dates yet...but I reckon the webbing probably dates back to...um...let me think... (and before someone says that '58 webbing came into existence in '56'57'59'60....WHATEVER :))

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Steve, am I right in thinking that you were actually trying to pin down specific items of kit....perhaps something a little more 'interesting' than ...metal, wood and water? ;) (c'mon guys)

Perhaps something such as the Primus Omnifuel or Optimus SVEA...Berghaus Yetis...Tilley T3 or maybe '58 webbing ;)

Cheers
Sack

Sorry no dates yet...but I reckon the webbing probably dates back to...um...let me think...

Yes sort of. Generic things such as wool, metal, down, wood, etc... are all things unable to be changed..much!

It's the things made from these things that have maybe been used in the past that have not been surpassed by modern tech' that i'm thinking of.

E.g, is there anything that say Scott of the Antarctic used or Sir Edmund Hillary that is still un-surpassed today for efficiency?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE