Identities, who do people think you are?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....The one that really gets my goat is the friends of friends people i hardly know who think its a conversation opener to say "so your the one who think your bear grills then?" gets right on my thripneys....

Just look 'em straight in the eye and as serious as you can reply, "No. I'm the man Bear Grylls wishes he was."

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As most of my friends are outdoor types themselves (indeed most people I know at all; whether they be friends or not) I suspect they believe I'm a bit behind them in ability. As i get older and slower I suspect they're right.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I sometimes go camping, but don't even own a tent.
As for the rest of the stuff I do, well it keeps me interested while I walk the dog.

Its more of Herbaceous Bordercraft :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I'm that weird fisherman who never seems to put his big rudds and roaches back.
Or that kid that walks for 20 miles with a dog and actually enjoys it.

Oh and my mum always says I stink whenever: I had a fire, I sharpened my knife, I struck a ferro rod, I went fishing, I butchered something or went out hiking.

They can say I'm crazy, I don't care about other's opinions as I'm kinda sure they're the crazy ones for hardly ever going outside.:)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Oh and the postman knows me quite well too! If you know what i mean? Sure he is a government agent.

Ivan...

Pity the postman, never mind seeing where all that mail comes from, there are times without mention where I have answered the door straight out of the bath, desperately trying to hold on to a towel while signing for a parcel

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That is a really good question to ask; it has made me think quite hard about who I think I am as opposed to how others see me.

To my family I am just a son, a husband and a brother (although not to the same person!) who is deeply drawn to learning ancient living skills and then sharing some of my limited knowledge with the school groups I work with.

To my immediate circle of work colleagues I am the guy who lights fires with kids in the forest!

To me I am just an ordinary bloke who is interested in learning about anything and everything I can, be it wildlife, flora or the combustion properties of flax.

Tat2trev

Native
Dec 10, 2012
County Durham
people see the short stocky dude mohawk, tattoos everywhere face and hands.God he must be a right nutter.what they dont see is me at home married playing with the kids,and enjoying life both at home and in the woods.Moral of this is dont be too quick to judge a book by it's cover

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
people see the short stocky dude mohawk, tattoos everywhere face and hands.God he must be a right nutter.what they dont see is me at home married playing with the kids,and enjoying life both at home and in the woods.Moral of this is dont be too quick to judge a book by it's cover

Too true mate

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
My mother wrote off any chance of me having a normal life when she came home to find me cooking meat on a stick over a fire in the back yard at about age 10. Little has changed since then.

"I have no responsibility to be like they expect me to be. It's their mistake, not my failing." Richard. Feynman

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
581676_494230347304226_251877735_n.jpg

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
To my school friends I'm the one who spends all his time doing exercise or biviing, and who has duplicate pieces of kit for 'no reason' (different situations, different kit)
To others at school, I'm the one who wears one of many 'stupid' coats and cycles to school
I really dont mind tbh, they can like me or lump me, and sometimes I can persuade a friend to come and bivi with me (every time a huge success)

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
I'm the weird chick who lives with a bunch of animals is a 135 year old house without central heating or indoor plumbing ie. outhouse behingd the catlle shed, well without drinkable water. Still I manage to get to work not smelling too bad. The least weirdest part not being the facts I slaughter horses for food or go fishing for relaxation, but doubt either would work as a pick up line in a bar full of vegetarians :lmao:

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
Might work in Canada. A girl with a canoe typically does well here with the boys that like to fish.

Not sure about the horses though?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That's a great quote:)

There's plenty to choose from with Richard Feynman.

“I have a friend who's an artist and has sometimes taken a view which I don't agree with very well. He'll hold up a flower and say "look how beautiful it is," and I'll agree. Then he says "I as an artist can see how beautiful this is but you as a scientist take this all apart and it becomes a dull thing," and I think that he's kind of nutty. First of all, the beauty that he sees is available to other people and to me too, I believe. Although I may not be quite as refined aesthetically as he is ... I can appreciate the beauty of a flower. At the same time, I see much more about the flower than he sees. I could imagine the cells in there, the complicated actions inside, which also have a beauty. I mean it's not just beauty at this dimension, at one centimeter; there's also beauty at smaller dimensions, the inner structure, also the processes. The fact that the colors in the flower evolved in order to attract insects to pollinate it is interesting; it means that insects can see the color. It adds a question: does this aesthetic sense also exist in the lower forms? Why is it aesthetic? All kinds of interesting questions which the science knowledge only adds to the excitement, the mystery and the awe of a flower. It only adds. I don't understand how it subtracts.”

“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of uncertainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure of anything and there are many things I don't know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we're here. I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it really is as far as I can tell.”

“There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical numbers.”

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE