Hammock or ground dweller?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Where do you like to dwell in the woods?

• In a hammock

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • On the ground

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Both

Votes: 39 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hammocks.

But they are good for afternoon naps.

Serious sleep, I tend to move about and change position a lot

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
P.S. I just ordered a DD Hammock. Can't wait to try it out, have never slept in one...

:))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
In the woods I'm mostly arboreal but I do go terrestrial on occasion.

Winter_Hammock-4.jpg

I've pretty well got my set up winterised when I need it so why be uncomfortable?

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I just discovered the comfort of a hammock. I now have a problem with sleeping on the ground without a tent or mossy net over me after spending a night with torch in hand scanning the ground after I had a slug in my hair and across my face at 3 in the morning (I knocked it into my bivvy bag). So I borrowed a hammock and discovered how comfy they are, I got three nights really good sleep in it after that. So I would say I am def. a swinger when I camp alone, but I have to say that for family camping, sometimes it is nicer to cuddle up next to your loved ones in a tent.

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire
had lots of tents over the years got a hammock for arras
us army issue with mossie net and tarp a group of us were visiting ww1 sites on a very slim budget
and couldnt get on a camp ground (because we are english we were told)
i just didnt fancy being the one knocking in the tent peg on ground
that has had a couple of thousand shells lobbed at it knowing my luck it would have been
tap tap tap..................
boom
i now have shafted knees so crawling into a tent hurts too much
oh yes ive suffered the attack of the killer snails whilst bivvying up in germany
they do like to go for it about 3am

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Trouble I had with the hammock is that it took me a night to get used to it.
I'm a side sleeper which in itself isn't a problem but found that the first night out I woke up every time I rolled over.
Doesn't sound much but was annoying enough to send me back to ground again.

Can't be beaten for comfort though. I regularly hit day three or thereabouts of a trip and start wishing I'd put up with the first night fitful sleep.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Troglodyte me.

Just never got around to trying out a hammock.

Plus, the dog keeps me warm on the ground but I'd no doubt get booted out if we shared a hammock.

Liam

I tried sharing a hammock with the dog....once. he was comfortable as a Lord while I was squashed.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Voted on the ground, but have always had a hankering for trying a hammock. So on the ground for now, and who knows for the future??

Andie

Jul 26, 2011
Alfreton,DerbyShire
used to be a ground dweller for over 20 years and brought my first hammock this year and never looked back and never had such a good night sleep while out camping so for me its always the hammock root from now on

Apr 28, 2011
Orpington
First night in a hammock at the weekend..... very good apart from waking up cold a number of times!!! I now realise insulating the underneath is a must! Ignored the advice..... error!!! IMG_0858.jpg

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
I selected ground dweller as that's all I've ever known but I'm curious about this whole hammock thing.
Is it possible to use a hammock as a tent or bivvi when there aren't any trees around?

I selected ground dweller as that's all I've ever known but I'm curious about this whole hammock thing.
Is it possible to use a hammock as a tent or bivvi when there aren't any trees around?

Not really, but you could use your tarp as a tent. The DD travel hammock has a bivi base, but none that I know of are completely waterproof. Also you want your hammock to breathe, so waterproofing one yourself could be tricky to get right.

Adam

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I must be one of the relatively few peoiple who started with a hammock but are currently 'ground' dwelling. Mind you I do have an exped downmat on a camp bed with a memory foam mattress on top with a US sleep system on top of that.

Yes I know, before you say it - big softie. I plead guilty as charged.

I will probably end up somewhere inbetween - a camp bed suspended between two trees

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
I use an old Army Hammock-stretcher. it's bulky and heavy, but very versatile. It's a hammock or a groundsheet as required, and as it has wide pole sleeves on all four sides with a little bit of work to find straight poles, it can be a raised, heated bed. Whichever way I rig it, I put a German folding kip mat and a 3/4 length Therm-a-rest on top, and usually get a good nights sleep.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE