Why a tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
No one has said this yet so I'll add it: it's a pleasurable bushcraft skill to master.

It's an excuse to learn, do and practice knots & handle/collect rope; and the art of learning, designing, pitching and situating a tarp is a survival skillset which some people find inherently interesting. I often go into the hills, put up a tarp for fun, read for a bit and then go home.

I don't tarp camp, but I do always have mine with me on adventures. Keeping sun or rain off leaves you more energy, and it's also useful for outdoor DIY in bad weather, or to save an outdoor party, or to give a baby or toddler more comfort. It can also be used as a poncho or a groundsheet. Some bushcrafters just can't get enough of having the right tool at the right moment, doubly so when it's versatile!

This week I:
- rigged up a tarp to keep my rescue bunny safe(r) while temporarily lodged in my leaky garage.
- put another one over my garden to allow me to cut wood out of doors, a safer environment for it
- Previous time I used it was a temporary shelter to keep my bags dry on a wildcamp where the weather report had promised sun all night, & it was obviously wrong.

I've used it in the car to discourage pets from moving from the back seat into where I'm driving. Oh and a great camping use of tarps: if it's raining when you break camp, you can stay dry while packing your tent and bits, and then stuff your tarp into a bag for life as the last step before making a break for the car.

None of these are mission critical problems, but it always gives you that little thrill of delight to realise you have a chance to use a skill.

haptalaon

Tenderfoot
Nov 16, 2023
South Wales
Another really good use of a tarp: we can't afford to run heating in the winter, it gets very cold in our cottage, but you can string a tarp over/around a bed - with lashed branches or to the bed itself depending on the design - and hey presto, it's a tent, and your body warmth seeps out and into the tarp cocoon.

One of those skillsets which never stops giving!

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
No one has said this yet so I'll add it: it's a pleasurable bushcraft skill to master.
In fact they have :). Me.

I believe that you are right.

From what has been said above, I have very little use for a tarp in my particular approach to camping. This is in no way suggesting that it isn’t everything people have been saying. The enthusiasm that I’ve seen ever since I first came here speaks volumes for its usefulness.

However, watching that video has persuaded me to learn some of those folds just for the pure pleasure of learning a new skill. Using it isn’t important to me. The fun of playing with it is.
Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Nice65

Falstaff

Forager
Feb 12, 2023
Berkshire
The sheer versatility and challenge of it, plus the sense of freedom, stealth, fresh air and knowing that whereever, whatever I can rig something up.

I take 2 or 4 lightweight short tent poles with me so I'm not dependent on trees etc. which provides more options than a hiking pole. Havre said that, I'm making an ultralightweight sectional walking staff and shall try making some tarp shapes with that.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Well, well, well.
My daughter borrowed some of my kit to augment hers for a festival in Gloucester.
It seems that she took the tarp:lmao:

9b357b74-9331-48d7-82a6-c4d177bc8164.jpeg

She did have her four year old son with her for a wet event so it did end up useful.

I’ll get round to playing with it later.

Edited to add:
………… If I ever get it back.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE