Hammock or ground dweller?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Where do you like to dwell in the woods?

• In a hammock

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • On the ground

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Both

Votes: 39 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ground dweller. Quicker to set up, lighter weight, more flexible in terms of suitable locations (no need for trees), and you can't fall out when drunk.

Which is not to say I haven't got a hammock too... :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
can't beat sleeping in a small trench under a bush :)

I've got a hammock and used it alot but not for sleeping in, just chilling out in when in the woods as I can't help but feel too enclosed and vulnerable when zipped in at night..

Not keen on tents that much either at night, I much prefer to be able to see my surroundings while being subtley hidden away with nature.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We need the extra option - both...depending on how you feel at the time/location/activity.
I like my hammock but I also like ground dwelling (handy when there are no trees big enough or close enough to each other) but my hammock set up weighs more than my grond dwelling kit, I dislike hammocking when the wind is so strong that trees are swaying (I get sea sick) but I dislike ground dwelling in marshy /sandy or plain wet ground conditions....

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
depends on situation, although prefered is hammock, if im with other people, in a large group its funner to sleep in a bivvi with everyone else

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
at the moment i am a Ground dweller but soon i will be trying out a hammock...

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Have always been a ground dweller but a growing desire to camp right in the woods and reading threads on here has tempted me to try swinging :) Just getting my first hammock setup together courtesy of steve48 and mayfly so hopefully i'll be in a position (horizontal, hopefully!) to answer this question properly soon

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I sleep on either my side or my front and find i can't get a decent nights sleep in a hammock, So a Ground Dweller i am

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Swopped my phoenix phoxhole hooped bivi last year for a DD hammock. Still have'nt used the hammock, but have since got another phoxhole off ebay.

Rob

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I've tried both!!! But I like lying in bed (on the ground) and making a brew before I get out my sleeping bag!!!! Bit more difficult whilst swinging between trees :D

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Both options.

Usually I will sleep on the ground, however sometimes a hammock can be a necessity, I have a Hennesey one which sets up in minutes and weighs next to nothing.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE