Hammock or ground dweller?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Where do you like to dwell in the woods?

• In a hammock

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • On the ground

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Both

Votes: 39 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Was going to be a hammocker tonight but after driving to collect my parcel i realized i forgot the card and my license was not good enough i.d. for the 'helpful' lady in the post office :theyareon

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'm sure I've posted these before but daymn I love my hammock;

7.jpg

P1000326.jpg

P1000279.jpg

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

And guess where I am just now? Swinging in the trees in the city park :D

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I've never slept in a hammock, but I've fancied trying one of those 'jungle hammocks' (with overhead cover and an insect net) for ages.

Rumcelt

Forager
Aug 14, 2010
Ipswich Suffolk UK
Hi All

I use a DD hammock most of the time with the a DD big tarp.
I have found it a bit cold over the winter so I am going to try using the tarp like a bull-pup tent.
Or a closed in lean-to and with the new candle lantern I have see if I can keep a little bit wormier, when it dips down to below -0

Regards
Tony

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
This business of hammock camping must be a UK thing... if you took this poll in Canada, the tenters would have it 99 to one.
If I'm ever on a solo trip, I'll give the hammock a try just to say i did.

Most people in Canada don't know about the hammock option. Getting back in the hammock is a relatively new camping experience but its gaining popularity quickly because for allot of people its the answer.There are mainstream commercial hammocks coming out now, the boy scouts of America are starting to switch over and people are generally starting to clue in to the option. What's great about the hammock is it gives you another option and is a very good option for those who's knee's are worn out and or who just can't sleep on the ground anymore. Unfortunately people have there preferences like ford/chevy and then rationalize their choice. Theirs no need. Bothe have their place. I tented for 14 yrs as part of my job. Now i hammock camp and am happy to but i might go to ground sometime.Its not a club, its a tool ,albeit comfortable one.

bill

Panama Jungle

Jan 7, 2010
Panama
I have done both in the jungle, on the ground on beds of palm leaves in improvised palm branch shelters and in a hammock. In the former I spent most of the night worried about tarantulas and snakes (advice from instructor - just keep still and they will go away!!) so hammock with built-in mossie net is the way to go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE