Hammock or ground dweller?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Where do you like to dwell in the woods?

• In a hammock

Votes: 58 36.7%
  • On the ground

Votes: 61 38.6%
  • Both

Votes: 39 24.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
hmmm both, depending on the time of year. Im relatively new to hammocking, and I could imagine in winter, unless you carried bulky underblankets etc, then you could wake up VERY cold. but in spring/summer its a joy to sleep in. However, Im a ground gripper at heart...plus, you cant fall off the ground!!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
hmmm both, depending on the time of year. Im relatively new to hammocking, and I could imagine in winter, unless you carried bulky underblankets etc, then you could wake up VERY cold. but in spring/summer its a joy to sleep in. However, Im a ground gripper at heart...plus, you cant fall off the ground!!

I found that in winter i was toasty using my uq with a pad. The pad insulates the back completely just as it would on the ground, and the uq kept my shoulders and sides of my legs warm, as well as acting as a good windchill block. I slept in a sleeping bag and burrowed down and kept the neck baffle up.

A hot water bottle between the thighs really helps too if you sleep cold like me.

IMO there is nothing like sleeping in a netless hammock without a tarp in the dead of winter. Crisp skies above you and warm in your swinging cocoon..

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Ground for me but theres usualy between 2&4 of us so it ends up more like a group shelter so hammock would be a bit antisocial plus its dificult if i take the dog.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hammock, although I did end up a ground dweller once, sitting too far back to remove me wellies :rolleyes:

I have kipped on the floor a few times though, once just in a bivi (open faced) in the middle of nowhere, watching the stars...

And waiting for a big hairy spided to land in me gob.

P.s I sleep on my side in the hammock, no probs!

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
i'm a definate ground dweller,i have to sleep on my side or back otherwise i'd definately go for a hammock :)

I always have to sleep on my side but it's actually amazing the new positions you find sleeping in a hammock, I cannot under any circumstances sleep on my back in bed/on the ground but in a hammock I'm on my back and my head and some of my body are on the side, it sounds awful but it's probably more comfortable than my bed at home :lmao:

kesom

Jun 19, 2011
birmingham
I always have to sleep on my side but it's actually amazing the new positions you find sleeping in a hammock, I cannot under any circumstances sleep on my back in bed/on the ground but in a hammock I'm on my back and my head and some of my body are on the side, it sounds awful but it's probably more comfortable than my bed at home :lmao:

cheers for that bit of info jinsin,i've always just had it in my head that i would sleep on my side in one and wake up with a numb spine so always disregarded them.i might just try a hammock before the end of the summer now :)

peace ken :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Im my hammock i sometimes end up as a small ball in the middle :p

Same. I usually fall asleep on my back and wake in a semi foetal on my side. Bigger hammocks allow you more space to stretch out on your front, but it's not as comfy as in a bed and I doubt I could sleep on my front in a hammock.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Ground dweller so far. But with my back problems, I wonder if I should try out the hammock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Troglodyte me.

Just never got around to trying out a hammock.

Plus, the dog keeps me warm on the ground but I'd no doubt get booted out if we shared a hammock.

Liam

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Voted both, but...

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE