Favourite Street Food? Please Answer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I often eat raw Japanese oysters while walking the dog as they're an invasive species here.
Sometimes I burn an armful of dry grass over them which cooks them, making them even more tasty.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oh hell yeah - a real good donner kebab, lashings of chilli sauce and a soft flat bread of some sort.......and chips...proper chips....not fries!

Depends. If by "fries" you mean those frozen abominations that may be fried or may be baked (whether served by Mickey D's or some other such or the frozen, bagged ones from the supermarket) then I agree with you. But if by "fries" you mean proper cut fresh potatoes deep fat fried; then it's be hard to even tell a difference between them and "chips."

The real difference (assuming both are proper fresh cut and fried potatoes) would be in the choice of condiments.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ahhhh! Thank you VM3. You've reminded me of another favorite from Latin America; Empanadas!

Latin America? Spain please! :)

Latin Americans may have adopted the recipe but empanadas came from Spain and Portugal.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Latin Americans may have adopted the recipe but empanadas came from Spain and Portugal.

Not the same. Spain and Portugal they're made with wheat flour whereas in much (not all) of Latin America they're made with corn. And at least one city in Mexico adopted theirs from Wales. They were also independently developed in India and Asia under different names.

But more to the point the title of the OP is FVORITE Street Food. Latin American (specifically Panamanian and Mexican) empanadas would have to be my favorite as I've never eaten them anywhere else.

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Not the same. Spain and Portugal they're made with wheat flour whereas in much (not all) of Latin America they're made with corn. And at least one city in Mexico adopted theirs from Wales. They were also independently developed in India and Asia under different names.

But more to the point the title of the OP is FVORITE Street Food. Latin American (specifically Panamanian and Mexican) empanadas would have to be my favorite as I've never eaten them anywhere else.

Still based on the European ones though. We can't help it if the Latin Americans had to resort to corn flour :)

I like both. I live in Spain these days and there are a lot of the Latin American ones sold on the streets here too. I have to rely on my Spanish mother-in-law for the Spanish version.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't want to wander too far from the OP but even non-street ethnic foods such as jambalaya have European roots. When you think about it, it's nothing more than a Cajunized paella.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Don't want to wander too far from the OP but even non-street ethnic foods such as jambalaya have European roots. When you think about it, it's nothing more than a Cajunized paella.

I wouldn't disagree. I don't think we are wandering from the OP. Variations of empanadas, paella and jambalaya have all been introduced as street foods. I've seen all of them sold from stalls in London and some in Spain.

My personal favourites would be Thai street and market food. There are too many to list but all the satays and skewered meats are good. Som Tam is great and coconut icecream sublime.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the ultimate British street food has to be the roll. No mess, no fuss, no need for litter.

Roll on bacon,
Roll on fried egg,
Roll on sausage,
Roll on venison,
Roll on chips,
Roll on grilled tofu and fried onions,
Salad roll,
Cheese roll,
Roll on .....just about any blooming thing you fancy :D

....why do we call it a 'roll on' something though ?

M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I think the ultimate British street food has to be the roll. No mess, no fuss, no need for litter.

Roll on bacon,
Roll on fried egg,
Roll on sausage,
Roll on venison,
Roll on chips,
Salad roll,
Cheese roll,

M

Dunno why you call it a "roll on" that's deodorant to me - where I come from it's a butty.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

And they got the idea from the Moors who owned their posteriors at that time :rolleyes:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Roll on bacon,
Roll on fried egg,
Roll on sausage,
Roll on venison,
Roll on chips,
Salad roll,
Cheese roll,

M

I'd always assumed it was "roll AND ..." but the accent changed it to "roll'n..." or "roll on...".

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Mountain man & Huon, sorry was trying to be funny. I think every culture has at least one thing similar in their repertoire.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Mountain man & Huon, sorry was trying to be funny. I think every culture has at least one thing similar in their repertoire.

You should stick to what you're good.....
Maybe not such a realistic suggestion :)

I didn't mind. I'm not Spanish. The best street food is obviously hangi-cooked meat, veg and kumera :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE