Do you use a table and what type

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just wondering if people tend to use a table when car camping (thinking meets) and if so which ones. I have a tesco folding camp table which is full height.

ultrafit-camping-foldable-table-302.jpg

Although practical, its not very bushcraft though in terms of fitting in with the surroundings. I have been considering getting a fishing bait table like the one below

BIVVY%20TABLE-500x500.jpg

So I guess the question is really one of etiquette. Is a shiney alu table a bit too stand out and civvy or should i just save my money and use what i have. I dont want to be laughed out of town on my first meet lol

Cheers
Paul

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I reckon the closest I get to a table is The cardboard banana boxes I get my food shopping in. Once I'm parked up, the food goes into the boot The beer goes under the car and I flip over the banana box as my improvised table.

Or the plastic storage boxes I keep my car camping stuff in, which also doubles up as a washing up bowl / hand-wash for raw meat fingers !

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Another vote for a big plastic storage box with a a lift off lid you can use as a tray for taking the brews around on. The hinged two flaps that meet in the middle and lock sort are no use.

ATB

Tom

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
When I'm canoe camping I take one of these fishing tackle boxes http://www.spottydogtackle.com/contents/en-uk/p1521.html

It triples up as a wanigan, seat or a table.

For car camping I've got a nice old wooden chest that carries my stuff in the car boot and then makes a lovely rustic campsite table.

For walk in camping I eat straight out of the pan so a table would be a little superfluous.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for your thoughts. Im working on the basis that once the car is unloaded and back at the car park, it will not be available to me for day to day storage. I get a bit of jip from my back so having something off the ground is desirable. Ive been thinking about a new cool box so perhaps one of those coleman extreme ones will double as a table too. Just wish they came in a less loud colour.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Good enough for Ray to use one, good enough for me.

Depends on what we are doing,

For full on Sunday Roasts:

roastlambdinnersunday16.jpg

Group Breakfasts:

dsc04298l.jpg

Solo camping:

mysetup5.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Decorum said :D

On the table thing.........it depends.......how many folks are likely to be there ? there's only so many times folks trip over stuff (food) lying about before they think a table's a good idea :)
If I'm cooking for a lot I use one like your fold up Tesco one, and in my own tent the little one that's shown in another post is awfully handy, especially for lifting a stove off the ground.

I do have a very posh one, given as a present :), that has adjustable legs, folds in half like a suitcase for carrying and when it's up has a net shelf/catchall that's really handy for fruit and veg. I'm inclined to keep it for when there's just a couple of us in the tent

If I have to carry any of them any distance though, forget it. I'll make do with leaves. If I'm there to chill out in the company, with cars nearby, take a table ....just like we take chairs sometimes too.

cheers,
Toddy

Cross posted with Southey......oh I like that one :D I can see lots of folks having a go at building that :D

cheers,
M

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I either use the cases that i keep food and cooking equipment in or am aluminuium table, it packs down reasonably small and stows nicely in the car, it makes food prep so easy to do, if im on foot i tend not to bother.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
This is my preferred set up.

Living-room-collections-2.jpg
you must just be one of the growing crowed of arm chair bushcrafters :).

BareThrills i would agree use what you got if you had permission to build a permanent bushcraft style table sure but to cut trees down just for a weekend is a waist of good trees.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Dat's der bunny! Use what you've got.

As far a Meets go, the 'Will I / my kit fit in?' is quite a common concern for first timers. In all honesty, as long as you're happy and safe, we really don't care what you wear or use :D

Wot he said - use whatever you have got that does the job - even if you subsequently think you should have bought something else - we've all been in that position!!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks all. My mind is now at ease and i will bring my shiney alu table along. Just need to go and dig out my pink shell suit now and ill be all set :D

Just make sure you give it a really good polish first, and better make sure that the pink is just the right shade to blend in at sunset and sunrise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE