Day Jobs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer, working mainly on laboratory automation equipment and systems. For the last couple of years I've been doing a lot of hands-on instrument assembly and prototype manufacture. At the end of the month I change jobs and go back to mainly being a CAD driver.

I try to work to live, not live to work wherever possible.

Dave

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The day job is being a GP. The closest I get to bushcraft is thinking about how I could turn a medical syringe into a fire piston. I do have a flint arrow head on my desk (why?). Oh yes, this computer is on my desk so I can drop into bushcraft at occ. moments in the day.

Away from work there is family, garden, allotment to support/ maintain and there is also an active social life. Bushcraft infiltrates these areas of my life a little more and I am frequently found down the shed practicing atlatl throwing, rubbing wood together, sowing woad seeds, "Why did you plant those ugly mullein plants in the vegetable patch?" teaching youngsters how to light fires, being told to take muddy shoes off, taking the neice down to the local woods, having a knot tying guide for bedtime reading, researching a plant on the internet................................

Just occasionally I really get away to a bushcraft meetup.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have no idea what I do... something in IT for an investment management company... the money is pretty good and it's nothing close to bushcraft... i'm glad about that because I don't want my hobbies and interests to ever become a chore.

Bushcraft is about 19% of my leisure interest so I don't know why I would select it as a career anyway.

I don't particularly like my job but that's nice because I appreciate all the time doing other things even more. If I enjoy my job too much there's always the risk I'll exclude other things and ruin any kind of balance in my life.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
I don't particularly like my job but that's nice because I appreciate all the time doing other things even more. If I enjoy my job too much there's always the risk I'll exclude other things and ruin any kind of balance in my life.

Have to love that sentance bud!

Thanks guys, we really do have a wide and varied collection - all comments are food for thought
thanks again

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'm a research nurse for Cancer Research:UK. Meet great people, work with great people.
Always been a nurse, don't work shift now, but have semi-flexible hours, which is more sociable, weekends off etc.

The hospital grounds are old and have a large variety of trees and plant life....

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Environmental Health doing environmental protection - mostly statutory nusciance, drainage issues and the like. Outside as much as I want but the area varies between inner city Keighley & Bradford to the big posh house in Ilkely and in the Pennines.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm a Jetty Operations - Process Operator / Cargo Loadmaster.
I oversee the cargo loading / discharge of petroleum products on and off ships, to and from an oil refinery.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I'm a research nurse for Cancer Research:UK. Meet great people, work with great people.
Always been a nurse, don't work shift now, but have semi-flexible hours, which is more sociable, weekends off etc.

The hospital grounds are old and have a large variety of trees and plant life....

Now thats a worth while job:You_Rock_

Me................Im a contracts manager for a construction company.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
IT here also :(

Currently sat on the floor in a bog sized cupboard listening to the roar of 3 noisy bloody servers whilst frequesntly cursing and spitting at them. That and the fact that the past 3 jobs i have been promised the earth, got nothing and no reasons given besides "did i say that ? you must have the wrong end of the stick" Theres never any petty cash to cover my fuel costs and my 10% share in the company i recently found out to be a complete farce plus lie after lie with promise after promise. Depressing.

Besides that i cant stand it but it pays the bills and i have too many of them to down size and get a job i actually dont mind doing. Thats life i guess :( roll on the weekend.......

I've had enough of the rat race and I'm altering my direction to do something I enjoy more than anything in the world - hopefully! :eek:

Life's too short to get bogged down with all the things that matter not in the end.

Get out there and enjoy life before it's too late and look at all the things that you think are important to you (material items don't count). Refocus and move forward on a new path is my advice. We're only here once and a long time dead :eek:

Phil.

Surveyor

Sep 28, 2005
London
Part time Land Surveyor, full time Hydrographic Surveyor.

Mostly doing seabed surveys and construction. Working with Divers and ROV when doing construction, plus all manner of towed and fitted equipment with seabed surveys.

Plenty of computing to monitor, and lots of interfacing of analogue and digital kit in to some coherent result!

7 day weeks for up to months at a time. However, all time is my own (with the Wife's permission) when back home!
Right now, offshore Angola half way through a two month stint.

Jed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE