Day Jobs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
Just curious/ Nosey what sort of dayjobs you all have? finding the work life balance thing abit awkward right now ( onset of mid life crisis) was just wondering how far away from peoples chosen love of bushcraft are the day jobs that we all have - does that make sense?

Im in sales and have been for the last 11 years since coming out of the forces but i dont get the buzz anymore - looking for a career change but not easy with a young family

anyone else?

Andy

I am a technology/internet project manager working at Canada's largest private television broadcasting company. I work to get broadcast television shows and events onto the internet (streaming media), among other things. Lots of fun.

Bushcraft and canoe camping is a way for me to get away from it all!

Cheers,

Mungo

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I take people for days out:)
Today was problem solving and climbing, tomorrow(not 100% sure) is the cinema, Wednesday bushcraft and canoeing, got to check for rest of the week!
Better than working for a living.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I fly around rich people (boring), important people (less boring) and anyone else who wants to go flying (great). Having the same problem myself though. I can't get out much in the evenings because I don't want to be tired the following day. Hours are sometimes long and usually odd... I hoped to get to the Bushmoot this year but worked the entire period.
My cunning plan is to transfer to the air ambulance at some point. Stable hours plus a far more rewarding job

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am: a canoe coach/outdoor skills instructor; expedition leader: author of walking and cycling guide book to Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire: author of DIY clothing and equipment making booklets: a gear reviewer for (currently) four outdoor oriented magazines; a "hobbyist" knife maker and leather worker; and I also do a bit of relief support work for Mencap. I do not do holidays. I have not earned enough in the past untold years to have to pay income tax. I am not as fit as I should be. I have no debts, no morgage, no kids and very low overheads.
I have a very understanding wife. My wife owns our house. My wife has a real job. My wife is a gem!:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'm a freelance Viking..........

eastern_viking.jpg

Rod

On a new journey
I was made redundant from my previous life as a website manager 4 months ago. :D My wife didn't panic she just said "get a job, any job". So now I work in a cafe in our local FC woodland where I wash dishes & serve tea & cake and watch the world go by. I also do some instructing at weekends for an outdoor school. And, I did start my own web design business for the rainy days.

All sounds busy, but it's pretty cool actually :cool:

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I work in IT. This consists of getting paid money to tell people their outsourcing partners are totally useless and it will take me 3 weeks to fix it all :)

Sometimes my day looks like this:

x09012007074.jpg

Most of the time I work from home. It does get very soul-destroying, esp. working in finance sector's.. I still refuse to have any bank accounts in any of the financial places I have worked (over a dozen high-street names!!)

I have to live for the weekend - there is no escape from the office!!!!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I'm a senior software developer making software for posh schools. Mostly Payroll and reporting stuff. I'm quoting dave k here as it sums up the whole of my working day:

I have to live for the weekend - there is no escape from the office!!!!

Just biding time really - me and SWMBO are making plans for 2 or 3 years travelling the world. After that - who knows.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Another slave to the office here. Well Mon-Fri 9-5 anyway. :D

Internet technologies support (Internet gateways, firewalls, proxy servers etc etc) for an IT outsourcing company.

Thankfully I work in a relatively relaxed office next to a few hundred acres of woodland and lakes. :D So get plenty of time at lunch to get a breath of fresh air.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
ooh scary, :eek: If that Sun box is in the UK it was probably built 100m from where I'm sitting! I'm a Systems Engineer which means I try and figure out how a bunch of computer bits should/will/wont work together. My day usually looks like this;
k3_hpccluster_5.jpg

I work in a cube, go for a walk round the campus at lunchtime looking at the trees and eating the cherrys (which are about all done) and look forward to the evenings and weekends. God bless long scottish evenings!

Jobs always seem to be a trade off between what you want to do and how much someone will pay you to do it. Ideal job right now would be a highly paid equipment reviewer and bushcraft course tester. One can but dream!!

Cheers,

Alan

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
ooh scary, :eek: If that Sun box is in the UK it was probably built 100m from where I'm sitting! I'm a Systems Engineer which means I try and figure out how a bunch of computer bits should/will/wont work together. My day usually looks like this

I work in a cube, go for a walk round the campus at lunchtime looking at the trees and eating the cherrys (which are about all done) and look forward to the evenings and weekends. God bless long scottish evenings!

Jobs always seem to be a trade off between what you want to do and how much someone will pay you to do it. Ideal job right now would be a highly paid equipment reviewer and bushcraft course tester. One can but dream!!

Cheers,

Alan

Yeah - it's a UK box. I intsall and run them for banks and the like. You based at linlithgow?

I used to work for Sun PS a while at Chase in Bournemouth.
I'm a contractor, but one of the few places where I would consider being permie would be at Sun.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
My wife is the main bread winner, so to speak, she has the sensible job.

I left the army and went thru a string of degree's at universities ending up doing a PhD in AI linked with GIS which I gave up when the daughter was born and became a house husband. We bought a house that needed doing up so in between playing Mr. Dad I did up the house (badly). We decided that it was a reasonable way of moving up the property ladder so I am now on the 5th one having qualified as a corgi registered plumber and having done short brick laying and plastering courses.

I'm actually quite good at doing houses now, but I need a change and I am looking at starting a window cleaning business which will still give me flexible freetime. I have to do my bits during the week because weekends are for the family.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I'm just a storeman for a pharmaceutical company, no responsibility apart from making sure the insulin isn't out of date, i do my work which isn't hard and then i go home and forget all about it til the next day.

Work to live don't live to work.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I'm also in IT - I'm a Business Systems Analyst so I get to do lots of talking and dealing with generally good people at the moment. Yes, it's 9-5 and could be more stimulating at times, but prior to this I had decided to leave the office for good and get out of IT to do some 'proper hard work'. Once the novelty of tools and metal and getting tired and dirty wore off, it became a real grind and much harder to get motivated after than after a day in the office. And the money was rubbish.

I now realise how lucky I am to be doing a job I enjoy, and whilst not outdoors, it helps lighten the load outside of work and I still get a good balance.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
I am a tree surveyor.

i wonder about woodlands all day examining trees for health and condition. But one or two days a week i have to do a bit of report writing too.

It means I get to wonder about a lot of places that the public would never be allowed.

Nice...

Cheers

Andy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE