Cold Steel passaround

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Grand, what do you think of them ?

I have been using mine in the kitchen and what i considered my least favourite (the canadian) is turning out to be probably the handiest of the three,

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
They've gone on to Goose.

Liked the top one (Canadian) much more than I thought I would, middle(Roach) was OK

Really wasn't fond of the bottom one(Bear).

I'll put some more in tomorrow.

Richard

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Aye, that's pretty much as i found them, opposite to how i imagined i would like them.
Im using the Canadian pretty much every day in the kitchen and reach for it over the other's every time.
Mine are kept in the cutlery drawer unsheathed and the edges are lasting very well.
SWMBO hates them which is great, she sticks to her rubbish (blunt) kitchen devils and her galss chopping board :rolleyes: which leaves these for me so they stay sharp.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Sorry for being slow on this one all.

I intend to get some pictures uploaded over the weekend

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I got them a couple of days ago thanks, I am passing on to Spam, at the meet next weekend if thats OK?
I have had a quick play with them, will give them a proper trial this week hopefully.
I like the roach belly shape the best up to now, except the tip is very thin and fragile(looks like it has been bent already?) Can't get on with the canadian, the angle of the blade and handle feels strange. The Finn bear is ok except for the handle.
The quality of the knives is a bit suspect, I tried them on a firesteel(useless) and the firesteel seems to be harder than the back of the blades, it has left scratches and didn't spark. Only place I could get a spark from was the thumb ridges.
Although these knives are probably worth the price, they are a no where near the quality of a mora. I may try another roach belly shape knife, as I found the shape good to work with but I will put them through the paces a bit more this week and may change my mind!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
They won't work with a firesteel as the spines are too rounded, bit of a rub on a stone to square the edge and they should work fine.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Cold Steel farms all of their work out. The best of their knives were made by Camillus before that company went under. Those blades were 'Carbon-V' aka 0170-6C tool steel.

Many of the newer carbon steel blades are made in Asia out of SK-5, which an Asian version of 1080, which is what lawnmower blades are commonly made of. You guys might want to try a pass-around of a cold steel Bushman.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have a few Cold Steels in Carbon V , hopefully this passaround will go well and we will be able to offer some more exciting goodies in the future, the CarbonV knives are nice maybe a master hunter would be of interest for a passaround ?

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
s.o.r.r.y. for the delay in this review!

But it is here at last so here we go!

First of all a quick comparison of the general details of the knifes

From top to bottom; Fin Bear, Roach Belly, Canadian Belt

DSC_0369.jpg

Comparison shot

All of the knives where reasonably sharp out of the box (I did not sharpen them during this review)

The Fin Bear has a Scandi look about the blade though the grind is slightly concave with a secondary bevel (As all of these blades did). The blade is nicely tapered to the point and looks robust. The handle is a rubber coated teardrop type shape with ridges around it. I found it uncomfortable for extended use but very stable in wet conditions.

The Roach Belly has a rounded edge and straight back, the blade is this and tapers to a very fine point (The point was slightly bent when it arrived with me) I would imagine this could be a problem with battening etc. the handle is of plastic with a "Wood Grain" finish, thin towards the blade and fattening out to the butt, this was comfortable and good in the wet, however my personal preference is for a fatter section towards the blade.

The Canadian Belt has a curved blade both top and bottom with a strong point. The handle is a rough plastic (Again good in the wet) and is a unique curved shape witch is surprisingly comfortable to use, though a little small for my liking, making you grip harder thus tiring faster.

DSC_0370.jpg

Handle shape (L to R; Roach Belly, Fin Bear, Canadian)

DSC_0306.jpg

Tip Profile (T to B; Roach Belly, Canadian, Fin Bear

For food preparation tasks all of the knives performed well with the "Thin" (Compared to a Woody) blades slicing most foodstuffs easily

DSC_0308.jpg

The roach belly was particularly good on gutting and cleaning fish

F03.jpg

And the long profile made it good for prepping birds

DSC_0256.jpg

But for a simpler more mundane task like buttering bread the gentle curve and raised handle saw the Canadian on top

DSC_0315.jpg

For wood work all of the blades where able to feather a stick. (In this case seasoned hazel)

DSC_0366.jpg

Fin Bear

DSC_0359.jpg

Roach Belly

DSC_0353.jpg

Canadian

I did not baton with any of these knives, as I would hate to break one, however I own a Canadian and have buttoned with it, the blade is to thin to be effective but it does stand up to the punishment

Also as stated non of these knives will spark well on the spine as the profile is to rounded, again I have flattened the spine on my Canadian and it sparks like any other knife

It is also worthy of note that the Fin Bear is the only blade without serrations on the back of the blade this made this blade the comfiest to work with of close work where the blade is gripped

To summarise.

The roach belly is a good "Cooking knife" due to its very thin blade profile. The handle is comfy and good in the wet, though due to its thin blade I would not like to use it for hard outdoor work.

The Fin Bear is a good solid knife with a nice profile, it performed well in all the tasks but the handle was a little uncomfortable, To make it better it would need a more conventional handle shape and material and also need a scandi grind (Or you could just turn it into a mora)

The Canadian faired well in all of the tasks though the small handle did increase had fatigue a little. If it did not have the serrations in the "Thumb" area of the blade it would be better, though that said it would be my choice of the three.....

Would I/Do I use it as an alternative to the Mora......................................................................................No

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Looks like Goose has them now, please pass them to Graham_S (PM him for his details).

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I still havent heard from Goose about these ?
PM'ed him 28th September :(

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've not got them. I got a PM from goose about them on the 4th, (although I wasn't aware i was in the passaround)
they may be stuck in the mail somewhere.
Goose has my address so if they turn up, i'll review, sharpen, and pass on to the next person.

I should be getting a cold steel braveheart from ebay soon too, I'm looking forward to getting it.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I still havent heard from Goose about these ?
PM'ed him 28th September :(

I did PM you back almost straight away, checking on who to send them to. I have got Grahams address now but thought they where to be sent to spam? I have held on this week because of the postal strike, before that was just disorganisation:eek: . Will get then sent this week, but who to?????

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Just thought I'd add the postal strike doesn't seem to have effected parcel force, something turned up delivered from them yesterday.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE