Bushcraft Betty as a 3D figurine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Betty's Boob job stage 1...
DSCF6481.jpg

DSCF6479.jpg

you might also just make out the putty for making her fringe...
When the putty has hardened I will sand it to give a better shape (!) then add some fabric creases :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi biker nice figurines i see you have the clan of the cave bear I've just got all the books so i can have a good read regards dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - the modelling is done!
I decided not to give her a day bag - so I can fit her into the original packaging (hopefully!) to bring her to the Moot.
After the modelling was done Betty had a coat of Matt White enamel paint as a base coat ... which showed up some imperfections, so it was back to sanding for a while!
Then came the painting and - boy oh boy have my eyes and my brush skills got poorer in the years since I played this game last!
I started with her shorts and had to do them twice as I was far from happy with the first attempt, then came the T-shirt and gear and then her well polished but newly muddy boots - note the paracord laces!
Poor photos as my camera is dying on me!
DSCF6484.jpg

DSCF6485.jpg

If I get brave enough the shirt will gain the BcUK logo, making it a real bushcraft shirt as sold by Tony :)
I start painting her flesh tomorrow :)

You are a very patient bloke John, I would have been at the point of despair by now. I remember as a kid doing airfix plane kits and getting bored of painting all the bits before assembly and just spraying the finished plane with anything my dad had left lying around in the garage. I don't believe spitfires came in Renault 6 pink.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Actually - I am having great fun with this :)
Figurine modelling was my main hobby (other than the outdoors) for many years (and for a while my only source of income) but I lost touch with it when other interests became more to the fore (canoeing, writing, clothing making, working) and all the bits went up into the loft...
Today - and most of the past month or two - has been dreary wet so not conducive to getting out and about - so I have had loads of time to play :)
OK - I have also made a few knives and spoons for sale but when I have had stoppages on the knife making (ie waiting for glue to set or patination to occur I have played with Betty, and while putty or paint has needed drying on Betty, I have wirked on the knives and spoons :) or watched Time Team :D
I may even get back into model making....
After I have made my Winter Trousers (from a Merino Blanket), finished off the blades I have to handle, earned some more dosh ... hmmm - might be a while again!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey John, she's looking VERY good matey. Most envious of your model making skills. (not to be confused with your modelling skills which can be seen in another thread)

So know what you mean about the painting skills getting rusty. I was appalled at how her face turned in my paltry effort, this is coming from someone who could paint the sergeant's stripes on a 1/35 scale US soldier and make it look good. Not sure if it's the nad to eye coordination or just lack of practice. Anyway great work there John.

:notworthy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey John, she's looking VERY good matey. Most envious of your model making skills. (not to be confused with your modelling skills which can be seen in another thread)

So know what you mean about the painting skills getting rusty. I was appalled at how her face turned in my paltry effort, this is coming from someone who could paint the sergeant's stripes on a 1/35 scale US soldier and make it look good. Not sure if it's the nad to eye coordination or just lack of practice. Anyway great work there John.

:notworthy

"nad to eye"?:lmao:

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
That's a fiiiine typo, it needed leaving for posterity ;) Super work, John, I agree with you about her shorts, those pockets look much more natural now :) and starting again at a base coat will allow much more bettyesque features than the base model, her eyes were not biker-stylee enough :)

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looking superb John, I think she will be a real prize on the Moot ^^
And you can see that you used to do it for a living damn that is some skill you got there, what scale is betty by the way?
Yours sincerely Ruud

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Betty is about 1/12th scale - a size I have not worked in before and one that I do not think I will try again as my usual techniques do not work that well and I am struggling to get the results she deserves!
Today I hope to get the painting finished :)
Looking superb John, I think she will be a real prize on the Moot ^^
And you can see that you used to do it for a living damn that is some skill you got there, what scale is betty by the way?
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE