Bushcraft Betty as a 3D figurine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Until you mentioned it I hadn't even noticed there were books on the shelf let alone who wrote them... :rolleyes::lmao::lmao:

My cunning plan worked poyfectly.

Harvestman. 3D animation? Hmmmm I know a few people that could probably take that little project on. At least a short cartoony movie clip. We'll see.

JAG009. Thanks mate, you being a carpenter makes your feedback even more appreciated. The whole thing's made out of softwood so working it wasn't too difficult but getting the right proportions was. Luckily I had access to a 11 year old boy - My nephew. So I had my brother measure him extensively at cardinal points and I replicated those onto a diagram which is what I used as the scale plan for Knothead.

dave53. Clan of the cave bear. Sorry that book's nt mine. I read it then gave it back to my (soon to be ex) partner However if you hit enough charity shops you can always find a copy of it. It's always see a copy on the shelves when I'm in the UK. Failing that, there's always ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Books-Comics-Magazines-/267/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=clan%20of%20the%20cave%20bear&_sop=15

RonW - Got pix of what you made? I'd love to see 'em. It's still very much a DIY project. I did find that my eye wasn't as sharp nor my hand quite as steady as I remembered, but I put it down to being out of practice holding a paint brush rather than early senility.

Shambling Shamen - Yeah I could be a producer of that film. I'd even pay to go to the cinema to see it :lmao:

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
So I guess there's no chance of a life sized AND squishy version???

nothing wrong with extra lung capacity.

Biker

So I guess there's no chance of a life sized AND squishy version???

nothing wrong with extra lung capacity.

Sorry, not this side of christmas. Unless I find myself a living breathing Betty clone and nab her before anyone else does. Slim chance I know, but I live in hope.

Lung capacity doubles as natural bouyancy aids. Call it a win/win scenario. :naughty:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to make 54mm scale models of soldiers of all periods - I used to sell my excess to a shop in StAlbans - most were conversions from Airfix or Historex kits (I never did make up a straight model from the kit....)
I used an awful lot of Milliput in the conversions and found the white porcelain the best.
I never realy got on with bigger figures - but I am learning to love them
Jun14992.jpg

Jun14993.jpg

Jun14995.jpg

Jun14996.jpg

Jun14998.jpg
Actionman size...
Jun14997.jpg
this head is smaller than my little finger nail...

Biker

I used to make 54mm scale models of soldiers of all periods - I used to sell my excess to a shop in StAlbans - most were conversions from Airfix or Historex kits (I never did make up a straight model from the kit....)
I used an awful lot of Milliput in the conversions and found the white porcelain the best.
I never realy got on with bigger figures - but I am learning to love them
Jun14992.jpg

Jun14993.jpg

That paintwork is seriously impressive! As Dreadhead often says "They're braw!"

I used to make and paint Tamiya kits as a kid but neever to that degree of detail you've got there and ALWAYS how the kit instructions showed them to be made. I wish I had the nerve to cutomise them like you did. nic work John.

Laughed out loud at HillBill's reply about the blow up Betty, just gald I wasn't sipping coffe at the time. :lmao:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Here's a Patton in the Ardennes figure I once did. The thick jacket is made from milliput. Scale is 1/24.
10patton02.jpg

And some German soldiers in 1/35, my preferred scale;
C1Zundapp1.jpg

A 120mm WW1 British sniper. Stockfigure with a scratchbuilt trench. It never got passed this stage...
02totaal.jpg

A 120mm US sniper experiment using real threads;
M4100001-3.jpg

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
She's loooovvvvely, Biker! We should have a 'Whittle a Betty'' competition on here, just imagine the amount of time John would put in, it'd keep him outta trouble for years ;)

I wonder how much a small run would be to injection mould....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - that bad boy "Biker" called my bluff and sent me a copy of the base figure (as used in his transformation) and said (effectively) "OK big mouth - lets see what you can do!"
I spent a small fortune on Milliput and paint, fossicked around in the loft to find my old modelling tools etc and eventually built up the courage to start the transformation....
Now - it is a long time since I did any figurine modelling (clothing modelling is a different thing altogether!) and my eyesight has (for various reasons) faded since then and finally getting my hands on Betty (!) made my hands tremble a bit .. but I promissed stage by stage photos so here we are...
At this stage I have given her one boot and no socks (will she get more footwear? - I am not sure yet) added a belt to her waist and started remodelling her shorts to ones with a fly front and rear (and what a rear!) pockets...
I have started low on the figure so that hopefully my skills at modelling and sculpture will have been relearned by the time I get to Betty's salient points...
The bits done so far are at the first modelling stage and once the putty has hardened I will work into it with files, sandpaper, scalpel and a liquid polystyrene made from styrene melted in modelling solvent (liquid cement as it is called) to get crisp detail and a smooth finish.
I am praying that I do not screw it all up...
general view of stage one and tools
DSCF6464-1.jpg

Boot
DSCF6467-1.jpg

Shorts
DSCF6466-1.jpg

Belt
DSCF6468.jpg

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
John, she's looking brilliant! The detail on the boots and belt is sooooo Bettyesque :) Pride of place on your mantelpiece for her after she comes back from modelling for the lifesized latex jobbie then ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE