Bushcraft Betty as a 3D figurine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - she is done! (if you will pardon the expression...)
I had lots of fun - but by cracky, my skills have eroded over the years of not doing any modelling!
Also - I found that a lot of the techniques I used for 1/32 scale do not realy work all that well in 1/12 - especially when it comes to the painting...
I have struggled somewhat and have not achieved as good a result as I would have wanted - but I think if I play anymore I will just spoil what I have done so far..
So - she is done :)
I am not sure if I have capturd the essential Betty..
The title is "BB's Top Tips - don't lose vital kit!"
DSCF6490.jpg

DSCF6491.jpg

DSCF6492.jpg

DSCF6493.jpg

DSCF6494.jpg

DSCF6495.jpg

DSCF6496.jpg

DSCF6497.jpg

DSCF6498.jpg

DSCF6500.jpg

DSCF6499.jpg

DSCF6501.jpg

DSCF6486.jpg

sorry about the poor photos - but my camera struggles with this scale too!
This is not the largest modelling I have ever done - 1/1 portrait head of an actor in "A Tomb with a view" where one character was decapitated and the head produced on stage... a comedy! This was for The Attic Players, Newcastle Emlyn in West Wales ... he is now modelling (in the other meaning of the word...) some costume I am gathering for our forthcoming production of "Allo, Allo" - the background is part of my "Trophy Wall" of exped souvenirs...
DSCF6503.jpg

DSCF6502.jpg

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Now the challenge is for Biker to draw this one :)

Oh pul-leeze. Gimme a challenge why don't you?

Really well done on that figurine John, she looks superb. I shall look forward to putting her on the shelf beside the other one. Many thanks!

(Insert sound of John Fenna falling off his chair in shock)

The painting detail on the list of B's Mesquite mentioned is highly detailed. I just toshed paint over mine and let the natural shadows show off the details. No rucksack then?

So you'll be bringing her along to The Moot for me to collect then, yes?

(Insert sound of John Fenna gnashing teeth)

I've saved this series of images to my PC as examples of how to do things like this properly. Well done again.

Just finished another Betty drawing tonight which is not a million miles for this theme of your figurine John. It was inspired by a PM Cowboy sent me a while ago. I'll post it at the weekend in the Betty Thread.

Right going back to look at the images once more. goodjob

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Nice one, John!
The larger the scale the harder it gets, because details become much more visible. I had that problem everytime I switched from 1/35 to a larger scale, just to have a change of pass.

As for the skills, they do get rusty very fast. On the bright side, after a few models you'll quickly pick them up again. Allthough getting older is not making it any easier. The eyesight gets a bit bad, the hands a bit shaky, but the patience is increased!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Patience?!
I dont have time to be patient!
If at first you dont succeed - bin the project and get on with something else!

Having said that .... I have been looking at some 1/12 scale figures and thinking how I could convert them to Bushcrafty figurines ... when I have some dosh to buy the kits... I will not even contemplate scratch building ... yet... hand carved 1/12 wooden figures of popular bushcrafting characters.... hmmm.....
No - I have not got Time ...
:)

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
And much to my surprise.....there she was.... Another Betty 2 Be in my mailbox.

Thanks a lot Biker!

Hopefully my skills aren't to rusty and will I be able to surprise you all with a little idea I have.... More to come!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And much to my surprise.....there she was.... Another Betty 2 Be in my mailbox.

Thanks a lot Biker!

Hopefully my skills aren't to rusty and will I be able to surprise you all with a little idea I have.... More to come!
I am realy looking forward to seeing your efforts - I saw Bikers model at the Moot :)
Betty meets Betty
DSCF6674.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE