Bushcraft & Ancient Technology Fair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
I thought this may be of interest to some of the members here,

10th anniversary celebrations at the Crannog at Loch Tay, 19 - 22 July

Wild food & prehistoric cooking, ancient technology fair and wilderness skills.

http://www.crannog.co.uk/

If any of you folks manage to get along to one of the days, I'll be participating, so pop by and say hello.

Patrick

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Why is it that there is always a direct association between how much you would like to go somewhere, and how little you've got in the bank account.

Seriously though, I reckon that would be a great day out. I went to the crannog centre when I was at Uni as part of an Archaeology field trip. Fascinating place, I wouldn't mind going back up again.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm going up to work too :D I'll be up there for three days if you want to come, Rob.
You could camp on the foreshore of the loch among the trees.
If you took Ian and Mark to volunteer as slave labour it'd just cost you diesel up and back then.
I'd volunteer to drive you all, but I'm taking up mountains of stuff and there wouldn't be room for three more in the car.
Basic Vik kit would be fine....now I've got to make a lightweight Bronze/Iron Age set for me :rolleyes: I was roasted in the woollen stuff when I was on Skye :eek: Oh and lightweight courrans are no good on the foreshore shingle :( needs heavier soles though inside the Crannog and on the timber walkway they're comfortable.
It's been so wet I can't get into the sheds long enough to sort out the stuffs I need to take with me :banghead: , I found a newt halfway up the door earlier this afternnoon :cool: they look kind of odd the wrong way up, cute though :D Confused the h3ll out of Tamsin
:lmao:

be well,
Mary

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
were it not for the lack of money adn the fact that I'm demonstrating down in devon for National Archaeoogy Week, I would love to go up there! :D

It's been on my list of places to visit for ages, but the distance makes it hard to find the time and money to get there sadly :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: Just realised that I posted instead of pm'd to Rob :rolleyes:

Dave we'd have loved to meet up, sit around the hearth and blether, watch you work....sometime it'll work out.

cheers,
mary

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
:eek: Just realised that I posted instead of pm'd to Rob :rolleyes:

Dave we'd have loved to meet up, sit around the hearth and blether, watch you work....sometime it'll work out.

cheers,
mary

All I can say to that is it's a good job you did. I don't know how to use the PM thingy (technical term that) Yet. July is a busy month for us and the Sister-in-law's birthday is on the 20th

Next time though........

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You've just beaten me to it :D
I'm so looking forward to this one, I'm very fond of the Crannog and I really like the people involved.

We have limited camping next to the site but if anyone is coming up to visit during the weekend we would love to meet you, sit and have a blether, bring a kuksa/mug and we'll even find the tea and coffee.

If you take the tour, always interesting, you'll find me and Patrick and the rest when you get back onshore......I'll be wearing medieval working clothes so don't expect bushcraft green :eek:

Thursday is a real foods day; venison, pheasant, fish....... and Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be Ancient technologies :cool:

Here's hoping the Weather gods are kind.

atb,
Toddy

Gailainne

Life Member
I didnt get up till today, but it was well worth it, it was great to meet Toddy, PatrickM and the rest, cheers to Graham for getting my hatband back to me :rolleyes: (gonna glue that sucker on).

The displays the guys had on were excellent, there was 3 different types of pole lathes, different methods of drilling holes, mostly in sandstone, there was a couple doing bronze casting, using cuttlefish bone for the molds, they had a finished helved bronze axe on the table which I'm sure Graham was just itching to get his hands on :D.

Toddy had a display of dyed wools, and the various plants, bark and berries the dyes came from. As we were talking she casually stripped and twisted cordage from some willow bark, lovely stuff. BTW lovely knife and sheath Leon :)

Patricks was the one I wanted to see though, his table was just full of things I want to know how to make, cordage from lime, nettle, bramble, horse hair, willow, and lots more. Spear heads in bone, wood, flint and metal, baskets from an amazing amount of different materials. Everwhere you looked there was something else you wanted to know more about. Patrick PM incoming about your courses mate.

As you may have noticed I quite enjoyed myself.

Stephen

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I was planning on going, but come Friday night, suddenly the prospect of a three-hour bus journey just to get to Aberfeldy, followed by the hike to the Crannog Centre, followed by a similar return journey the very next day, just didn't seem like a great idea... One thing led to another and come Saturday morning I was in no fit state anyway. ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It was excellent :D
Thank you all who came along and really made the weekend very special :You_Rock_
Lots of good company, fires, music and crafts. Venison, hare, pheasant, etc., (thanks Patrick:cool:) for the carnivores and masses of wild veggies thanks to Scott's exploits in the thunder storms :rolleyes: :notworthy:

Spent the evening around a fire in the Crannog with the heather cream passing among us, lots of good memories :bigsmile:

I make things constantly, I work with a wide range of crafts people and it is a delight to watch other folks working so competently and capably with natural materials; you all know who you are and I won't embarrass you by names, but thank you again, I did have a great jaunt. Much appreciated.
The folks up there had a great time too and we've been invited back :) :).....and they have some logs needing turned into log boats.....and the bronze founder is coming back to cast the axes for the experimental archaeology ones :cool:

Hope to see you all next time.

atb,
Mary

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
Me and the Sprog didn't manage to get up to the Crannog until Saturday afternoon due to a disorganised start to the day, but I'm so glad we made it. We had a fantastic time and it was really great putting faces to names. There were really good displays and I got the chance to cast my own bronze strap end and my son (17) got to cast a little bronze knife blade that we're going to have a go at putting a handle on.:D I'm looking forward to seeing some of the other folks pictures, because the few that I stopped playing and wandering about long enough to take didn't come out very well.:(

Also broke the habit of a lifetime and voluteered for something, to go up and help out when they get around to the dug out canoe project.

A big thankyou to everyone involved and to the crannog staff for letting us share they're playground for a while. If it comes around again I'll be there.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Are there dates for the next event? The log boats sounds like a very interesting project to be involved in..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE