Ancient Technology Fair at the Crannog 18-19 July

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
Thought this may be of interest to members, it's the annual Go Native Ancient Technology Fair at the Crannong centre at Loch Tay, Kenmore, Perthshire:

Sat-Sunday, 18th-19th July 2009: Go Native! Ancient Technology Fair
Hands on the Past! Demonstrations and workshops of ancient skills including cordage, hide-tanning, wood-working, metal-working, fibre-working and more!
Crafts and replicas for sale. Meet Wilderness Skills instructors. 11-5pm

It's a really interesting event with lots to see and do, plus you get the chance to see round the beautiful crannog reconstruction which is amazing!

PatrickM from Backwoods will be there demonstrating hide tanning/preparation plus craftwork, Eric_Methven is likely to be there demonstrating leatherwork
and Toddy is normally there demonstrating natural dyeing techniques (will you be there this year Mary?) Is anyone else planning to be there?

Here's a link to the Crannog website:

http://www.crannog.co.uk/docs/crannog_centre/events_diary_summer.html

crannog007.jpg

crannog023.jpg

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Shona,i was going to try and make it but unfortunately i'm going to be working over the border,so not even a chance to pop up for a visit :( Bleeding work always scuppers my plans :rant:

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, I'm working this one too :D

Looking forward to it; there's always a good range of crafts and show and tell stuff around :cool:

Might need to borrow your kids to help keep the fires going :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Saturday and Sunday, 18th and 19th July, 2009
http://www.crannog.co.uk/docs/crannog_centre/events_diary_summer.html#july

Go Native ! Ancient Technology Fair.

I spoke with Barrie a little while ago........anyone up for helping do some axe work on the two log boats that have been chainsawed out of the huge trees ??
They need kind of rounded out and the chainsaw marks removed.

Camping available at Dalherb, with running water, loo and shower.

It'd need to be behind the scenes on the Crannog site unless you can put together some kind of Iron Age kit.

Limited numbers this time folks, maybe about eight ?

Anybody interested ??

I'll copy this post into Scotland North too,

cheers,
Toddy

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Toddy
I would be up for giving it a try been told I'm a bit of a wood butcher whein it comes to diy.
Never tried digging out a log boat .
Bob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
Oh it's right up there with fire by friction for the serious bushcrafter :rolleyes: ;)

Never done one myself either tbh, but well, you've got to take the opportunity when it presents sometimes :D

You'll be very welcome. can you camp over or would you just come for the day ?

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Toddy
I would be up for giving it a try been told I'm a bit of a wood butcher whein it comes to diy.
Never tried digging out a log boat .
Bob

I can vouch for the wood butcher, would like to come too if that's ok, can I bring my pup though? if not will have to arrange someone to look after him.

Goatboy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It'll be good to see you both :D

There's a No Dogs policy on the Crannog site; Patrick's big black lab, Finn, had to be kept tied up in the background area last time. That's where we're going to be working on the canoes.
It's a public liability insurance issue apparantly; the rates skyrocket if dogs are on site.
At the camping site there would be no problem but it's over the other side of the loch (about 5mins drive away). The heat in the cars would probably make it incredibly uncomfortable for your pup to stay there through the day too :sigh:
I think this one is up to you, but I think if you can find someone to watch him, it might be for the best.

I always think it a shame when we can't have the dogs around. kind of denies all of us, but I can see both sides of this. It's a public site, not everyone is happy about dogs near them or their children, public liability is an expensive issue.......sorry.

Oh, and Barrie says the midgies are really bad this year........I hope the patches work, I really, really, really hope the patches work.........but I'm bringing masses of bog myrtle for smoke just in case :)
cheers,
Toddy

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I can see GB having to talk nice to his neibhour as puppy comes first.LOL
Well this is going to be a nice end to a weeks hols for me. Open fire's ok on the campsite?
bob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
NW's about the pup Toddy, I understand, Snoop used to come to work at the shop with me but rules are rules. Will speak nicely to my neighbours
Goatboy.

Gailainne

Life Member
I think I can spare some time for this :D its about time I got my Cegga dirty :rolleyes:

I should be able to pop up on the Friday afternoon till the Sunday, if that's ok, and no worries helping out setting stuff up etc.

I may bring some various coloured linen and wool along :eek: still nicely folded from when I (Warthog) bought them :eek: :rolleyes:, does that constitute "Iron Age" stuff ?

I'm presuming Patrick will be there ? it will be good seeing Him, Shona and the kids.

That's a bugger Stuart, it would have been good to meet up again, haven't touched base since the Burns weekend :cool:

Cheers

Stephen

Gailainne

Life Member
I can see GB having to talk nice to his neibhour as puppy comes first.LOL
Well this is going to be a nice end to a weeks hols for me. Open fire's ok on the campsite?
bob

Unfortunately, some anglers had made a right mess of the area last time we were there, (fire rings and debris) I expect no different this time, I'll be bringing extra black bags, to help clear up the mess. We had a fire on the beach last time, time before Patrick had a huge wok affair, under his parachute that worked nicely as a fire, emm thing :p made great jerky anyroads.

If you can bring some firewood, I normally get a bag (or 2) of hard wood logs at the petrol station.
Although, the canoes are seasoned Oak :D, Oak chips Hmmmm :cool: anyone bringing venison ? or some locally caught trout perhaps :naughty:

Stephen

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've sure Belzeebob and I can rustle up some bags of firewood, also have a huge frypan about two foot across that can be used for group cooking or as a fire base. Can also bring three tripods between us and Belzeebobs now famous fire trivet. Plus at least two LARGE kettles and a humongus pot. Are we bringing our own food or is there going to be a group meal made, let us know?
Goatboy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only if you want to hang out all day on the Crannog public site. If you're happy just to visit that bit and then work outside that area, in the compound, then no.

How about we think of having a communal meal on the Saturday night ?

The centre closes to the public at 5 ish, shall I ask about cooking on the site ? I'll have a fire going anyway for the dyebaths and the bread ovens could be heated up pretty quickly if I've got them warmed through the day.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE