Bison Bushcraft Boot or any other thin-soled walking boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I bought those boots two years ago and the sole separated in the first month or so. I emailed Roger and he suggested I get local repair and send him the bill. That is just what we did. No more issue since then.

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Hi Graham

And here is your email to us
Hi,

I purchased a pair of boots from you in August last year. I have been very pleased with them, and they are very comfortable. However, on the left boot, the two rubber layers of the sole have started to come apart at the toe.

Please can you let me know what I need to do to return them for repair or replacement.

Regards
Graham ++++++

I've just searched back through our records and see that you bought your size 9 boots in August 2007 along witha 3XL bush shirt.

You then contacted us about the soles in May 2008.

For all we knew at the time you could have walked around the world in nine months.

So my reply is based on the fact that this was not a problem with a new pair of boots, in fact far from it. If fact I wish I could get through life sending all my clothing and footwear back for repair or replacement after nine months of use.

Had your boots been made in early 2009 they would have been amongst those of which some had issues. As far as we are aware all of those have been dealt with and we have chaged makers, soles and glue since then.
I'd assume that somebody could scuff the front of the soles of any boots after nine months.

However I am glad to hear that you still find your boots comfortable after four years and still wear them after repairing the minor damge to the sole.

In future if you do have any issues with our products or service please feel free to contact us via the normal channels.

Roger

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I thought I would update this thread to let people know what has happened in my 'minimalist footwear' life in the last couple of years. I am still on the look out for the perfect flat soled boot; waterproof with some protection in wet and cold conditions. I bought a pair of duckfeet http://www.duckfeet.com/duckfeet-womens-collection/duckfeet-faborg-detail a couple of years ago and have been wearing them ever since and even though they are great for camp life, strong and tough and although not waterproof, dry out very quickly (they are made of 100% natural materials) they are not comfortable for long distance walking, I have no real feel of the ground and they are heavy.

In the summer I wear Vibram Five Fingers, bare feet or Vivo barefoot 'sneakers'.

Another reason why I started this thread up again is that last weekend at the Bushcraft Show in Derby I spoke to a guy called Pablo from Woodlife (who actually posted on this thread two years ago) about his Vivo Barefoot boots he was wearing at the time. He told me that the company were developing a mark 2 version of this boot as they experienced problems with the first version, namely that the boot lasted only a couple of months before it fell apart. Pablo himself is actually part of the testing team. I am really excited about this and I am going to ask Pablo to post on this thread to give us some more details and links.

These boots could be the answer to my search.......

I hope so, as I plan to do some serious bushcrafting in the next year and need some footwear thats going to stand up to the job. Anyway, how has everyone else been doing on their barefoot boot search? Treadlightly, how is the state of play with you? Please let me know, I'd love to hear how people have been getting on in the last couple of years since this thread started.

cheers.

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I thought I would update this thread to let people know what has happened in my 'minimalist footwear' life in the last couple of years. I am still on the look out for the perfect flat soled boot; waterproof with some protection in wet and cold conditions. I bought a pair of duckfeet http://www.duckfeet.com/duckfeet-womens-collection/duckfeet-faborg-detail a couple of years ago and have been wearing them ever since and even though they are great for camp life, strong and tough and although not waterproof, dry out very quickly (they are made of 100% natural materials) they are not comfortable for long distance walking, I have no real feel of the ground and they are heavy.

In the summer I wear Vibram Five Fingers, bare feet or Vivo barefoot 'sneakers'.

Another reason why I started this thread up again is that last weekend at the Bushcraft Show in Derby I spoke to a guy called Pablo from Woodlife (who actually posted on this thread two years ago) about his Vivo Barefoot boots he was wearing at the time. He told me that the company were developing a mark 2 version of this boot as they experienced problems with the first version, namely that the boot lasted only a couple of months before it fell apart. Pablo himself is actually part of the testing team. I am really excited about this and I am going to ask Pablo to post on this thread to give us some more details and links.

These boots could be the answer to my search.......

I hope so, as I plan to do some serious bushcrafting in the next year and need some footwear thats going to stand up to the job. Anyway, how has everyone else been doing on their barefoot boot search? Treadlightly, how is the state of play with you? Please let me know, I'd love to hear how people have been getting on in the last couple of years since this thread started.

cheers.

Hi Tawnyhare,

I was at the Bushcraft Show too, sorry I missed you. My main bushy footwear consists of the Bison Bushcraft lightweight boots and a pair of Soft Star mocassin-type shoes with a thin vibram rubber sole. Alas I find i wear my 5fingers less and less these days, reserving them for longer hikes. I saw Pablo's boots too but didn't talk to him about them.

I wear the BB boots in all weathers. They served me well through last winter and with a pair of thick wool socks, it doesn't matter how wet they get I find.
The Soft Stars are great, much lighter at around 450g per pair and are very comfortable and versatile. I wear them with or without socks depending on the conditions.
Another thing is because both are all leather (apart from the sole) they don't smell however long you wear them. In fact I had both with me at the Bushcraft Show.

A longer length barefoot boot would be interesting of the type that Llwyd made himself recently.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi TL, oh so sorry to have missed you last weekend, if only I had known in advance, we could have had a long conversation about the Bisons. Well they seem to have served you well then, yes? I think if these Vivos don't work out I will bite the bullet and shell out for the Bisons. I am very committed to 100% natural materials. My husband has a pair of soft star shoes and wears them to formal occasions as they pass off as dressier shoes, however he uses the Merrell Trail Glove when hiking or goes barefoot, he is very committed, unlike me who prefers something a little cosier esp. in winter. If you saw a barefoot bald bloke at the show that would have been my husband! He runs regularly on the snow in winter but I am not prepared to do that and I wear mukluks when it is snowy (we live in the mountains). I have to say that I am wearing my 5fingers less and less too, only in high summer really now.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with a pull on calf length boot, I saw some people wearing them at the BC show, but I don't think they are for hiking in :)

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi TL, oh so sorry to have missed you last weekend, if only I had known in advance, we could have had a long conversation about the Bisons. Well they seem to have served you well then, yes? I think if these Vivos don't work out I will bite the bullet and shell out for the Bisons. I am very committed to 100% natural materials. My husband has a pair of soft star shoes and wears them to formal occasions as they pass off as dressier shoes, however he uses the Merrell Trail Glove when hiking or goes barefoot, he is very committed, unlike me who prefers something a little cosier esp. in winter. If you saw a barefoot bald bloke at the show that would have been my husband! He runs regularly on the snow in winter but I am not prepared to do that and I wear mukluks when it is snowy (we live in the mountains). I have to say that I am wearing my 5fingers less and less too, only in high summer really now.

I was wondering if anyone has had success with a pull on calf length boot, I saw some people wearing them at the BC show, but I don't think they are for hiking in :)

i miss my soft star shoes. now i go running in a pair of viking turnshoes i made myself. still working on getting my pattern right though

as for pull of calf boots see my thread here had these over a year and still going strong

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Hi Tawnyhare and all,

Lee Saxby http://trainingclinic.vivobarefoot.com/lee-saxby/ who is the biomech at Vivo is a regular on our courses. We've been trialling Vivos all over europe and to be honest they are a disappointment in repsect of manufacturing processes. But they have listened to our feedback and a version 2 is coming out. I'll keep this thread updated as and when we have release dates.

Anyone who does';t know about Vivo Off-roads http://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/off-road/off-road-hi-mens-2013.html they are incredibly comfortable, completely waterproof and thornproof and encourage the wearer to walk in barefoot style.

Have a look at the video as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MIAdyAtk4M

Cheers for now,

Pablo

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I'm interested in this thread.

I've gone from wearing orthotics (and support trainers for running) to correct flat feet to wearing lighter, lower heeled shoes, casual footwear and running shoes. I've concentrated on improving my gait/form and my feet and knees are feeling great. I have found that Onitsuka Tiger shoes (when broken in) fit my feet really well.

I'm looking for some waterproof low/mid walking shoes with a flat-ish sole. Most walking boots have substantial heels on them. I'm interested in the Vivo. There are some local-ish stockists so I'll check them out.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Personally I have been using a pair of Clarks (yes the high street shoe shop!!) Desert boots in leather, not suede. For me perfect and very similar to some of the boots discussed here. Comfortable, good feel of the ground, dry very fast, seem to be pretty durable so far.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Continuing my search for minimal bushcraft shoes. This is turning into an epic, but a good resource nonetheless. I saw two new sources yesterday on the net.

The Mini-Mil combat boot:
Not really my style, but may interest somebody who likes the military look and needs the grip. Available on eBay UK sent from the US.
A review here: http://birthdayshoes.com/minimalist-barefoot-military-combat-boot-mini-mil-tr101
jyhu9aja.jpg

Conker shoes:
a handmade boot shop in Devon that will resole your boots when they wear out. The Derby boots are cheaper than Bison Bushcraft boots with a higher top. They also do nice desert boots, worth a look. The turnaround is a month and they have half sizes, and three width fittings. The natural crepe sole is flat with a tiny heel. I have some boots with these soles already and they are very comfortable.

http://conkershoes.com/shop/derby-boot/107/33/#.UdZ8q8saySM
http://conkershoes.com/shop/desert-boot/107/6/#.UdZ8cssaySM

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I am just about to place an order for a pair of these boots for autumn ..
zumubaza.jpg
with a FLAT tyre tread sole instead of the sole seen on the photo. The company is greenshoes.co.uk, they have a range of handmade boots and shoes and all can be made with flat tyre tread or flat natural crepe soles. You have the option of vegan leather and some styles have the option of 'ecotan' vegetable processed and dyed leather for £10 extra, but not these hiking boots unfortunately. They are £198 and they can be resoled by the same company. You have to provide an outline drawing of your feet and width measurements in order for them to make your shoes for you, it takes about a month, I looked at their blog and they are a small company working in Totnes, Devon.

Compared to the Conker Derby shoes, which only come in half sizes and the regular width settings, this company will make shoes to your exact measurements according to the outline of your feet ;) I like.

Link to hiking boots: http://www.greenshoes.co.uk/index.php?f=shop&p=product&id=162&c=women&t=3&start=16

For the moment I am wearing my new merrell trail gloves, Vibram 5fingers or bare feet, but it is summer after all ;)

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Apart from the Greenshoes above most of the lightweight/ barefoot shoes seem to have a standard (read narrow) toebox
At least the Vivos i have use a wider toebox - but I heard the off roads use a smaller last (I have a pair of the Ra shoes)
I'm hoping to pop into the Vivo shop in London tomorrow so will have a look at them both
I do like the greenshoes though, they look much wider

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I agree with you Buckshot, my merrell trail gloves are too narrow for me, 5fingers are wide, vivos are wide and the guys at green shoes says they will make the shoes according to the drawing of your feet, so will be as wide as your feet are ;) they are truly making them for your feet and nobody else's ;) from what I gather, they do not use lasts but start from scratch every time,

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm interested in this thread.

I've gone from wearing orthotics (and support trainers for running) to correct flat feet to wearing lighter, lower heeled shoes, casual footwear and running shoes. I've concentrated on improving my gait/form and my feet and knees are feeling great. I have found that Onitsuka Tiger shoes (when broken in) fit my feet really well.

I'm looking for some waterproof low/mid walking shoes with a flat-ish sole. Most walking boots have substantial heels on them. I'm interested in the Vivo. There are some local-ish stockists so I'll check them out.

Please ignore. Posted by mistake

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Don't know if anyone's mentioned inov8 running shoes yet? They do a series of footwear, some waterproof that go from standard trail running shoes to their Zero range which is like running/walking barefoot. More info here. LINK.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I got my greenshoes.co.uk hiking boots through the post today for a fitting, they came with a temporary sole so that I can try them on round the house and see how they fit, then I am gonna send them back with any comments for them to reshape the uppers before they put the permanent sole on. I have to say they are really soft and fit amazingly well, even though I am going to ask if they can widen the toe box a little at the sides as my little toes feel slightly squeezed in.

They are still rough around the edges, not finished yet, but even now after about half an hour of use I can see the shape of my feet moulding the leather perfectly. One shoe looks slightly bigger than the other, and that is cos I have one foot slightly bigger than the other, so they really have been made to fit my feet and no one else's ;) I am looking forward to seeing them when they are finished complete with the thin tyre tread sole. I will put up another photo when I get them back all done and dusted.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377273783.863694.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377273783.863694.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377273798.481903.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1377273798.481903.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 13

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE