DIY waterproof Mukluks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not want to sound condescending or nasty, but I think your thoughts are going in the wrong direction.
Insulating layer: If you do not want socks - insulated natural fibers or a square piece of wowen fabric or felt to wrap your foot in.
Outer water proof layer - waxed or oiled leather. Shoe, mukluk, or just a simple square you wrap around and tie with strips of leather or rope.

During WW2, on the horrendous Eastern Front, Wehrmacht failed in providing the soldiers with sufficient winter gear. So they used the square piece of leather and wrapped the feet in a wool wrapping.

My own foot wear I have been using for 35 years + is a simple leather boot, uninsulated, about 2 sizes to big. For summer use I have a perforated plastic insole and wear a couple of socks (to fill the space). skin layer - silk, then two cotton socks.
Wintertime I use a cut sheepskin insole, skin close sock of cotton and outer sock of thick wool.
I have been in temperatures down to -50C, and have all me toes still.

The leather boots are well oiled and waxed Redwings, from buffalo skin ( says so on the label) and Vibram soles. Am now on my third soles. Will last me my life out.

Last edited:

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
you will have to do it the same as the sami using natural material for insulation

theres a video of it on a ray mears vid.

http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/ec8076e61...-stuffed-with-grass-for-insulation-be6p6n.jpg

[h=2]CLOTHING[/h] Some, but not all, Sami still wear the group's brightly colored traditional clothing. It is most easily recognizable by the distinctive bands of bright red and yellow patterns against a deep blue background of wool or felt. These bands appear as decorations on men's tunics (gaktis), as borders on the women's skirts, and on the hats of both sexes. Men's hats vary by region; some are cone-shaped while others have four corners. Women and girls may drape fringed scarves around their shoulders. Warm reindeer-skin coats are worn by both sexes.

"The Sami wear moccasins of reindeer skin with turned-up toes, fastened with ribbons. However, they wear no socks. Instead, they stuff their moccasins with soft sedge grass to protect their feet against the cold and dampness".

Read more: http://www.everyculture.com/wc/Norway-to-Russia/Sami.html#ixzz4RWkO4yHv

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The toes are up turned so they fit into the traditional ski bindings. Looks like a a loop.
They not only used sedges, but hay made from a kind of fine grass and also the fluffy white seed pods from a marsh plant.
To water proof they used a mix of fat ( preferably from bear) mixed with tar. Waterproofs and preserves the leather.

One of my soldiers, a Same, had permission to use his traditional footwear. That is why I know what they used.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Breathability. It in now generally known that any fabric that claims breathabilty loses this when the outer shell wets out fully. In clothing, most systems that breath enough not to build up much condensation are not really waterproof, more just water resistant. Things like Buffalo Pertex/Pile handle cold wet weather well, but are not technically waterproof.

For footwear it seems like you either need to go with a totally waterproof layer and deal with the internally generated moisture being unable to escape, or come up with a system that keeps you warm even if it is soaked, or better yet, something that drains and dries fast enough that it doesn't stay soaked and continues to keep you warm. Once wet this latter won't be breathing your internal generated moisture either, but in dry conditions it might.

Has anyone tried or know about oiled wool? Lanolin soaked wool keeps the sheep warm in the wet, and sheep don't groom their coats the way that many fur dependent animals do.

Systems like Buffalo and Paramo (particularly their Torres) use an outer shell that impedes water, dissipates the force of rain, beads it and spreads it, over the top of a fleece or fibre insulation (like animal fur) that is treated to repel water. Neither would be all that waterproof by themselves but they work together. The treated "fur" does not readily wick moisture from the wetted outer shell, so the inside is kept fairly dry.

Interesting design problem you have set :)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I like Janne's approach.

There is a third way that is traditional to the middle of England and other countries, and that is to use clogs.

To summarise, the three approaches are:

Totally waterproof outer (e.g. wellington boots)

Breathable boots (e.g. leather outer with wool socks)

Let your feet get wet (bare feet or sandals or 'real' brogues which were a leather shoe with lots of holes to let the water out).

Walking in Scotland on the highlands or the moors of north england from autumn to end of spring means walking through boggy wet ground that is often at or near freezing temperatures. I found that when my feet were toughened for barefoot walking I could tolerate it fine, but that's not for everyone (and I'm including walking in snow and through streams skimmed with ice). I think once you are stationary that you need extra insulation on feet, just like on the body, so what about some 'camp boots'? These need not be as heavy-duty as stuff for walking, so could be water-resistant, easy to slip on/off and warm. Something like the naff Ugg boots but heavily treated with lanolin maybe.
Short welly boots oversized with wool liners are very practical for camp wear.

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Interesting ideas - if I were able to find readily available natural alternatives to socks out and about I would but i'm quite happy using wool socks and a felted wool bootie for now. I don't think I want togo 100% traditional, I just want to move away from having to use my current system of a neoprene water shoe over a gore-tex sock.

The lanolin idea is interesting, I have seen images floating around of a felted wool bootie with a sort of leather sandal laced to the bottom for durability. If that felt could be waterproofed with lanolin that could make some very interesting footwear - perhaps something like this?
d8d6e44cb9f54352c729ed67b480403d.jpg

I also didn't realise the sami moccasins were oiled to be waterproof, that is interesting - I think waterproofing the traditional materials seems to be the way to go.

I am still very open to the idea of going totally barefoot, that would be the only 'let the feet get wet' option I would be happy with - I hate the feeling of squelchy insulation, no matter ho warm-when-wet it is! I have some camp booties (just cheap fluffy slipper boots) and some lightweight waterproof motorcycle over-boots for toilet trips in wet grass - I never thought of putting them on for when I am stationary during the day though, thats good idea.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I do not think you can get felt waterproof as the gaps between the fibers is too long. Moisture proof only.
But if you should get it soaked, then the water will drain quickly.
And as an added bonus your skin is oiled so it will not soak up any water (-no blisters).

Yes, clogs are not a bad idea. In Sweden we used to wear wooden clogs with a leater top all through my childhood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE