Bison Bushcraft Boot or any other thin-soled walking boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Has anyone got a pair of Bison Bushcraft Boots as seen on this page:

http://www.bisonbushcraft.co.uk/page27/page27.html

and do they recommend them for walking/stalking/general camp boots? How about their waterproof-ness? How about the sizing?

I am looking for thin-soled hiking boots with some grip to them, as I wear 'barefoot' shoes most of the time and just cannot wear the regular heavy-soled boots (I am trying a pair of Brashers at the moment but they are killing me!) so I want something like a barefoot shoe which is a little more substantial for walking in wet weather possibly combined with gaiters......

thanks

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
They are superb stalking tracking boots and when dubbed very water resistant , watch out for the new tracking boot ive asked for in the near future from Bison im sure they will be a big hit !!!! ;)

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hi Dreadhead, thanks - I wear vivo barefoot shoes and VFFs most days - they are very similar to the softstars, they are great for everyday use, but I find that I need a little more grip and waterproofing whilst out in the woods. But I need to keep with the completely flat sole, any padding hurts now after wearing the vivos for a year or so......

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
got pair in May and took them too finland covering quite a few miles in them. Very comfortable very light and quiet fold up to nothing as a second pair for around the camp. They do feel very different to normal boots though if your used to structured footwear though it sound like this wont be an issue for you. They get my thumbs up

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Lune, I'm in exactly the same boat so will watch this thread with interest.

There was a pair of the BB boots for sale at last year's Moot and I would have had them if they had been my size. Very flexible, reasonably light and the leather looked like it could be made water resistant. I have thought of getting a pair but they are expensive and I hesitate to buy shoes off the internet.

I wear VFF leather KSO treks spring through autumn in the woods and love them. But, they have no water resistance so your feet get wet and stay wet if it is cool and damp through the day. That's OK unless it gets below 6-7C when merino-based toesocks help provide some warmth. But in winter I find I need something more substantial and, like you, can't bear to use my old heavy boots after going "barefoot".

I have looked at the boots you mention and tried them on in a shop. They are very light with a reasonably grippy sole but I'm not sure they were meant for tough outdoor use.

Feelmax did a boot called the Kuuva made of an artificial canvas which they claim is water-resistant and has been well-reviewed in the US. Again expensive and it seems not to be available for the time being due to production problems.

Last edited:

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Check out http://chuckleshoes.co.uk/ The maker is ex-military and will bend over backwards to accomodate your own design ideas, including things like thin soles. Excellent quality.

I don't actually own a pair, but I live in Devon and know a few pairs of feet who do! Really top quality and British made too.

(no affiliation blablablableepbloop)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bucketosudz

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2010
UT-USA
Russell Moccasin in the US is also making a minimalist boot. A fellow that runs in Vibram Five Fingers and such requested them so they made them an option on there website. I know it is a stretch but thought it might be worth mentioning. They also build them to YOUR foot so it takes the guess work out of fitment. I am looking at a pair of these for Fall/Winter season.
Here is the boots: http://www.russellmoccasin.com/new_products/minimalist_footwear.html

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hey, the chuckle shoes look great! I love this pair:
http://chuckleshoes.co.uk/gallery/graphics/pairs_3//image/Pic_0036.jpg with a flatter sole perhaps.
its difficult for me to get to Exeter though, I wonder if they do the service through the post?

The KSO's are great, treadlightly, but I get so miserable when they are wet!!!!! I am going to try and make myself a pair of boots soon, I have bought some vibram soling material and will be getting some leather too. If anyone knows of any youtube videos for making your own boots.....would be appreciated, I may pst a new thread on this soon.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I saw the russell moccasin - they look good, shame that they have to come all the way from the US, I would rather stay closer to home and use local people myself. Thanks for mentioning it though, it will be good to fall back on if the others do not work out.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Chuckle shoes look interesting. Might contact them to find out prices but I bet they are expensive being hand made. yep, wet feet is the price I pay for my 5 fingers. I spent Sunday/Monday in the woods with wet feet. it was bearable but would not have been if it had been much colder.

Lune, good luck with your project.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I have compromised with my Brashers, which I have just bought to trial out for a fortnight, I have just played around with the insoles, replacing the narrow insoles that came with the shoe with my wide vivo barefoot insoles plus half another insole just fitted into the toe area to raise it up so that it feels more "flat". But I don't think this will be satisfactory enough for me and I think they will be going back to the shop.

Since going 'barefoot' my feet have grown one size and gone from the thinnest width measurement to the second to widest, so it is really important that I get that spread out toe feeling - normal shoes just feel too constricting.

To be quite honest with you I prefer the slightly thicker sole when it is wet as it gives me more grip and stops me from slipping on hills and I love the strong leather for protection against falling logs whilst chopping wood etc. but I cannot handle the heel that most hiking boots have as standard, even if it is just a few mms - plus the stiffness of the soles mean that all ground feel is lost and I would never want to lose the feeling one gets with VFF's - it just makes you so much more aware of everything underfoot, which I think is so important.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have the rogue boots and the Bisons. The rogues have a bit of a heel but more flex than normal hiking boots and are tougher leather than the bisons. The bisons are so much more comfy though.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
the better the workmanship and smaller the business the more you pay more like if you want mass produced stuff made en mass in a sweat shop somewhere and its a compromise to what you really want then buy cheap and buy twice as i recollect some ones old mad granny saying..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE