Vivo Barefoot off road hi boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
A quick review of my new boots. No pictures, you can find them on google easily enough.

First, my reason for purchase.
I've been after a pair of boots with little or no heel rise and a flexible sole for some time now, as I've spent most of my life in flat soled skate shoes. Not that I haven't had climbing/hiking boots, just never got on with them. La Chameau Mouflon plus being a slight exception, still have them but rarely wear them now.

I was hoping to get a pair of boots made to measure by a company in Devon however despite several emails and foot drawings sent, I never received anything but an automated reply.

So, back to the internet I went and purchased the Vivo Barefoot off road hi boots.

Initial impressions are good, they are lightweight, very flexible, and comfortable. I bought the size recommended by their size guide, which was bang on the money for thin socks, pointless wearing thick socks any way. I have wide feet, and while they are snug on the width, they are much more generous than many shoes I've tried, being leather i expect them to stretch a little.
While these are advertised as a minimalist shoe, the have quite a thick sole if you include the four mm lugs on the bottom, so quite a bit more chunky than Vibram Five fingers etc. They do have a removable in-sole which I will probably remove shortly.
Took the dog for a walk along the beach for their first trial. Very nice, walking is a pleasure in them, they feel very light, and walking feels so much easier in them. Interesting to note my foot prints in the sand are much more even than the footprints from conventional boots.

Things I don't like-
Made in China, not a problem on quality, just that I would prefer home made.
The colour, they only come in Brown, I prefer black.

I shall update as they get more use and abuse.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Hamish your review set me on the path to bespoke boots, but the Brodequin boots weren't quite what I was after, so I found another maker in Devon, but due to a lack of a response I ended up with these.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
P1070401.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What is the longevity of boots like these? Some boots I can tear up within weeks and others have been faithful for a decade or more (resoling once in a blue moon).

While I'd like to ease the burden on my aging toots, I'm concerned that they'll not last.

ATB

Ogri the trog

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
This is a difficult question to answer as some people are heavier on footwear than others. Also, I don't own the VB hi boots. But I have used lightweight footwear for three years now and, generally speaking, longevity has not been a problem.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I cant say for the VB boots as I have only just got them, but an interesting comment from when I purchased my Vibram five fingers,from the salesman (he did seem very genuine and not just giving me a sales pitch), was that one of his friends who was a serious runner was getting approximately twice the mileage out of his VFF's compared to conventional running shoes.
Personally, if I get 6 months out of a pair shoes I'm quite happy. My work boots, high quality ones, can get trashed in as little as 3 months.
Since last January I have trashed 2 pairs of trainers, 1 pair of Ecco boots, 1 pair of Kynox work boots (due for another pair), while also wearing my La Chameaus, Vibram five fingers and Ecco sandals, and I go barefoot as much as possible.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
What's the toe box of these VB hi boots like?
Aren't some of the VB boots made on a different last with a smaller toe box?

Cheers

Mark

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Yes I have have a pair of Ra's
The toe box is great, nice and wide
I did hear from various places that some of thier trainer style shoes and boots have a small toe box and wondered how these are

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I can't compare the toe box on these to other VB shoes, but several reviews I've read say that these boots are narrower than their other styles.
Personally I have wide feet, and the toe box is snug but not tight.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thanks for the review! I currently use Vivobarefoot NeoTrails outside. I love them, but I could use something warmer for winter. Seems they have the same sole with the same thread. I have just ordered my second pair after wearing the first one for about a year and the thread is starting to fall apart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE