Best stove for bushcraft???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I went for the heavier one as well - still only 61/2 oz though.

I know what you mean about heat regulation. I'm trying to get used to this by adding or not adding so much wood and also varying the size of the wood pieces. A single larger piece of wood produces a kind of simmer effect. I still have to lift the billy or frying pan off now and then. Perhaps a reflection on how efficient the stove is.

I use a 14cm billy which seems to distribute the heat ok.

Pablo.

am i right in assuming this is a basic wood Gas fire ????

does the center pot (were the wood goes ) have holes at the bottom as well ??
i cant fins a CSA drawing of it though ive found how to make a wood gas burner that looks similer to this out of 2 sized tea cans

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3297/index.html

this one they cut the bottom of the internal pot out and put in a grid to hold the fire

ATB

Duncan

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Open fire would seem first choice for bushcraft camping then I would pick a stove off my shelf as back up, Optimus Nova, Primus Multifuel, Primus Varifuel, Optimus 111, 111T, 111C, 123, 123R, 199 Ranger, Ranger 10, Sigg Tourist, Optimus 8, Primus 1, 2, 5, 96, 210, 221, Army No.7, 12, 2, the list goes on.

The best stove for bushcrafting is the one that suits your needs and are happy with, very subjective really, with no clear winner

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Just got one myself and will post a mini review soon.

Pablo.

Looking forward to reading that Pablo,
I very nearly bought one on sight earlier in this thread but something made me stop and wait. If they really are as good as they claim, I'll order one, but I'd like to read your comments from some "real-life" experience before I commit.

ATB

Ogri the trog

am i right in assuming this is a basic wood Gas fire ????

does the center pot (were the wood goes ) have holes at the bottom as well ??
i cant fins a CSA drawing of it though ive found how to make a wood gas burner that looks similer to this out of 2 sized tea cans

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/3297/index.html

this one they cut the bottom of the internal pot out and put in a grid to hold the fire

ATB

Duncan

Yes Duncan - you're correct. The base of the inner firebox has a nichrome wire mesh grate and there are also holes at the top of the inner - this is where the flames are generated from. It is a basic woodgas design (but not a down draught powered version) and the point of it is that it burns very efficiently and cleanly with no smoke (white powdered ash is all that's left. I've kept mine going for over three hours and only stopped it because I got bored!
It's expensive (approx £50 incl pp) but beautifully handmade and will last forever. Chuck a Trangia burner in for when there isn't suitable wood and you will always be sorted for cooking outdoors.
That's all for now as I don't want to undermine Pablo's upcoming review - he's a much better reviewer than me!

Yes Duncan - you're correct. The base of the inner firebox has a nichrome wire mesh grate and there are also holes at the top of the inner - this is where the flames are generated from. It is a basic woodgas design (but not a down draught powered version) and the point of it is that it burns very efficiently and cleanly with no smoke (white powdered ash is all that's left. I've kept mine going for over three hours and only stopped it because I got bored!
It's expensive (approx £50 incl pp) but beautifully handmade and will last forever. Chuck a Trangia burner in for when there isn't suitable wood and you will always be sorted for cooking outdoors.
That's all for now as I don't want to undermine Pablo's upcoming review - he's a much better reviewer than me!

thanks i assume its a small version of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wc8aqW4XBs

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I suppose I should mention my hobo stove.

Wayland-Stove.jpg

It works for me as it is so fuel flexible.

I have had loads of stoves over the years and the best ones allways seem to be the ones that you make yourself. They can be small and light, wood or meths and you get a sense of satisfaction when you use them. These are a couple of my latest ones.

fire06.jpg

fire04.jpg

fire05.jpg

The meths burner is made from a deoderant spray can, It's like a trangia one but with an afterburner and only takes 15 secs to full burn. I don't have a photo burning wood yet.
The woodburner stove comes apart when you remove the two rods at the pan stand.
Cheers
John

Afterburner? How does that work?

BossCat

Tenderfoot
Dec 11, 2008
Scotland
Jon1 nice stove mate. Any further forward with your new one? and chance of showing us photos of it dismantled and how it was made?

fire05.jpg

Thanks
Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE